EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

July 5th, 2010 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

This is pretty common knowledge by now, but after you save Paula, you can do a trick involving the Runaway Five that will make it so no enemies appear in Peaceful Rest Valley or the Lilliput Steps cave.

What you might not know is that you can use that trick to glitch the game up in an interesting (though currently useless) way:

Not much more to say, but I think it’s cool that we’re still finding bugs 15 years later.

Thanks to .GamerBluePK for the find and for the video!

28 Comments to Runaway Five Glitch

Seifer said on Jul. 5, 2010

Pretty cool. I wonder if it works in Mother 1+2 also…

Ryan said on Jul. 5, 2010

Haha, this happened to me by accident last time I played.

PK Saturn said on Jul. 6, 2010

Interesting. May have to try that some time.

Shibaru, lazy to log in again said on Jul. 6, 2010

Wow I gotta find my USB stick or SD card now XD
Oh yea and I think I’m getting my first paycheck soon, I think I’ve worked enough to earn enough for a EB cartridge but I not sure

effigy of starman said on Jul. 6, 2010

This happened to me the first time I played the game, and it sucked because I was way too low level for Threed. xP

Skye said on Jul. 6, 2010

If you want to jump to this particular spot in the storyline, you can use the saves over at the downloads section of SVO’s site (click my name)

Chaos20022002 said on Jul. 6, 2010

i never knew you could do this but it’s cool and i wanna try this lol

Starstormer said on Jul. 6, 2010

So many glitches, I’m curious as to how many are left to find.

random guardian said on Jul. 6, 2010

only earthbound fans find glitches in 15 year old games 🙂

Ninji said on Jul. 6, 2010

EarthBound is a treasure trove for strange glitches, apparently, I like it! It’s like digging for gold, or, something like that 😉

skyrunner14 said on Jul. 6, 2010

Hey, I didn’t know about this! But that’s the beauty of Earthbound, there’s always something new to discover, intentional or not.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

BurpBelch said on Jul. 6, 2010

It’s a pretty helpful glitch, always hated the Lilliput cave.

neonix said on Jul. 6, 2010

I don’t think this trick is really a glitch actually. Since a glitch is unintentional, and I think the game was meant to be this way to prevent you from dying while the R5 wait for you. If you did die at that point, it could potentially cause a glitch, or if nothing else, make the flow of events feel awkward.

I’ve never tried it, but I assume if you walk back to Onett, there would be no enemies there either.

neonix said on Jul. 6, 2010

Of course, I guess they didn’t think it all the way through and didn’t expect you to have skipped over the mole. Kind of how I didn’t watch the whole video before commenting. 😛

TGP said on Jul. 6, 2010

This also happens when you die during the shattered man battle that’s possible after defeating Giygas.

Kyoo said on Jul. 6, 2010

TGP, I was thinking the same thing. mixed with what neonix said (caused because it was overlooked. because they expected them to already be defeated.)

Crav said on Jul. 7, 2010

Since it sounds like your invertory still works, I wonder if it would let you use an exit mouse to leave the dungeon…

Anonymous said on Jul. 7, 2010

Remember that glitch you can do when you can skip one of the mummies in the Summers museum, and fight it at the end of the game after giygas? This same thing happens if you intentionally die in that fight. the game glitches up the same way

Kyoo said on Jul. 7, 2010

@Anonymous, that’s exactly what TGP said, but thanks

Amphrenados said on Jul. 8, 2010

Still in GBA version?

Remmeth said on Jul. 11, 2010

Body actor for the video here. Out of curosity, I memorized the button pushing to use a certain item after activating the glitch, I can’t remember what item it was, but I think it was a food item. When I tried using it, it just gave me a bit of text I couldn’t see. I wonder if it was something like (Your party is dead, dead people can’t eat things.) The only thing I recommend before doing this is is to make sure that you don’t have a bunch of teddy bears on you, like the first time we did this…

Nathan said on Jul. 17, 2010

Yeah, that’s also the glitch at the end of the game (After you defeat Giygas). If you go back to the museum in Summers, you know how there were Shattered men in the place with the hieroglyphics? Well, if you don’t beat both of them, then there should still be one left at the end of the game, while there are none anywhere else. If you die during this battle, you get the same effect as in this video.

The Great Morgil said on Jul. 18, 2010

I remember the first time i ever played the game, i screwed up and bailed out the runaway five before beating the second sanctuary. Suddenly i found myself screwed with no enemies to level myself up with before the boss fight. I don’t remember getting a game over glitch, though. But things only got worse when i went to threed and stronger monsters there just slaughtered me. Now i know never to do that again.

TGP said on Jul. 25, 2010

The glitch also works in Mother 1+2, apparently. But that’s not surprising.

J-dog said on Jul. 6, 2011

THAT TEXT DOESNT LOOK LIKE EARTHBOUND! (the videos’ not there)

Rap play said on Jan. 29, 2012

But do the enimies come backafter you defeat the mondo mole?

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012