Earthbound (SNES)

September 28th, 2010 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3

A few times in the past I’ve posted some nice MOTHER 3 remixes by katanaswordfish (see here), and now there are two new ones!

First is a remix of the song called “Is Anyone There?” This is a lesser-known song in the game, so it’s cool that it’s getting some attention. I also like the image used in the video.

Next up is a remix of the Murasaki Forest music. I really like this one:

You can download the music files here, including some of the past songs. And from the sound of it, there are even more songs on the way 😀

14 Comments to Two Cool New MOTHER 3 Remixes

Linkzcap said on Sep. 28, 2010

questionsleep said on Sep. 29, 2010

I have the entire Mother 3 soundtrack on my Mother 3 cartridge. M3 GBA Micro is way cooler than an iPod.

Old West said on Sep. 29, 2010

I still think Murasaki Forest is the best track in the game. 😡

That said, I wish its remix here were a little more spacey and atmospheric. It’s not bad at all, just a little more placid, I guess, than I would have hoped. A more synthy, reverberating instrument in place of the electric guitar might be interesting.

Old West said on Sep. 30, 2010

Sadly I don’t remember the other track. =(

KatanaSwordfish said on Sep. 30, 2010

Hey guys, kat here!

Much thanks to tomato for posting my new songs. I really enjoy making them, especially when they get exposure. I enjoy making the songs and I think every time I do, I become a slightly better musician overall. However, like all musicians, I feel great when my stuff gets listened to, commented on and downloaded! So I really appreciate the attitude of EBcentral and the Mother series community for being so active in promoting fan-art and music.

Also, thanks to everyone that has listened to my tracks! I think my two new songs had only 20-40 views on youtube when I submitted them here. Now one has 500 and one has 700. For me, that’s pretty huge. Both of them now have 30+ downloads, and I’m glad that some people felt that they had enjoyed them to the point where they would go out of their way to download them.

And also, I’m always happy to hear comments and critiques. My musical goals aren’t to just make songs that sound OK and to stay at the same ‘level’ for my whole life. I absolutely thrive on people’s feedback and I appreciate people who take the time to make comments regardless if they are compliments or criticisms.

“These are awesome remixes. I have the entire Mother 3 soundtrack (Yes… 250 songs) on my iPod o I’ve listened to both a lot. This is really cool to hear. Thanks for posting!” (linkzcap)

>> Thanks for listening, linkzcap! I’m obviously a big fan of the mother 3 (and mother 2) soundtrack. If I can become even half as skilled at writing and arranging music as Hip Tanaka or Shogo Sakai I can die happy. lol. I hope that you feel these songs live up at least a little bit to the original compositions. I always try to take things at a slightly different angle (obviously i want the song to be recognizable, but I know that if i try to make a cookie-cutter copy of the original it’s doomed to fall short). I hope that people feel like my songs are, at the very least, interesting enough to listen to along side the original.

“I wish its remix here were a little more spacey and atmospheric. It’s not bad at all, just a little more placid, I guess, than I would have hoped. A more synthy, reverberating instrument in place of the electric guitar might be interesting.” (Old West)

>> Yeah, I can certainly understand this critique. I think my version may have turned out to be a little bit less adventurous, at least compared to the original. I may have missed the mark a little bit on the mixing and the instrumentation choices, and I’m sorry if I have fallen short of people’s expectations a little bit with any of my songs. – I’d like to mention that this whole youtube based VGM covers thing is really a learning experience for me brought about by a passion for both the art involved with writing/arranging/playing music and the arts involved in the making of video games. It’s part of my hope that after learning and playing a lot of my favorite tracks from my favorite composers that I can glean some insight from that to use in my own original compositions and work, and hopefully someday i’ll be able to create original works that I feel meet the standards of my musical heroes. I tend to look on the bright side. I know that where I am with music right now isn’t the complete pinnacle of my potential. I know that if I keep learning tunes, doing DIY recordings, analyzing my records, and turning my past mistakes into future lessons that can be applied to my own work, then I will be able to continue improving.

“My completely inconsequential opinion now is that it’s actually a lovely arrangement. ;~; Listening to it a number of times I’ve found its progression/variation much cooler than simply running with the same looping melody repeatedly. The distortion and phasing/wah-wah effects are great too.” (Old West)

>> I’m glad that it sort of grew on you. I still believe that I should keep my mind open to some different instrumentation choices and that I need to work on my mixing and refining skills a little bit. I tend to prefer a solid mix of audio tracks and synth, instead of heavily favoring one over the other too much. In other words, I don’t really want to make songs that are 100% midi synths and samples, but I also really see the value of synthesis as a unique instrument. After all, synths and samples are at their best (in my opinion) when they are trying to be unique sounds instead of pale imitations of real-life instruments.

Anyway, that became rather lengthy. But, thanks again tomato for the plug, and thanks to everyone that listened and commented.

I’ll be taking a (short) break from the mother series for a little while to work on songs from another famous JRPG series. Of course, all new videos will be upload to my youtube and mediafire accounts for quick listening and downloads. Please come by my channel, comment or subscribe if you would like to see more VG music covers. I’ll try to continue to step up the quality of my playing, arranging and recording.

Thanks,
-KatanaSwordfish

TGP said on Sep. 30, 2010

At times it kind of reminds me of the Cave Story OST… I love the theme of the remix. You should make more like this.

Also, I have the entire OST on a ROM I put on a DSi flashcart. Much more convenient and space-conserving.

TGP said on Sep. 30, 2010

And I was talking about the Mother 3 OST in that last comment, not Cave Story, sorry for any confusion.

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 30, 2010

Breaking Benjamin or System of a Down should make a version of this,SOAD did one for Zelda so why not this.My PSP would be pleased.iPods are better than Micros BTW,but PSP tops it all off! 😀

Saturnome said on Oct. 1, 2010

The System of a Down – Zelda thing is a hoax. Somehow, someone named a mp3 file like this back in the Napster days (like so many of today common errors) and tons of people got the wrong idea. Some guy named Joe Pleiman made this in 1998.

AnAnon said on Oct. 3, 2010

KatanaSwordfish said on Oct. 3, 2010

“So far I’m listening to the first one which is absolutely amazing… I’m downloading this right away. Great job, Kat. 😀

At times it kind of reminds me of the Cave Story OST… I love the theme of the remix. You should make more like this…” (TGP)

Thanks TGP. 🙂

I actually haven’t played Cave Story yet, but I’ve heard good things about the sound track. With this track I really wanted it to be sort of Hip Hop x Video Games. A big source of inspiration for me when it came to making my synth choices and overall decision making was the sound track to Bionic Commando Rearmed. Even though i’m sort of inexperienced with electronic music, I tried to spend a while making some interesting synth sounds.

I’ll absolutely be making more songs like this in the future. My work-flow consist of (1) picking a song that I really like, (2) choosing what style I can use to make the song true to the ‘feel’ of the original while stile being unique and interesting to the listener, and then (3) finding out how I can best achieve that style.

What I mean is, I may think “this song would be cool to hear as a jazz song…”, or “i should make this song a reggae song”, or even “this song absolutely has to stay true to its original style for it to make any sense at all”.

The only thing I don’t want to do is take everything and paint it all with the same brush. Video Game music is too diverse and special to make everything into the same genre. I love the diversity of styles in games. So I make a conscious effort to try new things if I can get away with it. Nobody wants to hear every song in a Jazz, or Metal, or Dub, or Electronic style. (And to be honest I don’t want to make them all in one style).

So I’ll keep doing what I’ve been trying to do and decide what style to do for each song on a case-by-case basis. Although, if i’ve recorded one song in a certain styles, i’ll probably make another song in a similar style eventually. So you can expect to hear more jazz, rock, reggae and synthy electronic styles to come.

“…Listening to the second one now… I have new respect for this track in Mother 3. I heard it so often that I got sick of it but this really… Emphasizes the composition, it’s great to hear some refreshing change…” (TGP)

I’m really glad that you feel that way. A big part of the reason I like making these covers is due to the fact that I really feel strongly about the original compositions. If my version of a song can give listeners a new level of appreciation for the original then I feel like i’ve done something that really does justice to the original composer’s intentions. So thanks, i really appreciate that.

“These are cool. “Is Anyone There” sounds, strangely, sort of relaxing but sort of anxious. And “Murasaki Forest” has a similar feel: relaxing but at the same time not relaxing. Like you’re being watched, or something. Both are great. But I’m curious, will there be more acoustic-like ones?” (AnAnon)

Thanks. I’m glad that you are enjoying the songs.

As far as acoustic tracks go (as well as some tracks that all less effect heavy and more standard): Yes, I have some plans for tracks in the future that are not really abstract and heavy on effects and synths.

Right now (for the next 5-ish songs) I’m working on covers from the Final Fantasy series. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXOyihJd9g). Of course, the will be more mother related stuff in the future (I already have a big, slightly insane plan running around in my brain about a future mother related cover. And obviously I haven’t even done any Mother1/2 songs yet.) but for right now I’m jumping onto the FF boat for a few songs.

I have quite a few songs in mind from a few different numbered FF games. The hard part is decided which to do. I have one in mind that is a little scary for me, because I’d really like to do it as a classical guitar style chord melody. I’m relatively inexperienced with classical solo guitar and it’s going to take a lot of practice and time to really do it well. There are also some kind of latin style songs, maybe a heavy rock song, a reggae/ska-ish song, etc. I have a list of like 30 of my favorite songs from a few different FF games and i’m trying to only pick about 6 to cover (for now at least), so it’s a kind of hard process. Like i said earlier in the post. I want to change styles drastically. It makes for better music and it makes me better at making music and playing music. So i’m going to try to keep doing that. 🙂

Anyway, I’ve made another really long and drawn out post again. Thanks again to everyone who has listened and downloaded. I hope that you guys are also interested in my non-mother-related covers. If so, please check out my youtube channel every few weeks! If not, then don’t worry, I love the mother games, and I still have a long list of songs from all of them that I want to cover.

PK Coffee said on Oct. 10, 2010

These are GREAT! I’ve always thought, listening to the later Rock Candy albums, that Mother 3 is underrepresented. (Not only in music, but in… fan recognition, I guess you could call it.) It’s refreshing to hear this stuff.

theskillz69 said on May. 26, 2011

i need a wess dance remix NOW

J-dog said on Aug. 18, 2011

when does the first song play in the game?