EarthBound Preview in NP #70
By now most obsessed EarthBound fans probably know that Shigesato Itoi once did some TV specials in Japan centered around supposed hidden gold. The mine in the Dusty Dunes Desert was based off of this experience.
Anyway, a few years ago I managed to find a bunch of videos of the TV specials and snagged them from some video site before they got taken down. I forgot about them until Ryan e-mailed me recently after he found them on YouTube. Here’s the final video, it isn’t in English but it’s worth a look:
You can even see that Itoi has a MOTHER 2 jacket of some sort on! From what I’ve read, he was in the middle of working on the game while doing this mining stuff too. In the end, nothing was ever found, and every so often Itoi revisits the site or starts digging somewhere else or something, I’m not quite sure. But here’s a recent picture, from last year I believe.
The details behind the whole hidden treasure ordeal is actually kind of complicated, and I can’t find any good English sites about it, but supposedly the Tokugawa shogunate buried gold a long time ago, but the exact location was lost. Various old documents and stuff are pieced together by people – with Itoi at the helm – and they try to determine the exact location the treasure should be. Then they dig and dig and dig… and eventually only find some random scraps of metal or something, I don’t remember the details.
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to Shigesato Itoi’s Gold Mine Adventure
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.
- Leeaux: Mato! We miss you! Come back to us!