Earthbound Super Nintendo Snes Cleaned & Tested

October 7th, 2010 | EarthBound, Merchandise, Videos

The other day I was looking for any videos about the EarthBound Player’s Guide – surprisingly, there aren’t that many at all. All I could find was a video of someone selling their guide and then this video:

It’s really cool that EarthBound’s scratch n sniff cards still smell even 15 years later. I tried smelling mine again and they smell just as strong as I remember from way back then. How long do these scratch n sniff things normally last, I wonder. Has anyone’s smelly cards run out of smell yet?

26 Comments to EarthBound Scratch n Sniff Lives On

EarthBound015 said on Oct. 7, 2010

The only one that still smells on mine is the banana one. But I used to trick all my new friends into smelling them when I first got the game, so I guess I over-used mine XD

Darius K. said on Oct. 7, 2010

Mine definitely all still smell, but I’ve probably only scratched them like 10 times since 1995!

Poe said on Oct. 7, 2010

Cute video 🙂 I like seeing little kids react to stuff like this.

Carl said on Oct. 7, 2010

I’ve never even scratched mine.

Anonymous said on Oct. 7, 2010

I lost my guide / cards, but I can still vividly remember the smells. ^_^

spitefulcrow said on Oct. 7, 2010

Ah! Our set of cards still smell! My memory of the scratch n sniff cards actually dates back earlier than my first time playing EB. I inherited EB from my sis a few years ago, but when we were li’l my cousin and I used to check those things out all the time. We were especially grossed out by Carbon Dog; in fact, we still relate smells back to the scratch n sniffs today!

Saturnome said on Oct. 7, 2010

I guess they can last a very long time, as long you don’t scratch them often.

Maybe it’s psychological, but I scratched the banana one so often I think the whole Player’s Guide smell bananas.

Despite the fact that I’m terrible at smelling things, anything that smells like the Scratch n Sniff cards throw be back to my childhood. Riding my bicycle on a sunny september day… in Twoson.

chaobreeder20 said on Oct. 7, 2010

She’s overeacting.

Kris said on Oct. 7, 2010

Mato,

This is sort of a random question, but I’m curious. At what point in your life did you begin to learn Japanese?

I desperately want to learn a new language (not necessarily Japanese) but I feel like I might be too old for it to really stick.

Some words of encouragement would be awesome.

Mato said on Oct. 7, 2010

I think I began seriously studying it around 16 or 17.

Kris said on Oct. 7, 2010

Thanks.

I’m only 20 now. I was taking French since I was 13 but I never really got much out of it, and today I’ve forgotten most of it. I’d like to try to move to something else now, and I’m considering Japanese.

Ricky said on Oct. 8, 2010

I remember a friend showed me these in middle school, I distinctly remember one smelling like chili powder or something like that

James said on Oct. 8, 2010

I still have my cards somewhere, but I still vividly remember the smell of Shrooom! I used to inhale it deeply if I wanted to make myself feel sick and then skip school. Sniffing Shrooo! + spinning around in an office chair = instant vomit for 12-year-old me.

blahblah said on Oct. 8, 2010

I really want to smell them!!!!! Even if they smell bad!!!!!!

blahblah said on Oct. 8, 2010

I am guessing they smell like this:
Carbon Dog-Hot dog and mustard
Shroom-A very disgusting mushroom
Bubble Monkey-Bananas (duh)
Mondo Mole-Dirt
Ness-Steak
Mystery Smell-Pizza (everyone probably knows that by now)

jeffy05 said on Oct. 9, 2010

I dunno what they smell like. I’ve never scratched them after 15 years 🙂

_oMeGa_ said on Oct. 9, 2010

A couple of them are really weak, but the others still work. It’s pretty surprising that they still work, because the guide used to be my brother’s, and he smoked a lot, so the whole guide has this sort of dusty, tobbaco-y smell.

Starstormer said on Oct. 9, 2010

Thats really impressive, I dought the mach pizza airfreshener still works though.

NecrosaroIII said on Oct. 12, 2010

Hahahahahahaha.

Jeez that brought back memories.

PSInesslove93 said on Oct. 17, 2010

HAHAHAH that’s my video! LOL i never thought that it’d get on here 😛 thanks Mato xD

Yomon said on Oct. 18, 2010

Whoever makes Bubble Monkey Cologne gets BIG POINTS from me. Seriously, I want that to happen. XD

PSIMater said on Dec. 12, 2010

what is the mystery pizza smell blahblah

PSIMaster said on Dec. 12, 2010

what is the mystery pizza smell blahblah

DBlue said on Mar. 14, 2011

THERE’S MARIO PARTY FIVE IN THE BACKGROUND! THAT WAS MY FIRST GAME EVER!!!
Ahem. I don’t know if I really want to smell those.

Mother Fanatic said on Aug. 19, 2011

I think it’s Mario Party 7.
Anyways, those must be REAL TERRIBLE smells!!!!

Ryan said on Jan. 19, 2014

Hey Yomon,
I know its an old thread BUT….
I’m an apprentice perfumer. I could make that exact smell in a cologne for you in like 2 mins. contact me if your interested. r_disano @ hotmail . com