My Crazy EarthBound Cart, Part 2!
The MOTHER 3 ROM is absolutely huge – it’s the maximum size a GBA game can be, in fact. It’s so big that to this day we’re finding more and more things hiding inside it; if I had the time I’d love to try to dissect the ROM, map everything out, then go through all the unused/hidden data.
Anyway, good ol’ NESLuver recently dug up some unused graphics in the ROM that were compressed. The problem with these sorts of graphics is that they’re in no logical order, so it’s like trying to put a puzzle together while blind. But NESLuver managed to fully piece together some interesting stuff. For instance, we’ve found the weird, unused giant pig graphic in the past, but apparently we were missing some pieces to it. Here’s what the full thing looks like:
What was it for? No idea. Before we had the bottom part pieced together, I always thought it might’ve been some sort of prototype Thunder Tower thing, where it shot thunder (or some other projectile) out of its snout. But it looks like it was probably some sort of ship.
Anyway, there is a TON of unused, hidden graphical stuff in the ROM, here are just a few that NESLuver pieced together recently:
I really don’t know what some of these things might’ve been used for. Any theories?
Other Related Posts:
54 Comments to Some Unused MOTHER 3 Graphics
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...