Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #2
MOTHER Urawaza Daizenshu Ketteiban Strategy Game Guide Book w/Map Japan FM1472*

August 1st, 2010 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

For those of you who’ve never heard of it, there’s an organization called Twin Galaxies that keeps a catalog of video game world records – you can read some more about it here. If you’ve seen King of Kong, for example, you’re probably familiar with Twin Galaxies.

Anyway, a new EarthBound world record was made a few days ago: a verified, real-life run of the game was completed in 6 hours, 38 minutes, 16 seconds by Chris Corsi, aka EBchamp. You can see the page about it here.

Here’s what EBchamp said:

I just wanted to let you know that my speed run for Earthbound was verified and posted by Twin Galaxies (the official Guinness Book of World Record scoreboard for video games) on their site, below is the link:

link

I was able to beat the game in 6 hours 38 minutes 16 seconds (the stop watch was a little off). I have also attached some pictures of some of my notes that were taken, the stop watch with the record time, and the setup we had going. I have beaten my record three years in a row (I do the record run once a year) and I was very pleased with this time. I thought this was some interesting Earthbound news and figured I would share this with you.

He also sent in some pictures:

This is really cool – I’ve always been really interested in seeing just how quickly someone can get through the game in one sitting, and now there’s a world record people can point to and try to improve upon themselves!

53 Comments to An EarthBound World Record

no name given said on Aug. 1, 2010

On average, it takes me about 33 hours to beat earthbound,all because I try to get that stupid sword of kings.(shutter)

Israfel777 said on Aug. 2, 2010

Hmmm, I wouldn’t mind giving that record a try when I get the time to do so. But excellent job on receiving that honor.

I wonder if there’s room on there to add “Most Enemies Killed In A Single Battle” to the list?

Dlakii said on Aug. 2, 2010

Whew, that’s undeniably an impressive record. I certainly couldn’t come close, though that’s probably because I don’t play anywhere near as much as I should.

PK Saturn said on Aug. 2, 2010

I could never do that well.

random guardian said on Aug. 2, 2010

good job! I say this because doing the game that fast must take alot of work and thinking.

Ninji said on Aug. 2, 2010

This is another amazing feat for EarthBound fans, for EarthBound to be in Twin Galaxies. But, isn’t it kind of sad that before EBchamp, a guy named Marc Merica, beat EarthBound in 9 hours, got into Twin Galaxies, but never got his “15 minutes of fame” for doing so. Either A, Marc didn’t know of the fanbases for EarthBound, or B, he just didn’t get the recognition he deserved. Oh well, at least he never got the shame of losing his record, and then see it posted on an EarthBound website making him feel like dirt. Also, did you notice? Chris Corsi, and Marc Merica? Double C, and Double M? Well, who cares about that anyway. Also, what’s this I heard that EBchamp beat the game in 6 hours, but got 100% while Marc beat the game in 9 hours, and got only 68.69% done. Crazy. But, this is another leap forward into EarthBound, the finest RPG ever built! :D

SuperBlooper057 said on Aug. 2, 2010

Mother 1/3 still aren’t on there. :/

EBchamp said on Aug. 2, 2010

Thanks guys! It’s definitely taken me a lot of time and effort, but it is worth it.

@Ninji – I actually had the record 2 years ago, my time was terrible (11 hours and 30-something minutes). I sent in my record of 8 hours and 15 minutes last year and it got verified only about a month after Marc Merica’s record was verified. I felt kinda bad because he was probably happy to beat my record (of eleven and a half hours) but then lost it almost immediately. Also, the 68.69% that Marc Merica has is the percentage of his time compared to my time (he did complete the entire game).

Team Mountain!

MG said on Aug. 2, 2010

Wow, did you fill up both those notebooks with notes?

Team Mountain said on Aug. 2, 2010

Yes EBChamp you are right! This is Mike Halphen, Chris’s best friend of 23 years- I was right there to witness it all!

It went like this:

>>June 2008: Chris Corsi, first #1 World Record in EB – 11 hrs, 25 min, 3 sec. (no one was on the scoreboard until this time)

>>August 2009: Marc Mercia, new #1 – 9 hrs, 39 min, 48 sec.

>>Around Sept 2009: Chris Corsi, new #1 – 8 hrs, 15 min, 2 sec. (Chris got this record in June but because we took too long to send in the tapes it wasn’t verified and on Twin Galaxies until around September. Like Chris was saying, unfortunaltey for Marc Mercia, our tape was already in route to Twin Galaxies/waiting to be verified when his record was first posted. We were relieved when we saw it wasn’t less then 8 hrs!)

>>July 2010: Chris Corsi beats his already #1 record – 6 hrs, 38 min, 16 sec.

Since this was a formidable time, and three years in the making, he decided to send this time to EBcentral. (I’d been begging him since the 11 hr run to send it in to you guys!)

On The Moonside said on Aug. 2, 2010

(Too lazy to log in)

Just seeing that collection frightens me to think that in a few years my area might be like that…..

Congrats on the record!

SamWibatt said on Aug. 2, 2010

Very impressive! I think I spend longer than that just level grinding in Onett. :)

neonix said on Aug. 2, 2010

I love those notes! Congrats EBChamp. :)

EBGod said on Aug. 3, 2010

If I still had my cart I could probably contend with the score. I think I beat it already one run back in ’01 when I got around 6 hours. I had similar writing but on a computer instead of a notebook.

UncleFester said on Aug. 3, 2010

wait is that an Out Of This World sealed on top of the tv??

yetikirby said on Aug. 3, 2010

Wow! That’s amazing!

EBchamp said on Aug. 3, 2010

Thanks for all the comments! I’m glad this was an impressive time because I could not find much on a straight playthrough speedrun of Earthbound so I wasn’t really sure what was considered a good time.

@MG – I didn’t fill up both notebooks fully, but I did use a good amount. I think there ended up being close to 150 steps (just from the one notebook).

@EBGod – It’s a shame you don’t have your cart anymore cause it would be cool to drum up some more competition. At least you know where to look now if you get the chance to take a shot at it.

@UncleFester – Yes! My brother is a huge fan of Out of This World and has an H-Seam (sealed) copy of it. Good eye!

Leirin said on Aug. 3, 2010

Yeah, I also first head of Twin Galaxies thanks to the King of Kong documentary (which is excellent by the way, I recommend it).

That’s definitely an impressive record. I’m playing through the game again for summer I’ve probably put around 5 hours into the game already, and I just beat Threed.

BoltGSR said on Aug. 4, 2010

I just wanted to say, you have an amazing SNES collection.

Anonymous said on Aug. 9, 2010

How can you even verify he didn’t just cheat or speed up the game? c’mon now there is a lot of editing that can be done. 100% in 6hrs? Don’t think so.

TeamMountain said on Aug. 9, 2010

@ Anonymous – The 100% does NOT mean 100% of the game is completed. It has nothing to do with in-game play. Twin Galaxies has that percentage listed next to EVERY game record. They refer to the number one record as 100% and each other record as a percentage of that particular number one record.
——————————–
If you look at the rules for Earthbound, (check the posted link) the only requirement for the record is to just beat the game in one sitting. Thats it.

Anonymous said on Aug. 9, 2010

I seen people beating EB in 4 hours by using Zsnes Emulator and using fast speed and cheats (like walk thru walls, Max stats, no ememies attack etc…) so that would count? because I bet he used that too . it’s extremely easy for one to cut the video and use cheats. Anyways if he really did it 100% legit! then congrats I am not trying to offend anyone.

Mato said on Aug. 9, 2010

Videos are watched and verified by the people at Twin Galaxies, they specifically look for cheating and stuff like that. So if it was accepted as legitimate, then there wasn’t any cheating.

EBchamp said on Aug. 9, 2010

@Anonymous – For the Earthbound record to be verified you just have to beat the game without using cheats, hacks, or glitches. I beat the game in one sitting using a SNES hooked up to a VCR (as seen in the pictures) without cheating.

As Team Mountain said, each person that holds the #1 record (in any game on Twin Galaxies) has 100% listed next to their name. The other records (second, third, fourth, etc.) then have a percentage of the #1 record in that particular game listed next to their name, for example, Marc Merica’s time compared to mine was 68.69% of my time.

EBchamp said on Aug. 9, 2010

Also, I had my speed run recorded on VHS and sent them to the designated referee for Twin Galaxies (that verifies SNES games) and he verified it. I do have my speed run recorded on DVD (I had it transferred to DVD from the VHS) and I could try to post it somewhere at some point. If I do I will keep you guys informed in case anyone would be interested.

Vinstigator said on Aug. 10, 2010

Cool that is simply awesome! I am a professional Rapper and I love Earthbound to death!

LightningSaturn said on Aug. 11, 2010

Holy cow EBCHAMP! You have a ton of Super Nintendo games, and if my eyes are not fooling me, you have a couple of Super Famicom games as well! I only have to games, which is just Earthbound and some game called Turn and Burn (which is pretty bad…)

Anyways, congrats on the speed run!

skateman222 said on Aug. 18, 2010

Good job EBChamp :)

See, this is exactly why I wish I had an SNES and an official cart of Earthbound. My record though the game without using any emulator options such as turbo, save states or cheats and with using a controller is actually 6:06 after delivering the final blow to Giygas.

I have about 1000 lines of notes in a notepad file on my computer that I follow along with while playing and it helps a lot. My 6:06 was deathless too somehow O.o…’cause I usually fall to the Deparment Spook and the Carbon/Diamond Dog in my runs =/

Nice to see that 8:15 was finally beaten by someone, I wish I can compete with ya xD

Giygas said on Aug. 20, 2010

just exactly how do you beat EB in 6 and a half hours? it’s been my favorite game now for 15 years, and i still spend 40 to 50 hours beating it…

The Commander said on Aug. 20, 2010

Skip the sword of kings, fight when necessary and don’t die. Ever.

razzberrighost said on Dec. 2, 2010

didn’t chuggaaconroy attempt this and then there was a power outage or something?? Anyway holy cow that is fast!!!

TeamMountainGaming said on Dec. 18, 2010

yeah you know what I heard something that he was going for the world record- wonder if he knew what it was in the first place?? Chugga is one of my idols:)

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 3, 2011

Amazing! It takes me at least 30 hours to beat EarthBound! I go for 1/128 equips, FYI.
Looking at some of this guys notes, i don’t know how I would survive! I like to beat Frank around level 7, but not level 4! How does he stay alive?

Marc Merica said on Jan. 11, 2011

Hi, guys:

I just stumbled upon this page today. I’ve been aware of the fact that Chris took his EB record back in decisive fashion, but never knew this site existed, or that EB had such a following after all these years.

Ninji (and others), I think it’s a bit dramatic to suggest I feel like dirt, haha! Or that I didn’t get properly recognized for the accomplishment. I’ve submitted a number of records to TG and am impressed that they acknowledge most of them via forum announcements, something I wouldn’t have expected.

Although I hadn’t played the game in years until that run, I normally play like most of you–uncovering everything! When I set the previous record back in ’09, I remember it was a hot summer night and I couldn’t sleep, so I played EB all night long. Had it not been for a friend watching me play and occasionally (frequently?) giving me coffee, I might have turned into an actual zombie.

I’ve been wanting to see if I can break Chris’s time, or at least come close, but these days it’s difficult to try and set large 6, 7, 8+ hr blocks of time aside for things like this. There were plenty of mistakes in my run and I didn’t take such meticulous notes.

Anyway, going to poke around the rest of the site now–

Cheers,
Marc

TeamMountainGaming said on Jan. 13, 2011

Hey Marc! Great to hear from you!
This is Mike, Chris’s wingman during those (long and restless) EB runs throughout the years

So glad you found the site and this post- from day one we were always about fun and sportsmanship, EB is such an awesome game that it was always a blast to play through it every year, trying to gun for a better time (at least for me, I can’t speak for Chris who was the one actually playing! haha)

Its great to have finally ‘met’ the other world contender, and you seem like a great guy too!- hope you and Chris can both improve your scores even further in the future! Mike

Marc Merica said on Jan. 16, 2011

Mike:

Good to hear from you. The wingman is critical! I don’t think I’d want to play by myself for that long without one.

I remember getting the game as a kid back in ’95. I’d played RPG’s before, but never anything close to EB. I’m glad I found this site as I now understand the history of the series a little better. I did play the fan ROM (Mother 1 + 2 I believe) a couple years ago, too, and got sucked right into that as well, heh.

I can certainly improve my current time, but by 3 hours? I don’t know. Definitely going to have to do my homework and take some more chances. Just looking at these few pictures tells me you guys did a lot of studying…maybe I need to increase my wingman’s wage (kidding). I got really sloppy in Moonside and wasted a lot of time there, for example, and a few other places too. To get a time like Chris did, I’m sure you had him hitting on all cylinders.

Even if I can’t beat Chris’s time, I’ll submit a new score as long as it’s an improvement over the current one. Just a matter of finding the time to try it!

I’m not normally a fastest completion/minimalist speed run type player, but after playing EB so many times and doing everything possible, it was the only new reason to play the game again. I imagine Chris feels the same way!

Marc

maskedsaturn said on Mar. 27, 2011

@skateman I tried that for M3 but used save after using save frogs cuz when I only used save frogs they wouldnt work D: and I completed chapter 1 in one sitting.

skateman222 said on May. 9, 2011

Oh boy…I finally own an SNES with an Earthbound cart! I am going to go for sub-6:1x, but I am very sure I can get under 6 hours if I am really, really lucky. Summer’s soon for me, so I have plenty of time to beat it >:D

Matteomax said on Jun. 8, 2011

If you look at Guiness Book of Video Game World Records 2011, In the back of it, this record is in it

lostaname said on Jun. 23, 2011

OH EHM GEE!!!! I don’t think I’d able to pull that off without TASS.

lostaname said on Jun. 23, 2011

also, no working link :(

Mato said on Jun. 23, 2011

Looks like they changed their site system despite still looking like a 1998 Geocities site. I think you have to sign up on their site to see the scoreboard stuff now, bleh.

Bread said on Dec. 13, 2011

ppthhhh! I can beat Earthbound in 5 hours I timed myself before

SSBMaster11 said on Dec. 29, 2011

When does timing start and stop? My first instinct is it ends at the “the end” screen after Picky knocks on the door, but it looks like you stopped timing earlier than that. I would assume timing starts when you click the last “Yes” on the naming screen?

SSBMaster11 said on Dec. 29, 2011

Sorry for double post, but, I’ve been looking around, and can’t find a video of this. Was it even recorded? I’d love to see it, if it was!

Mato said on Dec. 30, 2011

I’m pretty sure you have to record your gameplay when submitting to Twin Galaxies, but I don’t know if the actual video is online anywhere.

EBchamp said on Jan. 29, 2012

Sorry for such a late response on some of these posts.

@skateman222, that’s awesome! Glad there will be some more competition. Good luck in your attempts!

@lostaname, I believe Mato is right, they changed the way you can view scores and I think you have to login now…and yes, it definitely looks like a Geocities site lol.

@Bread, I said it in an earlier post, but if you think you can beat the time then go for it! The more competition the better!

@SSBMaster11, here are the rules taken from Twin Galaxies:
“The Timer begins when you leave the name entry screen and ends when the conversation with Ness’ mom ends, leading to the photo album (after the final boss). If at any point you fall in combat, you may freely “Summon The Courage to try again”, knowing the timer will continue going. You MUST Complete the game or your record/attempt WILL be disqualified!”

Also, like Mato said you have to send in a recording of the speed run and when you do you don’t get the video back. Fortunately I made a copy of the run onto DVD and I have it somewhere, just not sure where. If I ever feel up to it I will try to post it somewhere so people can view it.

Mato said on Jan. 29, 2012

Hey, welcome back!

If you do find the DVD but find it’s a pain to post it, you could send me a copy and I’ll see if I can find a place to put it. Six hour videos are probably pretty big though, I wonder where a good hosting site would be.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 29, 2012

I think you’d be better off splitting the video into equal parts. Five hour-long videos and a final, 1.5-hour video (or some denominations similar) seems to be a much better idea, especially for people who would potentially want to watch the whole thing – yet will still be great for those (like me) who would just like to see a part of it. Spearguns aren’t my thang, remember?? :)

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 29, 2012

LOL *Speedruns!*

Spearguns are #%&@$*% awesome!!!!

EBchamp said on Feb. 9, 2012

I will definitely look for the DVD and see if I can find it. I actually have a website (www.teammountaingaming.com) that I could probably upload it to, but I’ll let you know if I do find it and if I get around to posting it.

I’ll split the video up to make it easier on people viewing it, it’ll just be some work to separate it. And yes, spearguns are awesome! lol

100earthbound said on Jul. 6, 2012

im STILL stuck in Threed! The mini barf is hard to beat without PSI and Jeff and Paula. ( I have not even enought to stay in the hotel!) Please help me!

Find Merchandise!