EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

December 6th, 2010 | EarthBound, Merchandise

I’m a little late on posting about this, but the latest batch of official MOTHER 2 figures for this month are up for preview now. There are two different sets this month, one is a bunch of mini-figures featuring Ness, Paula, Venus, and the two main Runaway Five guys:

There are also a couple larger-sized normal figures that’ll be out later this month. They’re Ness, Paula, and Poo:

As usual, they’re only available in Japan, and only by winning those crane game/UFO catcher machines in arcades. If you don’t live in Japan or suck at those games, you can find a whole bunch of them here:

Also, if you happen to have any of these figures (or just any other EB merchandise in general), you should add pages about them to my new Game Swag site – we have a couple pages up already but not many. You can see the figure pages here!

26 Comments to December’s MOTHER 2 Figures

FireStar said on Dec. 6, 2010

Aren’t the two main guys names Lucky and Gorgeous?(Though where did Gorgeous come from)
I’m not sure why Banpresto doesn’t have them on sell online or anything, people would gobble them up in a heartbeat, like me.

Captain Bozo said on Dec. 6, 2010

Man forget the main characters I want some Runaway Five statues :>

Mato said on Dec. 6, 2010

FireStar: There’s some uncertainty about Gorgeous’ name. All five members of the band actually have names according to various stuff I can’t recall right now, and I think in some instances – but not all – one of the main Runaway Five/Tonzura Bros. is actually named Nice.

Even now I’m not sure which name is correct, it warrants further checking into sometime. Another interesting thing is that there’s a company in the end credits named “Lucky Nice”.

TheBatFax said on Dec. 6, 2010

Quick way to check would probably be the name on the box, no? Just gotta get ’em. Anyway, I already said I was going after these. Particularly the big main characters and the mini Runaway 5.

Decho said on Dec. 6, 2010

These figures are going to make me broke. :c I only have a Dr. Saturn one so far (and another one and a Ninten figure on order), but I want all of these.

Mato said on Dec. 6, 2010

TheBatFax: Yeah, though I think some of the previous names have been a little off. It should be pretty obvious in this case though, unless they say “Tonzura 1” or something like that 😛

Dark Kirby63 said on Dec. 6, 2010

Looks cool,Looking forward to buying it.

Ice Sage said on Dec. 6, 2010

Gorgeous (the large one) is named Nice in Japan. I guess for some reason NOA changed it; “Gorgeous” sounds a little better as a (nick)name then “Nice” does, maybe?

And Paula has pink shoes? I always thought they were red, judging from pics of (both versions of) her model. I never got why every single piece of official artwork of her depicts her carrying that lunchbox, though.

Anyway, I don’t have enough money to get every single figurine, but I do aim to get all of the large ones.

Mato said on Dec. 6, 2010

We (us super early EB web guys) actually found the name Gorgeous back in the late 90s from Japanese stuff, it wasn’t in anything English. So that’s why there’s confusion 🙁

What'sHerFace said on Dec. 7, 2010

Aaaah~~
I never expected Runaway Five or Venus figures! It makes me wonder what other characters they’ll do!

Maybe we’ll see some Sharks figures?

Blues said on Dec. 7, 2010

I hope they bring out a giygas figure!!

Now that would be Cooool!!!

Mato said on Dec. 7, 2010

Giygas would have to be some sort of machine that produces fog and a laser light show 😛

Anonymous said on Dec. 7, 2010

Ice Sage: That lunchbox appears in her Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy and her Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker. I think I also saw it in her official Japanese artwork but I don’t remember.

LakituAl said on Dec. 7, 2010

Somehow I feel like the Runaway Figures might be easier to catch (they seem less slick). Unless of course, the claws I’m thinking of are different.

Poe said on Dec. 7, 2010

All the figures come in boxes anyway.

Ice Sage said on Dec. 7, 2010

I know the lunchbox appears in those places too (her trophy and sticker are pretty much based on the model itself). That’s why I’m asking/saying: why the lunchbox?

I didn’t know that about Gorgeous’ name, though. So I guess we’ll just have to wait for the figurines to come out 😛

boogiebot said on Dec. 9, 2010

I wish Japan would share it’s merch with the US and other countries. 🙁

These look REALLY good, though!

blahblah said on Dec. 9, 2010

This PSI Rocks

Michael said on Dec. 11, 2010

Whats that in paulas hand?

KingDarian said on Dec. 13, 2010

About Gorgeous, I’m not sure what put the name into my mind, but it is mentioned in certain publications, like the June 19, 1994 issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine. http://starmen.net/mother2/publications/

In the official MOTHER 2 guidebook, however, his name is listed as Nice. (p25)

Mato said on Dec. 13, 2010

Could you scan that part from the M2 guide book? I’d like to write a post about this Gorgeous/Nice thing at some point, it’s been something that’s been on my mind for a long time now.

Jeff said on Dec. 15, 2010

Neat! I just took a trip (my first) to Japan, and won a Ness, Mr. Saturn, and Mr. Saturn in a Trashcan from some UFO catcher games in Osaka.

If anyone is going to Osaka soon, check out the Namco arcade just outside of Umeda station. I found that the UFO catchers were eminently winnable (they were some of the easiest types). You usually just have to take a few plays to ease the prize into the chute in various ways.

The two figures took about 500yen (5 plays) each, and the Mr. Saturn in a Trashcan took about 700yen (7 plays). I know nobody probably can use that info, but just in case, give it a try!

Jeff said on Dec. 15, 2010

PS: Here’s a pic of the stuff I won: http://imgur.com/QmwCM.jpg

I wish I would’ve had more space in my luggage, or I would’ve got more…

Anonymous said on Dec. 29, 2010

Why do these have to be so damn expensive

nessfan said on Aug. 1, 2011

They look good just why do they cost so much

Ness said on Sep. 25, 2011

I want that Ness figure :(.
And indeed why are they so expensive! >:(

Find Merchandise!