Onett in 3D… and Like Never Before!
The recent revealing of the upcoming MOTHER 2 figures probably has a few people wondering why some of the figures look different from their official EarthBound clay models. This is because Nintendo of America altered some of the clay models when they were localizing the game into EarthBound.
For example, you can see how Ness was changed:
MOTHER 2’s Ness on left, EarthBound’s Ness on right
And Paula had even more changes:
Prototype MOTHER 2 Paula on left, final MOTHER 2 Paula in middle, EarthBound Paula on right
I’m guessing that they changed the models to look older so they’d seem less kiddie to the teens and young adults that they were aiming the game at (reference). I don’t recall if the EarthBound Player’s Guide ever gave Ness and Paula an age, but according to various MOTHER 2 materials I think he’s supposed to be 11.
I haven’t really gone through and compared all the different clay models between the two games – does anyone know if any others were changed?
Other Related Posts:
65 Comments to Different EarthBound Clay Models
- Leeaux: This is cool. Man it must have taken forever for him to do all these though. Geez! Bless you Tomato! This is all I have while I wait on...
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...