RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

November 8th, 2010 | Images, MOTHER 3

Dan F. e-mailed me to let me know that the MOTHER 3 fan translation had been mentioned briefly in a Swedish magazine called LEVEL:

It’s from the November 2009 issue, in an article about fan translations. The blurb about MOTHER 3 supposedly translates to something like:

“Mother 3 – The sequel to Earthbound was released, after extreme ordeals, in Japan 2006. Two years later a fan translation team was done with the English version, and thus the whole world could see how cozy an RPG it was. The translation seems all the more impressive if you consider how pun-filled it was.”

It’s kinda neat that the game and translation are getting recognized in magazines all over the world. It looks like Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 and Persona 2 are on the same page, too. I never really thought about it before, but that’s like three different gaming generations all sitting together.

14 Comments to MOTHER 3 Translation in Swedish Magazine

NeonSquid said on Nov. 8, 2010

Neat-o. I’m glad you’re getting some good press for your hard work, Tomato.

Fredrik said on Nov. 8, 2010

Hah! Cool. I think level is pretty big magazine (within swedish game magazines, that is), although I don’t really know much about magazines nowadays.

Uscdrew said on Nov. 8, 2010

Looks like Chrono Trigger to the left of it.

york said on Nov. 8, 2010

That’s cause Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu have similar graphic designs.

Dan F said on Nov. 10, 2010

Well, if not counting the article itself (wich is about events and people around them in the history of fan-translation, specially the dark sides of it.) the page with the Mother 3 is about (in that order):

Seiken Densetsu 3, Mother 3, Persona 2: Innocent Sin,
Cave Story, Namco X Capcom, Policenauts, Wonder Project J2, Radical Dreamers and Treasure Of The Rudras…

Jeff said on Nov. 18, 2010

This makes me wonder…It’s been so long since the English translation came out, and I remember many other languages were being worked on.

Are any other language translations still being worked on? Or has it all died off…?

Mato said on Nov. 20, 2010

A lot of them are on hold or taking it slowly (it IS a ton of work), there’s one or two that are starting to near completion though.

Ness said on Nov. 27, 2010

Seiken Densetsu 3(secret of mana 2) is a very fun game that I love very much.

Zoom! said on Jul. 24, 2011

I just found out your name is Clyde Mandelin. Now I know more about you than you want me to know…. XD

Zoom! said on Jul. 24, 2011

I learned that on the wikipedia article for mother 3, on the fan translation part. You’re aware that you have your own Wikipedia article right?

Mato said on Jul. 24, 2011

Yeah, I know, I just think it’s really weird since I’m not that notable/important and kind of wish it would get taken down, but oh well.

Zoom! said on Jul. 24, 2011

Oh well, now the world knows your name, Mato! I assume you prefer not to be called Clyde on this site?(nice name, by the way :))

Mato said on Jul. 24, 2011

My name was never really a secret or anything though, but okay 😛

angryreimu said on Jul. 24, 2011

From now on I will call Mato Clyde.

Find Merchandise!