Takara Tomy Mother 2 Gyiyg no Gyakushuu Phone Strap Figure Jeff

December 11th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images

Catterick sent in some scans from UK gaming magazines the other day:

I saw you were looking for scans from magazines relating to Earthbound, so I thought I’d send these. They’re from Issue 132 of Nintendo Official Magazine UK (later renamed Official Nintendo Magazine) and date from September 2003. They did a preview on Mother 1+2, though you can see they didn’t have much hope for it reaching us here in Britain. In the same issue there was a feature on the 100 greatest Nintendo games as voted for by readers of the magazine, where Earthbound suprisingly came in at 37. I included the page it appears on, plus a “Top 10″ breakdown snippet from the opposite page showing it was the 3rd highest Nintendo RPG on the list.

You can see the scans here:

earthboundscan01 earthboundscan02 earthboundscan3 earthboundscan04

I really like magazine articles and such about EarthBound, so if you’ve come across any that I haven’t posted on the site yet, lemme know :D

15 Comments to EarthBound in More UK Magazines

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 11, 2010

Earthbound was ranked higher than Chrono Trigger on the top RPG list? Interesting…

Oddly enough, Chrono Trigger was not released in Europe either until the DS version.

Anonymous said on Dec. 11, 2010

This reminded me, I was looking in the “1001 Video Games to Play Before You Die” book at the store today, and there was a lengthy section on EarthBound. It even had a full-page picture. I didn’t get any pictures since it was at the store, but if somebody could get some scans or something sent in, that would be awesome.

AnOnYmOuS said on Dec. 12, 2010

I think they mistook Ninten for Ness in Mother 1. Huh, well they do look alot alike.

Floridian said on Dec. 12, 2010

If you’re whining about EarthBound being #3 on the list… well, better than it not being on the list at all!

Umm… Does that “Final Fantasy III” mean 6? Or does this article come AFTER they fixed that mess of titles?

Super-Flint said on Dec. 12, 2010

IN a more recent issue of ONM (Official Nintendo Magazine) it features another honourable mention to earthbound this time about 50 scariest Nintendo moments ever- Somewhat typically, Earthbound’s Giygas showdown was in it, at 16th place. They called it “Un-Nintendo”

conn3r said on Dec. 12, 2010

“who shat on the carpet? the aliens did!” LOL

Ryan said on Dec. 12, 2010

I didn’t know you could leave your house the first time without changing out of your PJs. Does your mom not stop you from leaving if you don’t talk to her?

Floridian said on Dec. 12, 2010

Yes, you actually CAN leave the house in your jammies, and mom will NOT stop you. Interesting, isn’t it? I didn’t know about that myself until very recently.

Michael said on Dec. 12, 2010

I know that this has nothing to do with this but am i the only one who saved duster before the chimera lab?

EarthBoundRules said on Dec. 12, 2010

@Michael Yeah, I tried doing the needles in opposite order once. Duster looks funny with the pig mask on :P

Gon said on Dec. 14, 2010

Oh wow, can’t say I agree with the ordering up there (though they are all great games) but there’s the issue with opinion pieces…no one will ever completely agree. Though I will agree with them picking Earthbound third as it is my third favorite Nintendo RPG, hell, RPG in general, as well.

Catterick said on Dec. 14, 2010

Incidentally, the list was compiled by video game journalist Chris Kohler (allegedly, as I mentioned, based on reader’s votes) and number one of course went to Ocarina of Time. :)

Also, when I said “Nintendo RPG” I meant “RPG on a Nintendo console”, in case anyone was confused.

chaobreeder20 said on Dec. 15, 2010

I do like how nintendo had a top 10 RPG list all of those are fantastic,its odd how EB is on there even though it was a commercial failure here in the states.:( I wish FF Vii was on there,even though it was a Sony exclusive,we can dream though.:D

Gon said on Dec. 15, 2010

Well if what Catterick said about the games being (allegedly)picked by the readers it makes sense that something that may not have been commercially successful but was critically successful would be up there. Still honestly surprised FFVI and Chrono Trigger are so low.

Jenifer Mercer said on Dec. 23, 2010