September 16th, 2010 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 1+2, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

The other day I posted about a tip that there was a possible control pad bug in the MOTHER 2 part of MOTHER 1+2. Apparently the programmers figured people couldn’t press opposite directions at once, so they didn’t do any special checks for it. Depending on the system you’re using and the condition of your control pad, though, it’s supposedly possible to press opposite directions at once.

blahmoomoo made a really detailed video showing how each of the MOTHER games reacts to this:

I tried it with MOTHER 1+2 on my original DS and couldn’t get it to happen – instead I got the game to crash. I think it was because I was near the bottom of a room. Anyway, with all these little bugs we’re finding in MOTHER 1+2, it’s interesting to see bit by bit how less sturdy its programming is than the original MOTHER 2.

12 Comments to EarthBound Control Pad Bugs

Penguiness said on Sep. 16, 2010

Eh, nothing special. That should normally happen on a system that typically doesn’t let you push combinations of up+down or left+right.

Earthbound_X said on Sep. 16, 2010

Wow, Earthbound looks great in HD, so crisp and clear.

R7038XX said on Sep. 17, 2010

Not nearly as game-breaking as the d-pad glitch in Link To The Past, but still neat none the less.

Big A2 said on Sep. 17, 2010

Its still kinda cool people keep finding these little oddities in the games.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

MrSaturn0099 said on Sep. 17, 2010

I tried it with MOTHER 1+2 on my DS and nothing happened. I can’t really do left+right or up+down on a DS D-pad anyway.

MG said on Sep. 18, 2010

I was kinda expecting major glitching to happen when you do that. It’s still kinda interesting, though.

Lance said on Sep. 19, 2010

Wow. I just realized by listening to the intro of this video that the interlude in the Saturn Valley theme is the music for the Monkey Caves in Mother.

thatguy said on Sep. 20, 2010

it killed my thumbs but I got this to happen on my cart of Mother 1+2. 😀

MrSaturn0099 said on Sep. 30, 2010

OK, I tried it again with the DS D-pad on my MOTHER 1+2 cart, and something weird happened. I pressed up+down and Ness moved left and faced left, too, and I did left+right and he faced down and moved down. Very strange.

sticktendo said on Oct. 3, 2010

@MrSaturn0099 The same thing happened when I tried it on my Game Boy Player. I had U+D held, but nothing special happened.

Dark Kirby 63 said on Dec. 5, 2010