MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

September 11th, 2010 | MOTHER 1+2

A while back, tintinophile691 sent this in:

I discovered this while messing with the GBA version of Mother 2.

In the GBA compilation “Mother 1+2”, you can actually do a weird walk in the Mother 2 section by pressing the Left, Right, and Down buttons on the D-pad. I tested it, but this does not apply to the SNES version.

You actually walk DOWNWARDS, but you are facing in a different direction.

After hearing about this, I tried it out on my M1+2 cart. I couldn’t get this to happen, leading me to believe tintinophile691 was using an emulator and pressing a bunch of buttons at once that wouldn’t be possible on a real D-pad. But I did get the game to weird out and crash one time while I was trying hard to press all three at once. Whatever it is, something strange is going on.

If you happen to have a MOTHER 1+2 cart, try it out and let me know if you can get anything weird to happen. The M1+2 port seems to have a lot of little bugs, so who knows, it may lead to some glitches that can be exploited, like defeating Giygas without praying.

29 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Walking Bug?

Mato said on Sep. 11, 2010

Also, while I’m here, yes, the M1+2 project is still on hold due to lack of free time 😐

Pokey said on Sep. 11, 2010

Take your time, dude. We’ll be waiting patiently.

KingDarian said on Sep. 11, 2010

I just tried it on my Game Boy micro with no luck. I don’t have the ROM handy, so I can’t test that out either. It would be interesting to see this.

BaG_2.0 said on Sep. 11, 2010

Lol, good call on that fallow up Mato, lest these comment be bombarded with questions.

I have no idea why, but these little quirks and such are really interesting to me.

MG said on Sep. 12, 2010

Wouldn’t you break the D-pad in half if you pushed down all three directions at once? Or maybe I’m thinking of a different design of D-pad than the one on the GBA?

Jungyin said on Sep. 12, 2010

As far as I know most D-pads are designed so that you can’t press opposite directions at the same time. So I’m guessing that, yes, that was done on an emulator.

Nat said on Sep. 12, 2010

The +Control Pad is definitely designed to only press left xor right, or up xor down, at once. But bent/broken +Control Pads can be used to press two opposite directions at the same time, so typically there are tests done during the certification process to make sure that games don’t behave poorly if this happens. A lot of game developers don’t test their engines this strenuously, though, and if the certification process misses it somehow (like if the bug is restricted to a certain area of the game) then it can definitely make it into a retail title.

It’s so hard to reproduce on a retail console, however, that it’s barely worth considering to be an actual bug πŸ™‚

linkdude20002001 said on Sep. 12, 2010

It’s good to know you haven’t forgotten about the translation, Tomato. I’ve been waiting for you to finish it so I can introduce my friends to the world of Mother. A funky, old, prototype translation isn’t what I want them to relate to the Mother series.

LucasTizma said on Sep. 12, 2010

Perhaps I’m just missing something obvious, but why is there even an M1+2 translation being made? Weren’t the scripts just taken verbatim from the original games? Or am I just stupid?

Violet said on Sep. 12, 2010

I’m with LucasTizma on this, I don’t really see the translation as necessary.

I was really delighted to see Mato poking at the idea of a translation for Tomato Adventure, but that idea seems to have been ditched. I would much rather have that, personally.

Mato said on Sep. 12, 2010

I could swear I already replied to you about that on a forum LT, must’ve been one of my other ones πŸ˜› If anything, a lot more was censored from the English version text than any of us knew.

The Tomato Adventure project was way too big once I saw the size of the script and the the complexity of the hacking. It was fun to work on but I’m finding that as time goes on I have less and less time for hobby projects :/

No Name said on Sep. 12, 2010

Tomato: Maybe you could change mother 1 and have 4 party members at the same time?

LucasTizma said on Sep. 12, 2010

@Mato: Ha ha, well before I was asking why you needed to retranslate M1. I’m a handful of confusion and stupidity sometimes. πŸ˜€

Mudkip117 said on Sep. 12, 2010

I actually got it working, on my GBA SP. Pressing other combinations on the D-Pad makes you walk weird in other directions too.

Mato said on Sep. 12, 2010

LucasTizma: Oh, I don’t really see a need for a Mother 2 retranslation, but if we do end up hacking it then I’ll probably fix a few things here and there at least.

My main reason for wanting to translate the GBA version of Mother 2 is that it’ll be a LOT easier to translate the GBA version of the game into other languages afterward.

Matt said on Sep. 12, 2010

Can’t get it to work, and I don’t wanna crack my D pad in half to find out if it’s possible

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 12, 2010

On the emulator, I can get it working (after allowing left+right and up+down). Basically, when you push left+right+down Ness walks south, but the walking animation is southwest.

Additionally, if you push up+down+right, Ness walks East, but the walking animation is southeast.

Pushing left+right+up and up+down+left does nothing; Ness just stands there.

I don’t think this is really a big glitch though. In Mother 3, if you push up+down or left+right at the same time, you stop walking and pushing the other directional buttons does nothing. However, if you are dashing and push up+down or left+right, you dash in place. If you release the two buttons at the same time, you continue to dash in place. Pushing a direction will resume dashing in that direction.

Perhaps I should demonstrate what I just described here… Anybody want me to make a video of this?

Catherine said on Sep. 12, 2010

Yes, I’m sure a video would be helpful and interesting.

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 12, 2010

Whoops, it turns out that my keyboard wasn’t actually allowing me to push left+right+up and up+down+left for some reason. I mapped a few keys to autohold so I could push those combinations and it turns out they also cause a similar glitch where Ness walks straight when his animation suggests walking diagonally.

Mother 1 in Mother 1+2 appears to have no glitch like this one.

I’ll try to put a video together soon demonstrating trying all combinations of the directional keys in Mother 1+2 (both games) and Mother 3.

Hejiru said on Sep. 13, 2010

Sounds cool to me. Maybe we can make Ness moonwalk!

D64 said on Sep. 13, 2010

I don’t know if this counts for news, but it’s Mario’s 25th anniversary in japan, and Miyamoto and Itoi did a “Iwata asks” style interview. It’s in japanese though πŸ™

I thought I’d tip you off to that if you hadn’t already seen it.

Here’s the link good sir

LakituAl said on Sep. 13, 2010

Speaking of Moonwalking: Mother 3 seems to have a quirk like this too. If you have the “strange” status out of battle and try to Moonwalk down the stairs the characters will be facing the correct way when on the stairs and start waling backwards again as soon as they get off the stairs. I’ve only done it once in Thunder Tower, and I don’t have to patience to go there again to battle Whatevers again just to record it, though…

Starstormer said on Sep. 13, 2010

It almost seems like this has become some kind of game. You try and find out how many glitches are in all the EarthBound games.

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 13, 2010

I could try the rom on my PSP since the pad is split in 4 directions.

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 13, 2010

chaobreeder20: you’ll have to see if the emulator on your PSP allows left+right and up+down. It could be a toggleable option. VBA does not let you input left+right and up+down unless you enable the option.

I will try to put the video together tomorrow when I have free time. I had some issues with recording the input display yesterday, but I got it fixed.

mntorankusu said on Sep. 14, 2010

You can do this on some original, launch DS Phats. They had a flaw that allowed the dpad to be pressed down in the middle, activating three or all four directions at once, depending on exactly where you press it.

Still the best dpad ever made, though.

Cleveland Rock said on Sep. 14, 2010

I really hope Mother 2 is retranslated too, someday. I want to play Mother 2 the way Shigesato Itoi intended, Blues Brothers and KKK references and all!

PurimPopoie said on Sep. 14, 2010

Like Nat said, lots of games have this sort of ‘bug’, because they aren’t programmed to handled processing two different directions at once. I remember doing this on ‘A Link to the Past’ on an Emulator before, and Link would be facing Left while walking straight down.

Interestingly, a glitch in PokΓ©mon Diamond and Pearl called “Tweaking” seems based on this sort of error: by rapidly crossing one of the game’s invisible ‘loading lines’, you can trick the game into loading an area away from where you actually going. You can read up on it here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tweaking

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 16, 2010

This took longer than I intended, but I finally put up a video demonstrating how pushing opposite directions on the D-pad affects movement in all of the Mother games!

Available in 1080p.