Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #18

July 9th, 2010 | Audio Stuff, Interviews, MOTHER 1

Many years ago, some folks got in touch with Louis Philippe, a musician who helped with some of the music for the MOTHER 1 soundtrack CD, most notably the Flying Man song. But the stuff he talked about was lost to the darkness of the old Internet, until Chas recently brought them back and put the info into article form:

Video Games are Beautiful: Flying Man (MOTHER OST)

This was something I always wanted to make an article about but never had the time, so I’m glad someone got to it!

22 Comments to Louis Philippe and Flying Man

Pigmask Private said on Jul. 9, 2010

That was pretty cool. A nice read.

blackpanther1026 said on Jul. 9, 2010

great to hear from musicians, especially video game composers and such

MG said on Jul. 10, 2010

I hope I’ll be able to compose for video games sometime in my life. Seems like a neat profession.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 10, 2010

Finally, some MOTHER love. Nothin’ does it for me like the music from MOTHER, and Flyin’ Man is one of my favorite tracks from the original OST. Really interesting to hear about the people Keiichi came into contact with to produce the album…

… Wish we could get in touch with Catherin Warwick and get an interview with her about, at the very least, Pollyanna. Those of you know who me know it’s my very favorite song. 😀

Chas Guidry said on Jul. 10, 2010

I tried getting in touch with the St. Paul’s Cathedral Choir (8 Melodies) and Jeb Million (Paradise Line), but haven’t heard anything back from either. And of course, Catherine Warwick is off the grid/hiding in a sea of other Catherine Warwicks from England.

And I agree about MOTHER music. I finally played through the entire game last summer, and while I didn’t really care for the gameplay much, the story and especially the music really stand out.

jeffy05 said on Jul. 10, 2010

my favorite song of the Mother soundtrack!
i love the lyrics especially. makes you appreciate the flying man.

Ginrei said on Jul. 10, 2010

WHOAH. I never knew the Game Over music was Flying Man!! And I love Flying Man! Wow…

Starstormer said on Jul. 10, 2010

I really liked that song. It was nice to finally read an article on it.

neonix said on Jul. 10, 2010

🙂

hylatio said on Jul. 10, 2010

@Chas Guidry: Catherine Warwick just commented on the Youtube page for the Pollyanna vocal song, maybe you can contact her there.

Omnitarian said on Jul. 10, 2010

Never noticed the game over theme was a rearrangement of Flying Man 😮

hylatio said on Jul. 10, 2010

Sorry to comment again- But after looking on the commenter’s YouTube page and looking at the other comments that person has said, it probably isn’t Warwick talking. It would be cool if it was real, but I’m betting against it 🙁

Naja said on Jul. 10, 2010

wait… so part of the track was recorded on Peter Gabriel’s Real World studio?

JB2448 said on Jul. 10, 2010

I find it interesting that the production value on the original MOTHER OST was higher than any of the other soundtracks released for the series. I just wonder if there was any reasoning behind that.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 10, 2010

@hylatio: Can you post a link, please?
@JB2448: Yeah I always wondered that too. Maybe because it was the first game in the series (even if Itoi didn’t intend to make sequels), so they went all out?

Gabo said on Jul. 10, 2010

i love the song, because it is the theme of the flying men!

Chas Guidry said on Jul. 11, 2010

hylatio: Can you link me to the particular video you mentioned? There are a bunch of Pollyana videos.

hylatio said on Jul. 11, 2010

@Chas and LucasTizma: It’s here (it’s the newest comment): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmA5bGv6FSQ

Of course, once you look at this person’s YouTube channel you can see that it’s extremely doubtful it’s real.

TGP said on Jul. 17, 2010

Considering this is the game over music, the lyrics make a lot more sense. Plus the fact that the Flying Men actually die when they’re defeated, just to make sure that you don’t…

lou said on Feb. 3, 2012