Random Post:

Onett Rubber Stamp

November 4th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images, Itoi, Merchandise

Shigesato Itoi has a sort of photo blog on his company’s site that he updates several times each day. Usually he just posts pics of his dog, and the other day he posted this photo:

That’s right, Itoi has one of the very few EarthBound rulers out there! This is actually the first time I’ve seen anything that directly links him with anything EarthBound, so it’s pretty neat. Plus, now that we know where one of the rulers are, let’s go steal it!

Whenever Itoi posts photos of his dog, he usually write a caption from his dog’s point of view. In this case, it’s roughly saying something like, “Dad found something called a ‘ruler’. It sounds like even he was surprised when he found it. Apparently it was made in the USA and can measure stuff 12 inches long. I’m just a dog though, so I don’t really know these things.”

30 Comments to Itoi Has an EarthBound Ruler

Miles Vialpando said on Nov. 4, 2010

That’s so cool. I hope more show up someday! Maybe when pigs fly. Oh, wait.

Speedy_Fox_IV said on Nov. 4, 2010

@ Miles Vialpando
You forgot that already swine flu.

blahmoomoo said on Nov. 5, 2010

Sounds similar to something one or more animals in Earthbound or Mother 3 said… Can’t remember where, but the “I’m just a dog though, so I don’t really know these things.” sounds familiar [whether it was a dog or not, I’m not sure].

neonix said on Nov. 5, 2010

Yep.. This is awesome.

Hejiru said on Nov. 5, 2010

Well I imagine the creator of Earthbound would have one of the Earthbound rulers.

Joe said on Nov. 5, 2010

Very interesting article.
I try reading his small picture captions on occasion, and it’s really neat to see him with merch from EarthBound!

Anonymous said on Nov. 5, 2010

blahmoomoo: I think a pig said something similar in Mother 3.

LakituAl said on Nov. 5, 2010

It’s nice to see Itoi’s dog is his “son” and not his “master”.

@blahmoomoo There is also the bleached pile of horse bones, I think.

@Speedy_Fox_IV Not funny…

[…] link Permalink […]

OKeijiDragon said on Nov. 5, 2010

Itoi actually mentioned this Ruler a week or two ago on his Twitter account.

Here is the URL and his message to his tweet:

itoi_shigesato: ゲーム『MOTHER』に登場する重要ともいえるアイテム「ものさし」が、わが家から発見された。[Nintendo]EARTHBOUNDと記されていて、裏には「NINTENDO RULES」と大書されている。目盛はインチで12inch(約30cm)計れる。単なる事実です。

Starstormer said on Nov. 5, 2010

Wait, they use the metric system in japan don’t they. So a ruler would be of no use to Itoi. Being that he created the series it makes sense that he would have one though.

Starman 99 said on Nov. 5, 2010

That pic is totally shopped. I should know; I can tell from the pixels. 😛

But really, I’m a bit surprised that Itoi keeps that sort of thing around for this long. Neat to see him post about it, though; makes you wonder how many more of these things are still floating around… And what else might turn up in the future.

Speedy_Fox_IV said on Nov. 5, 2010

@LakituAl
Yeah I kinda guessed that, but on topic this actually surprised me. It makes sense but it didn’t stop the fact that I didn’t see it coming.

Posiedien said on Nov. 5, 2010

He has a great taste in dogs! I love Brittany Spaniels. That’s my type of dog.

darkgreen_orange said on Nov. 5, 2010

Hmm, I guess this confirms that he at least knows what the Mother series is called in the US…?

Captain Bozo said on Nov. 6, 2010

If he’s ever down on cash he can just sign it and sell it. You thought the other one sold for a lot, wait until you see an autographed copy.

Hypotenuse Man said on Nov. 6, 2010

Now Itoi can measure the lengths of things easily!

Anonymous said on Nov. 6, 2010

Oh my god! …That dog is over 12 inches long!

MoonSide said on Nov. 6, 2010

All he needs is a protractor, now……

8bg said on Nov. 6, 2010

@ Starman 99
I really hope you’re not implying that the image was photoshopped.
I’m sure that cropping and shrinking the image may have caused some sort of blur, but it’s fairly easy to know if something’s been “shopped” or not.
I’d assume 99 means your year; so you have a ways to go before noticing these things.
Most rulers usually had an opposite side for centimeters, but I guess this really was an American one.

KingMike said on Nov. 6, 2010

@blahmoomoo
Yes, it’s Ruffini the gameplay advice dog.

Now Itoi’s dog can go back to being a regular dog. 😀

yetikirby said on Nov. 6, 2010

Well, I guess it’s time to get out the old sailboat,sail to Japan, find Mr.Itoi’s office, and steal me that earthbound ruler!

Starman 99 said on Nov. 7, 2010

@8bg

No, that was sarcasm – hence, the emoticon. And no, 99 is merely an arbitrary number to make a generic EB username more generic still. I still use it simply because it’s a hassle to change it. Besides, I sold one of these rulers a few months back; I know as well as anyone that the pic is legit. 😉

Son Goku said on Nov. 7, 2010

Was this one of the things included in that big package sent to him a while ago? That’d be nice.

8bg said on Nov. 7, 2010

@ Starman 99
Hah, it’s cool. One can’t really tell the emotions of a person through the Internet anymore. xD
But….you sold the ruler?! :<

Crav said on Nov. 7, 2010

Reminds me of Link’s Awakening, actually.
Whenever the kids around the village say anything they usually end it with something like “but I don’t really know since I’m just a kid.”

Starman 99 said on Nov. 7, 2010

@8bg

Yeah, I sold one of the rulers a while ago. Figured it was better off in the hands of a collector than it was sitting around my house, you know?

shishkabob said on Nov. 8, 2010

Awww…cute doggy. The rulers cool too.

Adelina said on Nov. 8, 2010

Plus, now that we know where one of the rulers are, let’s go steal it!

Subject-verb agreement FTL!