An EarthBound 64 Petition Surprise
This month, some official Runaway Five figures are being released, and that’s brought up some questions about the members’ names. This was always a bit of a fuzzy area for me, since I’ve heard conflicting info but never looked into it much. Here’s a quick rundown of their names though, for the especially die-hard fans!
First, we didn’t even know the Runaway Five/Tonzura Bros. had names until sometime in late 1999. We found out by looking at some tiny, obscure Japanese homepage – as I recall, one .gif image was called lucky.gif and one was called gojasu.gif. So the tiny community at EarthBound.Net/Starmen.Net knew the fat Runaway Five member as Gojasu for a while. Eventually, we realized Gojasu is just the Japanese way of the English word “Gorgeous”, though to this day some of the old folks still instinctively call him Gojasu 😛
Over time, we would occasionally find old magazine articles and such that called him “Gorgeous” as well, like this old Famitsu from 1994:
As the community got bigger and we started reaching out to Japanese sites a little bit, we started to notice that some (but not all) Japanese fans were calling the fat Runaway Five guy something else: “Nice”. Then, as it became easier to import old Japanese stuff, fans started noticing that the fat guy was also called Nice in other magazines and guide, like this official MOTHER 2 guide:
So there’s always been a lot of confusion about what to call this guy. The majority of English-speaking fans know him as “Gorgeous”, simply because that was what we ran into first. But it could very well be that his official name might be “Nice”. It’s also interesting to note that a company (or group) named Lucky Nice is in the game’s credits:
In any case, the supposed names of the Runaway Five are (according to Japanese sites): Lucky, Nice, Gorgeous, Okay, and Groovy. Which one the fat one is is still unclear, but maybe the upcoming Runaway Five figures will have their names on their boxes to help clear up (or deepen) this mystery!
Thanks to KingDarian for the scan and photo!
UPDATE: The figures have since come out, and the results have made things even more confusing! According to the figures the fat one is called “Lucky” and the skinny one is called “Nice”. I think this is one mystery that’s never gonna get solved
Other Related Posts:
26 Comments to The Runaway Five’s Names
- Satoru Iwata 2.0: Come on one feminist is right on Starmen.net I should ask Shigesato Itoi for MOTHER 3 NX/N64-N64DD Versions.Just give me...
- Arthur: I’ve found this interesting interview of Miyamoto talking about Mother 3 64… This has already been posted, right?...
- Macreen: Selling his belongings just to piss him off. Wow, what a asshole.
- Traiver: @GSUser I’m actually planning for an Arabic translation for Mother 3, I even prepared a Mr. Saturn font (but I’m still trying...
- Spark: When I’ll learn in 100% assembly language you have no permission to play EarthBound GBA Remake.Only I’ll give permission to...