September 14th, 2010 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Videos

I came across a Japanese song called “MOTHER 2” by a small band called the Zippers. You can (hopefully) hear the song here. If not, you can check out their MySpace page here.

I’m absolutely horrible at picking up lyrics in any language, but as far as I can tell there isn’t much relation lyric-wise to the game. But there’s no doubt that there’s EarthBound music influence in there 😛

You can also see a live version of the song on YouTube here, but the audio’s pretty low-quality.

Makes me wonder how many other people out there have started bands around the series or made songs about the series with their band.

23 Comments to MOTHER 2 by the Zippers

king said on Sep. 14, 2010

there’s a band in Salem OR that quotes a bit of pollyanna in a guitar solo.
and I’m pretty sure another of their songs had some lyrics from the halloweenbound hack (I only heard it live)

Kyle said on Sep. 15, 2010

are you familiar with the hip hop project that The Adventures of Duane & Brand0 started? It unfortunately was not finished due to their breakup

Tokoro said on Sep. 15, 2010

@King: What band is that? I’d love to check them out sometime :3

PK Pirate said on Sep. 15, 2010

This is the unfinished Duane and Brando Earthbound LP
Warning: It contains some foul language.

Supreme Dirt said on Sep. 15, 2010

That’s pretty amazing. Going to have to look into it.

Seriously, where do you find this stuff?

resetsurvivor said on Sep. 15, 2010

I had a band the played house parties often. We did a Mother 2 montage. It started with the “choose a file” song, then the hotel song, and ended with a punk version of smiles & tears. I have an old VHS tape of it somewhere. The party really liked it .. although no one knew what it was but us. I’ll try to look for it.

Starman 99 said on Sep. 15, 2010

@PK Pirate: Just a heads-up, BrandO is planning on starting over and making an EB song from scratch. That will be fun to hear once he gets to work on it.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

doop said on Sep. 15, 2010

This song kind of reminds me of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvscncsyb1E

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 15, 2010

I’ll just stick to Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin,but they did better than anything i could do.=D

MG said on Sep. 15, 2010

Sounds pretty good. I’ve been trying to get people at my school to form a band for years, but everyone I’ve found is either already in a band or doesn’t want to be in one.

Naja said on Sep. 15, 2010

There’s a japanese chiptune artist called DENTAKU, one of his CD’s, an EP called “Sponge room”, has a Mother cover pic.

The music sounds of course very similar to Mother, in all its Famicom fashion, but they’re not covers, all original songs.

Naja said on Sep. 15, 2010

^ I also sent an email to Tomato once about that, but he didn’t post it so I guess he didn’t consider it too important 😛

Vonyco said on Sep. 16, 2010

I think I know why the song is called “MOTHER 2”.
The bass part is quite similar to the bass part found in the file select music from EarthBound. In fact, there are probably even more MOTHER 2 music quotations in the song. I just can’t think of any more. 😛

LucasTizma said on Sep. 16, 2010

I didn’t really hear anything that seemed to be inspired by MOTHER 2. :-\

somaticdefilement said on Sep. 16, 2010

Me and a few guys from starmen.net have a band that is dedicated to covering MOTHER music.
We Are…Lumine Hall

Saiai said on Sep. 17, 2010

I like how almost none of the comments in here are about the band/song.
Not to say they’re amazing or anything, but I’ve already listened to the song like 3 times, so I’d say I like them. <3

eb fan 1 said on Sep. 18, 2010

i hear the twinkle elementary music!

eb fan 1 said on Sep. 18, 2010

im the only one who hears it !?

EarthBoundRules said on Sep. 18, 2010

I hear it too. Also this song rocks!

liarxagerate said on Sep. 23, 2010

The singer seems a little out of her range at the top end, but that’s neat.

Roo said on Sep. 28, 2010

liarxagerate: Yeah, I agree the singer seems a bit over her head at times, but all in all a fun song. I can hear a bit of the light-hearted Mother influence in there.

Matt said on Oct. 14, 2010

The band ‘!!!’ – which is a decent band all things considered, briefly used a picture of onett on their myspace page for one of their songs. This was back in their ‘myth takes’ days and it’s no longer up.