December 21st, 2010 | EarthBound, Merchandise, Videos

Remember that EarthBound charity auction a few weeks back? All of the plushes were courtesy of a nice fellow in Japan named eagle0wl. eagle0wl is super-skilled at winning stuff from those crane games in Japanese arcades and even posted a video of catching them:

There are lots of different types in different arcades, so if you come across one in Japan it might not be exactly like these ones. I wish I knew all the different types there are and which ones are easiest. Looks like eagle0wl figured all that out long ago though :P

15 Comments to Catchin’ Some EarthBound Plushes!

Achturn said on Dec. 21, 2010

this is why I never liked arcade machines like this, so many attempts just to get a single prize all because of how they’re constructed :|

At least in these instances though the prizes are something worthwhile rather than generic no-name stuffed animals that look like bright green monekys or something

Floridian said on Dec. 21, 2010

Wow! Nice job, eagle0wl!

He must have a lot of yen on him to do that… More than I have, at least! (lol)

Is it just me, or are Japanese crane games even MORE evil than American ones?

Either way, you impress me, eagle0wl!

Izumi said on Dec. 21, 2010

Negative, Floridian, they are much easier in my opinion, especially since the staff will come over and help you by moving the toys closer if they see you at the machine a long time! After nearly every win the prizes are arranged so that they don’t settle too much.

I guess the type that’s “easier” depends on your skills. I’m great with the type where you cut with scissors or grab strings to pull the toy down, but I’m useless with the claw-type game.

Onion said on Dec. 21, 2010

This brings a whole new level of appreciation to these figures, that’s for sure.

:O at those beautiful flyers inside the machine

Anyways, thanks for the awesome video eagle0wl. I have wanted to see this for a looooong time.

RedClover said on Dec. 21, 2010

my apologies if this is stated somewhere on the video but, can anyone tell me how much it costs to get one try at that crane game?

TheBatFax said on Dec. 21, 2010

Catch master.

watercat8 said on Dec. 21, 2010

If I was him, I would have targeted the bottom one in the stack on the far left. If you could pull the whole stack down your chances of one landing in the hole increase. XD

missy said on Dec. 22, 2010

Wow, now that I think about it that is much easier to just knock them down like that. That’s great that he figured it out, otherwise he’d be spending twice as much

Indy1988 said on Dec. 22, 2010

Darn! eagle0wl oughta sell those prizes ha nabbed on ebay! Probably will make lots of money then!

Mato said on Dec. 22, 2010

RedClover: It depends on the arcade, usually it’s around 100 yen per try. When Chewy reported about some stuff last year ( http://yomuka.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/adventures-in-recounting-adventures/ ) she mentioned it cost 100 yen a try or 500 yen for six tries. So if you’re really good you can get one of these for just a few hundred yen and then sell it on Yahoo Auctions Japan or eBay for a nice profit.

Ricardo said on Dec. 22, 2010

Hey guys, have you seen this?
A new JohnBound has arrived

PK Coffee said on Dec. 22, 2010

I still don’t get how they can have a crane game filled with new merchandise of a fifteen-year-old game… I guess I still don’t have a good idea of EB’s renown in Japan.

Jeff said on Dec. 23, 2010

I was posting (ok, bragging) about this in the other post about new Mother figures earlier, but I was just in Japan and finally got to play and win some Mother figurines: http://imgur.com/QmwCM.jpg

I probably spent about $15 total winning a Mr. Saturn in a Trashcan, a Nes and a Mr. Saturn figure. I really loved how you can actually win things even if you’ve never played before (like me).

More pics:
http://imgur.com/qVNaj.jpg (this arcade at Umeda Station in Osaka has lots of Mother merch in *winnable* types of UFO catcher games.)

http://imgur.com/EiPBv.jpg (this is NOT the type of machine where I won my Mr. Saturn in a trashcan. UFO catcher games have differing difficulty, and this one would have just eaten your money.)

http://imgur.com/xDUPu.jpg (this is the machine that I won my figurines from–pretty easy, similar technique to in the video)

http://imgur.com/gJxl9.jpg (note the horrifying Cubic Mouth Mickey/Minny plushes–they were all over. Apparently official merch from Disney, but just. awful.)

astrangeoneEB said on Jan. 2, 2011

’tis beautiful! I would love a Dr. Saturn/trash can saturn.

*le sigh*

Oh well. :D

Gooptek said on Dec. 9, 2012

Japan gets the goodies, the rest gets poor-ish. XD