September 19th, 2010 | EarthBound, Videos

Over the past few years we’ve seen fans figure out how to play the EarthBound/MOTHER games as quickly as possible, sometimes via live runs or via tool-assisted runs. This latest run of MOTHER 2 finishes the entire game in half an hour! How is it possible to beat a huge game like that in 30 minutes? By tying a bunch of glitches and tricks together, of course. In this case, the key glitch is the Threed circus tent glitch which is then used to access one of the game’s debug menus:

There’s even more trickery than that, as you can see if you check out the whole run. For the full video and full details, see here!

22 Comments to MOTHER 2 Finished in 30 Minutes

CalmingS said on Sep. 19, 2010

30 minutes?! Man, that must be a LOT of glitching!!

Starstormer said on Sep. 20, 2010

It might just be me byt when you run a game that quickly than it takes away the fun for me.

Darien said on Sep. 20, 2010

It’s not something you do your first play through the game. It’s like a challenge to see how quickly you can possibly get through it; the goal isn’t to experience the game as itself, the goal is sort of a metagame using the game as a framework. The “game” you’re playing when you do a TAS tends to be the “can I figure out an even trickier way than the ones everybody else uses?”

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

yetikirby said on Sep. 20, 2010

Wow 30 minutes! I didn’t know something like that was even possible!

DLAEsp said on Sep. 20, 2010

I love the Threed tent glitch. I’ve manipulated it way too many times 🙂

Also, completely unrelated, but I wanted to share it while I still remembered. The new generation of Pokemon , Pokemon Black and Pokemon White, has a track in it which resembles the Mother 3 Love theme note for note. Sorry for being so off topic
Here’s a vid:

MoonSide said on Sep. 20, 2010

Wow! Somehow I misread this as 30 hours and I wondered why you would list the standard time for completion. 30 minutes is unbelievable!! Kudos to the person who did it!

Catherine said on Sep. 20, 2010

@DLAEsp: Wow, you’re right, a few of those notes are almost, if not exactly the same! Awesome! EarthBound and Pokemon are my favorite video game series ever, and it’s really great to find random similarities like this!

DLAEsp said on Sep. 20, 2010

@Catherine: I should have messaged Mato about that before I posted it here.
They’re my two favorites also. Made me that much happier when I heard it.
But also, “N” doesn’t seem like a character that goes well with Mother 3…In my own opinion

MG said on Sep. 20, 2010

Holy crap! That is damn fast!

Starman 99 said on Sep. 20, 2010

Man, that’s a quick speedrun. It’s a bit strange, though. It seems like glitching your way through the first bit of the game and triggering the ending is hardly beating it.

Satsy said on Sep. 21, 2010

The video doesn’t like working for me. 😉 So I can’t really see what happened. But regardless, the whole ‘completed in 30 minutes’ seems all impressive… but by exploiting a glitch to get into debug, I don’t think it’s anywhere near as awesome. It’s not really ‘playing the game start to finish.’

Although I guess that’s not even what’s being advertised here. 😮

yut said on Sep. 21, 2010

I noticed that N’s fareweel has the MOTHER 3 love theme in it, also.
Over on Tvtropes there are a ton of WMGs about B/W being the future of mother 3.

All because the founders of isshu were two twins with a dragon…

yut said on Sep. 21, 2010

-farewell

Ginrei said on Sep. 21, 2010

Aaah, DLAEsp, your video is dead. What’s the name of the track??

DLAEesp said on Sep. 21, 2010

@Ginrei: N’s Farewell

dimo2 said on Sep. 22, 2010

Well, as impressive as 30 minutes are – does going in the debug menu and triggering the end really count?

Violet said on Sep. 22, 2010

To people who do speedruns like this, anything counts.

Personally I think its a bit silly, and throwing around the word “metagame” to make it sound fancy doesn’t really change that.

Then again, speedruns for RPGs always strike me as missing the point. Give me a Metroid speedrun anyday.

BurpBelch said on Sep. 23, 2010

It’s weird…

But, in theory, you could do all of this for real, so it obviously is legit.

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 27, 2010

At last, this TAS has been published at TASVideos.

GhostSonic said on Oct. 7, 2010

I knew that tent was useful!

Dark Kirby63 said on Dec. 7, 2010