Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

November 30th, 2010 | EarthBound, Videos

During last night’s EarthBound Fanfest, something unexpected happened… longtime fan diospadre proposed to other longtime fan NeoPaula live, via a hacked version of EarthBound:

There’ve been a lot of EarthBound couples and marriages as we old fans have started to get older. I wonder if this’ll be a more common phenomenon as the Internet and fan sites get older too. In any case, congrats to the couple! Have a magic cake at your wedding!

49 Comments to EarthBound Marriage Proposal

skysamfreeman said on Nov. 30, 2010

XD! That’s awesome! Fast forward to about 20 minutes though.

kendall said on Nov. 30, 2010

Soooo cute!

NintendoCapriSun said on Nov. 30, 2010

I’m going to bed a half hour late because of this video, but I must say it was TOTALLY worth it πŸ˜€ This is one of the most adorable things I’ve ever seen!

Izumi said on Nov. 30, 2010

This is one of those moments that makes the Starmen community so worth being a part of. I don’t know Matt or Liz other than in passing, but I was completely thrilled that Matt decided to share the proposal with the Fanfest viewers. As soon as word started going around that this had happened, well-wishers and people who had missed the big moment started flooding into the chat – what a festive atmosphere. Then they played Zombies Ate My Neighbours! Good times. πŸ™‚

IAMCARBONDOG said on Nov. 30, 2010

Go to 20:50 for the actual proposal

rayefrenzy said on Nov. 30, 2010

Ohhh man. How sweet. I got tears in my eyes! They’re super duper cute. :3

darkzzii said on Nov. 30, 2010

thats awsome i like what izumi said. this community is one of the best things i have ever found. thanks pk time stop for sending this to me.

Yossarian said on Nov. 30, 2010

Woo that’s awesome, congratulations you two! Have a wonderful time! =D!!

Epps said on Nov. 30, 2010

This so touching, so cute, so so so…. true love <3

Ginrei said on Nov. 30, 2010

“I’m going to marry this stupid jerk!” XD
How cuuute~! Congrats, you two!

Anonymous said on Nov. 30, 2010

That was the best proposal I’ve ever witnessed. There’s been odd ones, sweet ones, hilarious ones… But as a Mother fan this is the most touching one I’ve ever seen.
Earthbound really does make a difference in people’s lives… Something fun, immersive, and timeless sure does prove to be a lot more in the long run. I too am proud I’m part of this community.

Ironically enough, me and my girlfriend are both also rather obsessive Mother fans. If it weren’t uncreative at this point and if I were actually able to plan something like this out and act upon it, this would totally happen.

But instead this is what happened.

I’m really happy for them… If you ever read this, I hope you both have a wonderful life together.

Uscdrew said on Nov. 30, 2010

Very cool! Haven’t seen anything like this since that Chrono Trigger hack.

anonymous said on Nov. 30, 2010

Aww, that was cute… I’ve never heard of a more creative proposal.

@uscdrew – what Chrono Trigger hack?

mitch said on Nov. 30, 2010

holy crap, you two. we’re all growing up.

seeing this was an especially lucid moment. so many good thoughts and awesomeness to you both.

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 1, 2010

@anonymous: Uscdrew is referring to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_HMLvLB7b0

The Chrono Trigger hack had a lot more hacking required than this one, but I think this one is even better since she was a fan of Earthbound [while the fiancΓ©e playing the hacked CT was in the middle of playing through it for the first time, which did allow for more to be changed without being immediately suspicious] and this one was broadcast live.

The Lumine Hall music seems a bit more fitting too, in my opinion.

Both the CT and Earthbound proposals are awesome though. This one just seemed as much more of a surprise to me, and the timing of “SHE SAID YES!!!” was just awesome.

Churly said on Dec. 1, 2010

Even though I have different plans for popping the question, I found this to be so very sweet and a perfect definition of what Mother 2’s tagline was.

The Mother series is something that deserves to be shared with the ones closest to us.

Darien said on Dec. 1, 2010

That’s sweet. Congratulations to the happy couple. πŸ™‚

What'sHerFace said on Dec. 1, 2010

Awwwwww! That’s really sweet!
I wish them all the best!

Lostaname said on Dec. 1, 2010

.SHE SAID YES!!!!

.Strangely, Ness recorded the sounds of a women being in disbelieve on his Sound Stone.

? said on Dec. 1, 2010

Somehow I watched the whole thing and am not disgusted, good work duder. Better than Pam and Jim’s by far.

Zinco said on Dec. 1, 2010

It’s really something to see these two people I’ve known online for so long draw together in such a way. A lot better than the stupid drama we all went through as teenagers on the site! It’s been forever since I’ve spoken to Liz on a regular basis, but I’m delighted for her and Matt. Talk about the way that online communities can change lives, huh?

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2010

Wait, you mean they met on the forum?
That’s… That’s really something.

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2010

I guess if they visit a forum they aren’t real people with feelings…

Congrats guys! May love keep finding a way to joyfully hit one another throughout the years!

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2010

This is just too cute for words!
Hooray for Matt and Liz! ^_^

Random Guardian said on Dec. 1, 2010

*sigh* Man we are getting old huh? No words, there are no words I can say right now.
Except good luck to you two!

Chatetris said on Dec. 1, 2010

What a great way…

PSICc said on Dec. 1, 2010

When Earthbound fans unite…beautiful things happen.

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2010

@The other anonymous guy after me:
Not what I mean.
I was asking if they met there. Saying that because it’s not everyday that an internet community brings people together that easily. It makes our fandom even more remarkable.

And if that’s not what I mean I’d be a hypocrite because that was my case too.

Robo85 said on Dec. 1, 2010

that is by far the best proposal ever!

kyoo said on Dec. 1, 2010

if only they could have real magic cake on their wedding, that would be a magical reception. spent in some other land while you’re having your limbs torn from your body and fed to the crows.

full of win if you ask me. πŸ˜€

Lothis said on Dec. 2, 2010

Totally classy. Props to the groom, wish I’d had gotten the chance to do that first, but guess I’ll have to come up with something else. Anyways, congrats to the couple, and make sure to leave Giygas OFF the guest list.

Ice Sage said on Dec. 2, 2010

This was so amazing. I don’t think I’ve genuinely smiled at something in the way I did when I saw this for a long time.

EmeraldWind said on Dec. 2, 2010

I laughed when she said she liked Lumine Hall as a little girl. That’s when I knew this was going to be a SMASH hit in the romantic department.

I must say, that was an excellent burst of creativity. Awesome!

FuzzyPicklez said on Dec. 3, 2010

It says She Said Yes, huh?

I wonder what would have happened if she said no and it said “SHE SAID YES!”

Of course she would have said yes, though.

P Philosophy said on Dec. 3, 2010

Very beautiful and unique! Congratulations and happy wishes to the two of them. Quite romantic too. ^_^

Alex said on Dec. 3, 2010

Best marriage proposal ever.

Father said on Dec. 3, 2010

I just wish I would have seen it live.

zedrein said on Dec. 4, 2010

This moment reminded me of that John Cougar Mellencamp song “Jack and Diane”.

NeonSquid said on Dec. 4, 2010

Man, that would have been awkward if she said no >_>

KatanaSwordfish said on Dec. 4, 2010

Awwwww. That’s nice! =)

Bluedude3 said on Dec. 6, 2010

This is so sweet!
If I was her I would never want to break up with him!

Dark Kirby63 said on Dec. 7, 2010

Marriage during Playing Earthbound
this person must love M2!

BurpBelch said on Dec. 7, 2010

This made MSNs homepage. Very sweet video. πŸ™‚

Anonymous said on Dec. 7, 2010

@BurpBelch
I wanna see! What category is it in?

l0rd0ct0d0rk said on Dec. 9, 2010

Good job, man.

Joshua Johnson said on Dec. 10, 2010

could only imagine what would happen if she said no and the text box came up that said “SHE SAID YES!!”

>:( said on Dec. 10, 2010

20:22

WTF? She fell asleep playing Mother 3 in English with a player’s guide? Who plays with a players guide their first time through? Furthermore, who falls asleep playing Mother 3?

RESPECT = LOST. >:(

TGP said on Dec. 11, 2010

I fell asleep playing Mother 2 only because I was so devoted I didn’t want to quit.

derp said on Dec. 15, 2010

That “SHE SAID YES” would have been weird had she not.
….then again, putting in a Y/N option would’ve been even weirder……because you just know she would have had to do N first just to see what it said.

Find Merchandise!