MOTHER 1 GAME GUIDE BOOK FC NES Japanese 1

January 20th, 2011 | EarthBound 64, Interviews

Last year, we happened to find EarthBound 64’s enemy designer on Twitter, Toshinao Aoki. Chewy was kind enough to contact him about answering some interview questions so we could get some more insight about the game. I also put up a post asking for question suggestions from fans here, though the majority of the suggestions were questions that the mere enemy designer wouldn’t be able to answer :P

Anyway, he kindly answered some of Chewy’s questions, but after a while they just sort of fell out of contact. Sadly, his answers didn’t give much info that we didn’t already know. It almost sounded like it was “just another job” that’s long forgotten now.

Here’s the short interview, translated into English:

Have you played through the GBA version of MOTHER 3? I’m interested in how much of the 64 version made it into the GBA version. If you did play it, what did you think? And how similar is the final product to the original 64 version?

I haven’t played the GBA version, so I’m not sure, but I heard that the story is almost identical. I think the music director in the GBA version is the same as that of the 64 version, too.

The graphics are completely different though, as you know. The GBA version is much closer to the style of MOTHER 2.

When you designed the monsters, were you told to make them specifically similar—or different—in style to those of MOTHER 1 and 2, or were you given completely free reign in their design? Also, were there any plans for monsters from previous games to appear in MOTHER 3?

I had complete freedom. There were no plans to use monsters from previous games.

There’s a limited amount of media released from the 64 version, so I’m especially curious about it, but what was that blue round monster with the big mouth? He didn’t show up in the GBA version.

That’s one of the monsters. He moves by rolling forward, so his tentative name was “Rolly”. (In Japanese: Korogari-kun)

Other than that one, were there any other monsters that did not appear in the GBA version? If there were, what kind of monsters were they? (I’m really interested in how many of the 64 version monsters made it into the final GBA version!)

I haven’t played the GBA version, so I’m not sure. I’m sorry.

Since the game had the subtitle “Fall of the Pig King,” I assume that Pokey was set to appear in the 64 version, too. Were you involved in any of Pokey’s design in the game? Was the spider mech he’s laying in also part of the 64 version?

Since Pokey was to appear in the 64 version, too, I designed Pokey, his team, and the place he lived in. The spider mech was in the 64 version, too, but since I haven’t played the GBA version, I’m not sure if the design was the same in the end.

When you design monsters, where do you generally get your inspiration from? Do you always aim for a certain kind of style?

Not really. I just come up with them off the top of my head.

What is your favorite monster out of the ones you designed for MOTHER 3?

Hmm, that’s a hard question (laughs). It was such a long time ago that I don’t really remember anything, but I liked the Kraken.

Did the Ultimate Chimera show up in the 64 version, too? If it did, were you the one that designed it?

I don’t remember if there was an Ultimate Chimera in the game, but I did design several chimeras.

22 Comments to EarthBound 64 Enemy Designer Interview

Starstormer said on Jan. 20, 2011

I didn’t know about the spider mech. Yeah quit a bit of the stuff people already know but I learned a little from this.

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 20, 2011

If only we could still be in contact with him. It’s interesting for me to learn about what was and compare it to what is.

Miche said on Jan. 20, 2011

Ooooh! The interview has finally been posted!

Interesting that Toshinao Aoki got to design not only the enemies, but also Porky and even the place he lived (which I assume to mean that he designed the Empire Porky Tower). Shame, though, that he couldn’t answer any more of the questions than he did; still, it’s some more info about EarthBound 64.

PKNuMan said on Jan. 20, 2011

This wasn’t very informative but I learned some stuff.
I’m seriously curious how this dude designed Pokey’s mech.
Like, it’s totally rocking my brain now geezzzz…

I really dig the design of Earthbound 64 so kudos to him

Namine207 said on Jan. 20, 2011

I would really like to find out if he has any pictures of how Pokey was supposed to look in the game. So far, I haven’t been able to find any information. Also, I would like to see if he knows anything about the original subtitle “Forest of the Chimera”, and how the storyline changed while under these two subtitles.

[...] Full interview here [...]

Random Guardian said on Jan. 20, 2011

I would KILL for a longer interveiw… or I could just live with this ;)

Anouki Agent Yellow said on Jan. 20, 2011

For some reason the more I learn about Earthbound 64 the more I think that it being canceled and then ressurected for the gameboy advance was a really good thing. It’s not that I’m not interested in what could have been, I just think the game turned out better this way.

siefier said on Jan. 20, 2011

did he say he liked designing the kraken? hmmm i dont remember on in the gba so unless he was talking about EB im wondering why a kraken wasnt used again.

Mato said on Jan. 20, 2011

The supposed Kraken in EB64 was this: http://starmen.net/eb64/images/seamonster.jpg

Like a lot of things, it didn’t get used in the GBA version.

Chewy said on Jan. 20, 2011

It’s not that we fell out of contact as much as I wrote him back with some more questions after I’d gotten these answers and I think it scared him off because he refused to reply to any more of my e-mails. :(

Saturnome said on Jan. 20, 2011

Unreleased information about the N64 game still belongs to Nintendo, doesn’t it? Or does it only concern creative work, like artworks? Maybe it’s why they can’t go on and talk about anything they want from the game.

Andy said on Jan. 20, 2011

What was that “Rolly” thing she was talking about

Mato said on Jan. 20, 2011

“Rolly” is referring to this thing:

Kinda glad they didn’t get used. Reminds me too much of those enemies from Chrono Trigger.

PKNuMan said on Jan. 21, 2011

Really creepy as heck.
Yea, it does look like a Chrono Trigger enemy.
This guy does have some imagination, I’m betting that most of his designs where used n the GBA version.

? said on Jan. 21, 2011

Thanks Chewy!

YellowYoshi398 said on Jan. 22, 2011

I just think it’s cool that he responded; I had totally forgotten about this. Even if we didn’t actually learn a lot, it’s neat to just get in contact with the people who worked on this version of the game.

TheLawrence said on Jan. 23, 2011

Oh man. I can’t believe the wasted potential of this interview. This guy was the ENEMY DESIGNER of the Mother 3 N64 beta. We could have at least asked him about the Masked Man and Claus role in the game, since Itoi pretty much confirmed that he was going to be the final boss just like in the GBA version, or at least some more general questions like the presence or not of the Magypsies, the 7 needles, how many chapters were actually completed, and… stuff! :/

t4ash08g said on Feb. 27, 2011

i want a picture of 64 masked man and porky(wonder if porky would be in his EarthBoundish style or change to a more realistic design)

montas said on Sep. 10, 2011

Well, at least we got the Ultimate Chimera as a compromise for the other wasted EB64 enemies

jinxkatty said on Jun. 24, 2012

hmm…. interesting. does anyone know if there an interview about EB 64’s story? ive heard people say stuff about the ending being different from mother 3 and it got me curious.

flintsdoorknob said on Aug. 14, 2012

Why on Earth didn’t you guy ssend this guy pictures with your questions? :(