January 19th, 2011 | EarthBound 64, Images

Pippo sent this in a little while ago:

Hi, Mister Tomato!

Here are 12 scans from N64 Magazine, which was a UK mag from the late 90s/early 00s. They’re all previews and gossip for Mother 3, naturally, except for a scan of a competition where readers had to send in US-related items to win an N64. Note the Mach Pizza air freshener!

You can see all the scans here:

Some of the details are interesting, though the one about EB64’s cancellation is a bit wrong – Itoi never promised that the work would be used for GameCube stuff. I also don’t know why they say Ness and Jeff were going to be in the game, and I definitely don’t know who these “Great Inobaba” and “Carby” characters are. They’re sure not familiar faces to me!

Still, it’s neat seeing what they had to say about the game over the years, it’s like seeing things from a different perspective. I wonder, if EarthBound 64 had been released in North America, how likely would a European release have been?

16 Comments to EarthBound 64 in N64 Magazine

fael said on Jan. 19, 2011

hehe, they were making things up.

trolling is a art, isn’t it?

TMF128 said on Jan. 19, 2011

Wow, thats a great find

Nesskid said on Jan. 20, 2011

I’d say we’ve got 3-5 years until the demo or dev cart for EB64 surface somewhere, I wait for the day.

psi wolf said on Jan. 20, 2011

Read the first page. Some things I noticed…
>They mispelled Itoi’s name in the first sentence. (Ito? Who’s that?)

>”…but the SNES-based sequel made it over to America as earthbound where it met with great success”

…If they’re talking about sales, I don’t think EB was a “great success”. They could be talking about the devoted fanbase, but around the time this mag was published I don’t even think the EB community was that big… but what do I know, I was born in ’95.

May be other mistakes but I’m too tired to read through the rest right now.

SoulSlappy said on Jan. 20, 2011

Seeing those Nintendo 64 screenshots were very interesting. Especially the forest with the large pipe though the middle of it. It makes me wonder if parts of the game were pre rendered or not…

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 20, 2011

It’s nice that we can still get some interesting information on EB 64, considering it was cancled about 10 years ago. I’m suprised an EB 64 prototype hasn’t surfaced yet. Maybe this just means NCL is more protective of it’s protos.

? said on Jan. 20, 2011

God, I can’t wait for the day when the M3 64 proto gets spread out to the internet. you know how cryptic and goofy that thing’s going to be.

I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 20, 2011

?:
I agree with what you said. I hope something neat happens that’s EB related when I’m alive to. Man, sometimes I think I was born to late.

Miche said on Jan. 20, 2011

As soemone who’s read and looked at everything about EarthBound 64 that she’s been able to find, I say that the EarthBound 64 articles in this post are definitely fake ones, either made by trolls or bored, drunken fans. They repeatedly misspell names (Shigesato Ito? Salso?), make character names up (Great Inobaba and Carby), and seem to have a fixation on Dr. Andonuts’ fondness of donuts. Also, all the screenshots they use can be easily found on Starmen or from the game’s preview video, and the articles provide absolutely no previously unknown, credible information about the game.

I hope that someone gets ahold of at least the EB64 demo (if not a development cartridge) sometime within my lifetime and releases it online, or at the very least we learn a lot of previously-unknown information about the game with more screenshots, music, and even videos. I’m always hoping for that day.

Pippo said on Jan. 20, 2011

Pippo here 🙂 The articles are definitely real, I can take photographs of the magazines I scanned them from if need be. Console RPGs back then weren’t as prevalent or popular in the UK back then as they are now, so maybe the article writers didn’t give enough priority to fact-checking as they should have. Thought they would be of interest anyway, despite the errors.

MoonSide said on Jan. 20, 2011

Can I get that 100 yen, now? 😀

I think the facts are off because they didn’t have enough information to write about and they needed to make a presentable article that would captivate the readers. In the later articles, they make appropriate changes (namely, Ito to Itoi). I think they feared that the 64DD was going to fail and they wanted as much info for the readers to be interested by the new attachment and the impressive launch games with that.

Hopefully the demo or development cart gets out, that would be amazing to view.

Thanks for the scans, Pippo!

8BitWalugi said on Jan. 20, 2011

To be honest, looking at those articles and seeing how psyched they were for the 64DD and Mother 3 DD, it’s kind of funny knowing what the outcome for both was, then seeing what their reaction was. And I think they were just trying to re-assure their readers that Mother 3 will eventually come out so they didn’t waste 5 years documenting it and hyping it up, only for the game to be cancelled (And then released for the GBA in ’06 and fan translated in ’08. Thanks Mato! 😀 )

sci said on Jan. 21, 2011

8BitWalugi: actually, it’s kind of depressing watching the tone go from “this is coming out and it looks great” to “this is officially canceled”.

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2011

Did I see the hippie in the group photo? O_O

Miche said on Jan. 22, 2011

Yup, that’s the hippie. I kind of have this theory that originally Reggie (the character, not Fils-Aimé) was going to look like the hippies in MOTHER 1 and 2, but that somewhere along the lines they decided to change his design. (I also have a theory that Yosaku from EarthBound 64 eventually became Isaac, but that’s for another day.)

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2011

^ I actually thought the hippie was going to be either the item guy or another random npc ಠ_ಠ

Also, People say that the Ness seen in earlier screenshots was a beta design for Lucas, but in the pic of everyone by the sidewalk cafe you see Lucas AND the Ness-lookalike. Hm..