December 8th, 2010 | Itoi

On his Twitter account just a little while ago, series creator Shigesato Itoi posted this, which I’ve roughly translated into English. Keep in mind that you can say a lot more in a single Japanese tweet than in English 😛

That there are so many people who love the MOTHER games even now makes me very happy and very grateful. I consider all the things these players have gone on to create on their own to be countless sequels [to the series].

At first glance, it might sound like he’s talking about fan games, but he’s actually talking about in general – just anything anyone’s ever made after playing the games, even stuff that’s not related to the games.

It’s rare of Itoi to mention the games anymore, so this is nice to hear 😀

Update: The tweet right before that one was also interesting. It said:

Oh, I just heard someone say Yokohama Arena was a lot of fun. I happened to be in a long meeting the entire time with Mr. Iwata and Mr. Miyamoto of Nintendo!

I wonder what they talked about to lead to him making his next few MOTHER-related tweets.

45 Comments to A Message from Shigesato Itoi

kevinchai said on Dec. 8, 2010

Let’s get Itoi to do a Fanfest GPP show next year!

KingDarian said on Dec. 8, 2010

This is such as a heartwarming message. It definitely doesn’t come across this way through Google Translate.

Masked-Commander said on Dec. 8, 2010

Itoi is such a nice man.

He’s strange, funny, and heartrending…. Oh, wait

Leeaux said on Dec. 8, 2010

I do miss the old boy.

James said on Dec. 8, 2010

I wonder if this is a sly endorsement of Mother 4.

Clawz said on Dec. 8, 2010

THAT IS AWESOME! :3

TheBatFax said on Dec. 8, 2010

So awesome.

192bpm said on Dec. 8, 2010

in the previous tweet he mentioned having a big meeting with iwata and miyamoto.

KingDarian said on Dec. 8, 2010

Yo, Mato. Did you get my other email? Itoi posted a follow-up tweet that mentioned MOTHER again.

Mato said on Dec. 8, 2010

Yeah, that one’s a little tougher so I’ll translate it later when I have more time.

Onion said on Dec. 8, 2010

My kingdom for a 3D Mother 1+2+3 comp on 3DS.

Shit. Now my hopes are sky high for nothing 😛

Onion said on Dec. 8, 2010

Wow. Am I reading this right? Itoi has over 200k followers on Twitter! That’s awesome!

Labrynian Rebel said on Dec. 8, 2010

At least it’s not as bad as that Dr. Andonusts door at E3

doppel said on Dec. 8, 2010

Oh my god. I’m dreaming of all the possibilities of those words. Some new Mother stuff will be great.

boogiebot said on Dec. 9, 2010

I wouldn’t get TOO excited, you guys. Although, I find it strange that he was in a meeting with the President of Nintendo and creator of Mario, and not tell about it. My hopes aren’t too high, though. We’ve all been let down, but I have a feeling this may be different.

(If it’s a new game, MOTHER or otherwise, and it’s Japan only, I’m gonna rage.)

satopunch89 said on Dec. 9, 2010

There is always hope…. MOTHER 3DS! FTW

Mato said on Dec. 9, 2010

boogiebot: he’s good personal friends with both of those guys, and them getting together one day is what led the GBA version of Mother 3 to be made. I think that’s why people are semi-intrigued.

boogiebot said on Dec. 9, 2010

Mato: Ah, right.

Anyway, I have a hunch that Nintendo is cooking up something. I wonder if Itoi will explain what he was doing there, although it’s highly unlikely.

Derik said on Dec. 9, 2010

Perhaps a DS release in which the possible copyright infringements are edited out?

neonix said on Dec. 9, 2010

Just knowing that Itoi still has MOTHER on his mind, and recognizes all the fan-work makes me happy as hell. If this does lead up to something new, I’ll be ecstatic, but I won’t be disappointed otherwise. 🙂

spitefulcrow said on Dec. 9, 2010

Aah, this is really such a nice thing to hear! When I first heard about this I didn’t even consider the possibility of this eluding to some new MOTHER developments, but I suppose it’s definitely possible! 🙂

@Labrynian Rebel
Hah, man that Dr. Andonuts door was such a tease!

MoonSide said on Dec. 9, 2010

Well, I should thank Itoi-san and also the translators!
I wrote a 21 page (double space) prose poem for my creative writing final on the rough story of Mother 3.

Oh… I hope something comes out of this meeting!

EBP said on Dec. 9, 2010

Mother 1 & 2 on the VC.

Or a compilation of the three on DS.

blackpanther1026 said on Dec. 10, 2010

I actually got a bit teary eyed haha don’t know why, specifically. I mean, I know I love the MOTHER series, but I guess just the possibility of the series continuing in some way/format is kind of overwhelming for me haha

but like people have said, I won’t get my hopes up too much. We’ve been let down before. Many, many times before.

BKACJ said on Dec. 10, 2010

Honestly I think the plans for Earthboud/Mother on ds is dead. I’m assuming ds has about 2-2(1/2) years before people stop making games for it. Hes probably
1 Make a new game unrelated
2 Mother 3 remake for 3ds maybe?

Mato said on Dec. 10, 2010

Itoi does have a penchant for releasing his games just as a system is dying 😛

Labrynian Rebel said on Dec. 10, 2010

Them releasing MOTHER 1+2+3 would be too good to be true, but maybe Itoi is cooking up a brand new video game since the head honchos have seem that his work stays with the consumer for a very long time.

watercat8 said on Dec. 10, 2010

I wonder what it could be? A Mother 4 seems too good to be true. A Mother 1+2+3 seems the most likely, even if the idea is still kinda far fetched. Maybe something special for the 5th anniversary of Mother 3? My dream would be a remake of Mother 1. ^^

DoseiSan said on Dec. 10, 2010

If Earthbound 64 comes out on the 3DS I will have an nerdgasmic heart attack, I swear.

Churly said on Dec. 10, 2010

Itoi knows he made something different than the COD people, he knows we don’t treat each other rudely with insults, but rather we share fanart.

Anonymous said on Dec. 10, 2010

@boogiebot

Aye. M1,2,3 is a dream but the most realistic outcome is Mother 2 on the Japanese VC. I’ve already deflated my own hopes on this one.

Roo said on Dec. 11, 2010

Aw, I love Itoi. He seems like such a great guy to be around. If being a Mother fan has taught me anything, it’s not to get my hopes up about any future releases.

… but I have my hopes up. 🙂

Ginrei said on Dec. 11, 2010

You think this meeting with Miyamoto and Iwata was that “Iwata Asks But Really Itoi Asks This Time Because Iwata Already Did”?

LitoNico said on Dec. 11, 2010

「『MOTHER』のシリーズをつくってるときには、わかられないことなんて、怖くもなんともなかったものね。あっかんべーな気分がないと、底力は出せないよな。」
“When I was working on the MOTHER series, I didn’t know much, so I didn’t have any fear or anything. Without a feeling of cheekiness, it’s hard work to one’s fullest potential.”

…is I think what Itoi was saying in his second mother-related tweet. I’m not pro, though, so don’t quote me on this~

SuperBlooper057 said on Dec. 11, 2010

Everyone I found out how to play Mother 1, 2, AND 3 on the DS!!!

1) Buy a NDS or Lite
2a) Buy Mother 1/2
2b) Buy Mother 3
3) Play them using GBA slot.

Problem non-japanese-speaking people?

Labrynian Rebel said on Dec. 13, 2010

Yeah, I don’t speak japanese.

sdasf said on Dec. 13, 2010

And those are two extra GBA carts I would need to carry, and the GBA is being phased out.

? said on Dec. 15, 2010

They’re probably deciding the final wording on the cease and desist letter Nintendo are going to send to the Mother fan projects.

I’m just fooling, they don’t care that much. Hopefully it’s a 3ds game that uses scratch and sniff barcode cards for items.

Beard said on Dec. 17, 2010

Gah, Itoi, I love ya. I’m hoping for a MOTHER 1 remake first actually, because a plain port would not be so good. The game features too much grinding, and the battle system could be slightly improved. But then again, if all 3 MOTHER games were brung here, and MOTHER became like, a big thing here…I would fangasm like I never fangasmed before.

Corgal2 said on Dec. 29, 2010

Man,this warms mu heart to see that shiggy hasn’t forgoten about mother. =)

Anonymous said on Apr. 23, 2011

plz make a 3ds remake of mother 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz plz plz plz

TheZunar123 said on Apr. 23, 2011

^ In English!

Valeria Carrillo Rodriguez said on Jan. 3, 2012

It will be great if MOTHER Series has an anime or a movie!! Its just my wish n.n
I like MOTHER Series so much and I like anime to.

Shigesato-san wa shinsetsu hito desu. Watashi wa starmen.net ni Count ga arimasu.
Sore dake desu.