Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #37
Earthbound Super Nintendo Snes Cleaned & Tested

August 9th, 2010 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Merchandise

A little while back I posted about a new CD coming out that features a lot of Keiichi Suzuki’s movie and game music. This CD includes some MOTHER series music too, including a new version of Smiles & Tears.

If you don’t remember what Smiles & Tears is, it’s the song that plays at the end of EarthBound, during the staff credits. Shigesato Itoi actually wrote lyrics for the song and included them in the MOTHER 2 instruction manual, but until now (15+ years later) the lyrics (except for “I miss you”) had never actually been sung to the song in any official fashion.

Here’s the new song, with the new lyrics:

If you’re a collector of EarthBound stuff, you can get a copy of the full album here.

21 Comments to Smiles & Tears, With Lyrics

Posiedien said on Aug. 9, 2010

Awesome! Lyrics for my favorite song 🙂

KingDarian said on Aug. 9, 2010

Did you ever get the info/scans from Suzuki’s compilation album I sent to you? I could have sworn it went through when I re-sent it.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 9, 2010

HOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY CRAP! A new Pollyanna song (AMONG OTHER MOTHER SONGS?!) from 鈴木慶一 himself! MUST HAVE!

LucasTizma said on Aug. 9, 2010

Hm. It seems I may have been mistaken. It appears as if this CD is just a compilation of his previous works, not remixes or new compositions of any sort (except Smiles and Tears 2010). 残念だったな。。。

effigy of starman said on Aug. 10, 2010

Amazing, this is my favorite song from the MOTHER series.

Omnomnominous said on Aug. 10, 2010

@LucasTizma
If you get hold of the album, would it be possible to share it? I’d buy this myself, but ordering from anywhere outside Europe is diffucult ‘cuz I live in England.

On The Moonside said on Aug. 10, 2010

(Man, I’m just too lazy to log in)

You might check CD Japan (cdjapan.co.jp)..
Just checked: The CD is USD $38.34 Euro 29.47
I’m still not sure about shipping to England.

Hope I helped you!

I would buy it in a heartbeat but, for my cosplay (dress up as a character.) at an anime con I need to order my $40 wig.

neonix said on Aug. 10, 2010

Anyone know who the girl is singing on this track? She has a really cute voice! :3

EBGod said on Aug. 10, 2010

They left “I miss you” that’s all that matters. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Roo said on Aug. 10, 2010

That’s excellent. This is my favorite song in the whole series (still mad at Smash Bros. Brawl for almost but then not including it). The song has such emotion in of itself, but to hear a human voice (and read along with the English translation) just adds to the effect.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

192bpm said on Aug. 10, 2010

the singer is etsuko yakushimaru of the band soutaseiriron (theory of relativity). she’s brilliant.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

kenisu said on Aug. 10, 2010

Huh. They changed リュック to けっこう, lopped off the second half of the second verse, and added an English “Smiles and Tears” between そう and 涙と笑顔. Interesting. Either way, I choked up *bad* listening to this.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 10, 2010

Hm… Why can’t she sing Pollyanna, too? D:

Chrissii (too lazy to login) said on Aug. 10, 2010

That was beautiful. I had tears through the whole thing (though that song does that to me anyways)… Has anyone been able to import it that could share an mp3 with the rest of us?

SamWibatt said on Aug. 10, 2010

Very pretty! I don’t suppose the Smiles and Tears track is available by itself as an MP3? Those import CDs are a bit steep for me. 🙁

Tetra said on Aug. 10, 2010

That “I miss you” gets me every time.

linkdude20002001 said on Aug. 10, 2010

Hmm… This isn’t sung the way it’s supposed to according to the music sheet. Oh well. Still is awesome! 😀

When I’m not feeling lazy, I should scan the music sheet.

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 10, 2010

Over 15 years later, they fill in the missing line! Yippee.

Also, whatchu talkin’ ’bout Kenisu? They still used リュック.

Mato said on Aug. 11, 2010

KingDarian: I can’t remember, the last thing I remember is the file being corrupt or something.

BlaBla said on Oct. 23, 2010