December 27th, 2010 | EarthBound, Videos

Gaven recently sent this in – users of Android phones will probably get a kick out of it:

Android has a concept of “live wallpapers,” which are basically backgrounds that move. So, I applied the concept to the Earthbound battle backgrounds. You can check it out here.

You can see a video of it in action below. It was recorded using an Android emulator though – the backgrounds animate MUCH more smoothly on actual hardware

15 Comments to EB Battle Backgrounds for Android

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 27, 2010

Wow, this is just like that screensaver that I still am using on my computer. If only that screensaver could have a few features added… such as choosing from a list of animation configurations rather than only allowing a single configuration.

Random Guardian said on Dec. 27, 2010

ahhh cool but is there a version for iphones? :P

WiiFreedom said on Dec. 28, 2010

It saddens me that it is not free…

Jeff said on Dec. 28, 2010

Random Guardian: Do iPhones have active/motion wallpaper? I thought they didn’t.

LakituAl said on Dec. 28, 2010

@blahmoomoo

Say, where did you get that one?

Lorem said on Dec. 29, 2010

jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touches allow for moving backgrounds, so it saddens me that iOS is not supported by this. Oh well, I can still play Mother 1, 2, & 3 on my iPhone

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 29, 2010

LakituAl: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/04/earthbound-battle-screensaver/

The creator of that screensaver did release the source code (as seen in the comments), if anybody wants to improve it.

Lorem said on Dec. 29, 2010

I also believe that the Android OS can be installed on a jailbroken iPhone if anyone wants to try that LOL

neonix said on Dec. 29, 2010

I love it! This is very much worth a dollar.

Chris said on Dec. 29, 2010

Despite all of the disclaimers about the video being made with an emulator, I found that the backgrounds were just as slow and jerky on my Incredible. I like the idea, but ended up refunding the app.

neonix said on Dec. 30, 2010

I agree with Chris. I liked the idea, but upon actually using it, the backgrounds run very laggy at any frameskip setting. Hopefully it’ll get better with future updates.

LakituAl said on Dec. 30, 2010

@blahmoomoo

Thanks! Now I only need to install DirectX…

Sam said on Jan. 13, 2011

If I ever get an android, I’m definitely going to get one of these.

Paperycandy said on Feb. 28, 2011