August 11th, 2010 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

Just a small swag update today.

First, you might remember a while back when someone was trying to sell a copy of EarthBound for $6000. I don’t know if that one ever sold, but the same seller listed one for a similar insane price shortly after, and I watched the price on it fall bit by bit every month or so. Until yesterday, when someone bought a copy of EarthBound for $2000 😯

That’s probably one of the most expensive EarthBounds ever sold. I don’t think the prototype cartridge sold for that much even.

Anyway, next on the swag spotlight is this EarthBound in-store poster:

There’s some more info here, too.

These posters are very rare, I usually see them once every two or three years, and they tend to fetch pretty high prices. From what I’m told, there are actually two different types of EarthBound posters, the biggest difference being their sizes. Does anyone have any more info on the poster differences? I’d like to know more about them, but good, definitive info is hard to find.

That’s all for now, if you come across any cool EarthBound/MOTHER-related auctions or whatever, let me know and I’ll probably make an update about it!

20 Comments to Swag Watch: August 11, 2010

resetsurvivor said on Aug. 11, 2010

I’ve never really seen this poster before. Was this after the scratch and sniff contest because, if I’m not mistaken, wasn’t the mystery smell pizza? The answer was right in front of our noses! Pun intended… ?

Mato said on Aug. 11, 2010

I don’t know if there was a clear cut-off date for the contest. But I assume the posters were in stores before and shortly after the game’s release.

Some of the scratch n sniff ads had pizza in them too: http://earthboundcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ebsac_mail_inside.jpg

neonix said on Aug. 11, 2010

Yeah, the pizza smell was a dead GIVEAWAY! Hah! I can make a pun too!

I’m trying my hardest to get this poster. Even though I have no clue yet where I’ll put it.

Pigmask Private said on Aug. 11, 2010

Hey Neo, the wall’s a good place to start. 😉

Oh, Mato, did you get my email? I used the submit thing on here.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 11, 2010

Eh, I don’t think I’m going to be a competing bidder on the poster given that 1) Neonix is gonna go CRAZY over it and 2) it’s one of my least favorite pieces of merchandise in the series just given how bad EarthBound’s marketing was. Yet, the collector in me can’t deny how attracting such a rare item is. 🙂

Ninji said on Aug. 11, 2010

My college fund might end up decreasing in the case, if I do win this particular item. But I’m not very big on collecting EarthBound stuff, too much money and time must be spared for this hobby, plus, 1: neonix will not lose this item 2: LucasTizma has some thought into this (2 way war may be in the midst of happening) and 3: It reeks of the reason why EarthBound didn’t get it’s “15 minutes of fame”. But, that still is one SICK poster there! Pun’s are easy! (you know, sick as in cool, and disgusting). 😛

Penguiness said on Aug. 11, 2010

I think moldy pieces of pie are a good example of the game. (sarcasm)

Anonymous said on Aug. 11, 2010

i just noticed that t the bottom of the poster theres the back of ness then his reflection in the starmans visor…. it all makes sence now…

Anonymous said on Aug. 11, 2010

*at srry for double post

CJ said on Aug. 11, 2010

I’ve seen that poster before! They had it up over the SNES section at the local video rental store where I grew up. I recall seeing the poster every time I went there and one day finally spotting Ness in the Starman’s visor. Curiously enough I don’t remember them actually having a copy of the game there.

Dlakii said on Aug. 11, 2010

I’d certainly love a good EarthBound poster, but while that is an EarthBound poster, yes, it’s kinda lacking on the “good” bit IMO; it strikes me as being a bit too cluttered and bright, with that… stuff… in the background. So yeah. Still, great to see one appearing and all that.

Roo said on Aug. 11, 2010

Over $80 with almost 6 days left? This one’s gonna go for several hundred at least.

Too bad it’s not sealed in a VGA box, they could sell it for $3000 or so.

FuzzyPicklez said on Aug. 12, 2010

I just realized. While I was on this site on an iPad, it was all vertical. You could wear earthbound central as a tie!! Wouldn’t that be awesome!?

Cubivore10 said on Aug. 12, 2010

NO game should ever be that much. Maybe a prototype of something…maybe.

yetikirby said on Aug. 14, 2010

Wow a copy of earthbound celling for over $1000! I mean sure copys of earthbound can get pretty expensive but come on!

KingDarian said on Aug. 17, 2010

All right, who killed my chance at winning this thing?

neonix said on Aug. 18, 2010

I, sir. 🙂

Poe said on Aug. 18, 2010

Congrats, neonix! Display that bad boy with pride.

KingDarian said on Aug. 18, 2010

::angryfistshake::

You’ll pay for this!!!

You’ll pay over $360, to be more exact.

Congrats, I guess. At least it’s in good hands.

🙂

Zoom! said on Aug. 2, 2011

I hate how people sell Earthbound at ridiculously high prices because they think its rare when its not, otherwise it wouldn’t constantly pop up.