Localization Book Poll
The recent revealing of the upcoming MOTHER 2 figures probably has a few people wondering why some of the figures look different from their official EarthBound clay models. This is because Nintendo of America altered some of the clay models when they were localizing the game into EarthBound.
For example, you can see how Ness was changed:
MOTHER 2’s Ness on left, EarthBound’s Ness on right
And Paula had even more changes:
Prototype MOTHER 2 Paula on left, final MOTHER 2 Paula in middle, EarthBound Paula on right
I’m guessing that they changed the models to look older so they’d seem less kiddie to the teens and young adults that they were aiming the game at (reference). I don’t recall if the EarthBound Player’s Guide ever gave Ness and Paula an age, but according to various MOTHER 2 materials I think he’s supposed to be 11.
I haven’t really gone through and compared all the different clay models between the two games – does anyone know if any others were changed?
Other Related Posts:
65 Comments to Different EarthBound Clay Models
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.