August 30th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images, Merchandise

A long while back I posted about the rare and mostly-unknown official Slot Bros. board game/dice game/card game, but at the time no one at the site had ever owned a copy, so the details were very sketchy. Then, many months ago, the ever-awesome neonix won one and scanned it all at very good quality for the rest of us to see!

I sat on the update for a while because I wanted to translate the rules… but months have passed and I still don’t have the time or energy, so for now I’ll just post the scans, which you can get here.

If someone with the skills can translate the rules, that’d help out a lot. Or maybe fans can make up their own games with it, I think that sounds cooler to be honest 😛 Anyway, if you’re interested, check it out – it’s a rare piece of official merchandise!

21 Comments to Slot Brothers Board Game Scanned

Starman 99 said on Aug. 30, 2010

Wow, that looks really cool. I wonder how you play, because I’d totally try that if I knew how.

MoonSide said on Aug. 30, 2010

Somehow I get the urge to print this out, glue it to cardboard and have a PARTY!!! If it was translated… 😀

KingDarian said on Aug. 30, 2010

:O WHOA!!!

I’ve been looking for this for the longest time, but they never seem to show up on Yahoo! Japan when I look. I’ll get my hands on a copy one of these days, but in the meantime I’ll ogle over this.

Joe said on Aug. 30, 2010

I’ll see if I have time this weekend.
It didn’t look TOO bad. I thought you meant the image you’re currently showing. But when I downloaded the files, I got the gist of what you trying to say, lol.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 30, 2010

Argh. I passed up a sealed deck of these cards on YAJ when I was just starting out my MOTHER collection. I want to kick myself now. In fact, I think I will…

MG said on Aug. 30, 2010

Wow, looks interesting.

LakituAl said on Aug. 30, 2010

I’m not wearing my glasses right now, but I think it says it’s for 2 to 5 players? How can you play with 5 people but only 4 dice? Oh well, if Itoi made it there must be a reason…

neonix said on Aug. 30, 2010

It’s actually for 3 to 6 players according to this old page – http://ejf.cside.ne.jp/review/slotbrothers.html

I think the dice are used all at once. One dice is larger than the other three and has a different arrangement (only one with sombreros on it).

Nattou said on Aug. 30, 2010

The number of players happens to say 2-6 on the scan.
遊べる人数 basically means ”# of people that can play”.

When you think of slots, though, you assume the number 3. One of those two must be wrong. I’m leaning more towards the website, though. Call me crazy.
(Perhaps, even, it could work both ways!)

neonix said on Aug. 31, 2010

Yeah, I’d side with the official box. There’s a scan of the manual in the download if you wanna check in there. I’m too lazy~

Nattou said on Aug. 31, 2010

Whoops, I actually meant to say the box, haha.
May as well take a look at the scans. Many thanks for taking the time to do this.
Quick question, though: Was the front of the box already semi-damaged when you received it? (I mean from the torn-off piece that I assume says “Produced by Shigesato Itoi”.)

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 1, 2010

Ehh…probly isn’t to fun by the sound of it.=/

Jungyin said on Sep. 1, 2010

How do you know that? You don’t even know how it’s played.

neonix said on Sep. 1, 2010

^Someone had too bad bad spins in the Dusty Dunes Desert. 😛

@Nattou – Yeah, I bought it with that tear already there. It’s too bad, especially right on the front, but oh well.

PK Mudkip said on Sep. 1, 2010

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 2, 2010

@Jungyin
I don’t know how it would play honostly,but it’s the by the way it looks like it would play that gives me that impression.It looks like it would play like a Uno and something else mixed in,I dont know i was just giving my oppinion on it.

yetikirby said on Sep. 3, 2010

I’ve been looking for this game for a long time, but I’ve ever found. Even if I had the money to import it, I most like wouldn’t be able to figure out how to play it…LOL

neonix said on Sep. 3, 2010

@chaobreeder20 – Uno is awesome! If this is as fun as Uno, I’d be pretty happy playing it.

chaobreeder20 said on Sep. 3, 2010

I do like Uno,alot actually :),but when i see a game i never played or heard of for that matter,i have to kind of have a natural doubt,then again,saying negative right off the bat isnt smart either =/ so thats a screw up on my part actutally.But do you know how it plays,or have a vague idea at least?

neonix said on Sep. 13, 2010

I can’t read a lick of Japanese (yet), so nope, lol 😛

But just looking at the game and the images in the instructions, it seems you roll three dice and see if your results match up with the cards on the table/in your hand. Not sure how the cards are distributed, might be something like you draw three for the turn. It seems like a lot of luck, which is fitting for a game based of slot machines. I’ve read before, I think in Mato’s original post about it, that it can get pretty fast-paced.

I think it could be a lot of fun. Eventually, we’ll get the instructions translated, at least enough to make an online game made of it, I hope.

Nyx said on Apr. 19, 2012

Kenisu should do it. Or maybe Tomato? Kenisu’s working on a light novel, all by himself, so maybe not, but Mato is one of the Funimation guys.

Find Merchandise!