July 19th, 2010 | EarthBound, Merchandise

Yesterday, I posted about the new series of MOTHER series figures coming out over the next seven months (reference), but there’s actually a side contest to the whole campaign, which is explained in Japanese here.

Basically, the figures are broken into three groups, and whenever you win a figure set, you’ll get access to an e-mail address (using the 2D bar codes that you decode with your Japanese phone’s camera). If you send a blank e-mail to each of the three groups’ addresses, you’ll get entered into a drawing for a special set of MOTHER 2 stickers. The stickers are extra-large, die-cut stickers, and they include Ness, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Mr. Saturn, a telephone, and the game logo.

Most of all, only 200 will be given out, so these will be pretty rare. The whole deal with the 2D bar codes and Japanese phones makes it a lot harder for us Westerners to participate, so looks like Yahoo Auctions Japan and eBay will be the only way for most of us, as usual.

It’s interesting how there’s so much merchandise coming out for 16 and 21 year old games. It’s a shame it probably doesn’t mean anything though 😛

32 Comments to Limited Edition MOTHER 2 Stickers

Pigmask Private said on Jul. 19, 2010

Great, now they’re freakin’ rare.

: (

Onion said on Jul. 19, 2010

Woop woop this is what I’m really after.

Anonymous said on Jul. 19, 2010

meh stickers aren’t as cool as figures imo.

Ice Sage said on Jul. 19, 2010

It’s the M1 Franklin Badge contest all over again. 200 lucky winners in some drawing. And these aren’t like the FB which (in theory) is much easier to sell. Once the sticker(s) are used, that’s it. You can’t really rip of stickers and sell them as new.

Although I’d much rather have an FB than these. They better not be going for $9000 in one random auction, never to be seen again…

neonix said on Jul. 20, 2010

Your phone doesn’t have to strictly be Japanese. Most smartphones (Android, iPhone and others) have barcode scanners capable of detecting QR codes. It just happens to be much more popular, common, and have a lot more use in Japan because the technology was developed there.

I’m sure if the QR’s are on the figures’ tags or something, you could import the complete sets and scan them with your phone in the States, but even if you win, Banpresto likely won’t ship the stickers to an address outside of Japan. TOO B-A-D!

VideoGameExplorers said on Jul. 20, 2010

Stickers? I want that laptop, someone who advertised and probably helped make the stickers touched that laptop, and it has a Mr. Saturn sticker on the back. I’m tired of using this computer from 2001.

Poe said on Jul. 20, 2010

Seems like a lot of work to me. It’s a pretty cool prize, though.

Roo said on Jul. 20, 2010

That’s pretty neat, but I have to imagine it couldn’t be too hard to make some of these yourself (at least, not too hard in comparison to making those figures).

Are there any enterprising individuals out there who want to hook up the North American Mother community? 🙂

[…] Link Permalink […]

[…] Link […]

What'sHerFace said on Jul. 20, 2010

So you can win stuff by winning stuff?

Holy crap, Japan, let the rest of us in on this action.

But seriously, I DO wonder why all this Mother merchandise is suddenly coming out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the series becoming popular overseas after so long?

Paul said on Jul. 20, 2010

I doubt it has anything to do with the series becoming popular overseas, or they’d market it overseas.

(Yeah, I know… A hint of anything related to Earthbound or Mother will inevitably get posted on this blog, but is this blog really such a great marketing tool?)

_oMeGa_ said on Jul. 20, 2010

God damn, the combination of the figurines and stickers would make everything wrong in life right again, but it would be hilariously difficult to get both even if there was a chance of me going to Japan. Fffs.

PriestessPaula said on Jul. 21, 2010

Funny thing VideoGameExplorers, is that that looks like an iBook that might have been made from 2001-2005.

Onion said on Jul. 21, 2010

Hmmmmm. I’m pretty confident some of these will appear on YAJ at least. Remember, two of the mini Mr.Saturns from the run of 50 appeared.

So…just to be clear…there are only 6 types of stickers in total? They’ll be given out randomly over the course of the whole time figures are in the claw machines correct?

Mato said on Jul. 21, 2010

Well, it calls it a “sticker set”, so it sounds like you’ll get all six together.

MG said on Jul. 21, 2010

Jeez, these stickers are freakin’ huge.

MG said on Jul. 21, 2010

Oh, wait. *facepalm* I thought it said 17 inches. Forgot about the metric system.

Onion said on Jul. 21, 2010

@Mato

Rad chilis. I will be looking forward to thissssss.

Staarf said on Jul. 21, 2010

These do sound pretty easy to make, if you have the proper equipment to make stickers.

LucasTizma said on Jul. 22, 2010

Damn. Well I guess I’ll just have to stalk YAJ forever for these. I hate stuff I can’t get. 😛

Super-Flint said on Jul. 22, 2010

I’m very suspiscous as to why nintendo has suddenly started making earthbound merchendise when they don’t plan on releasing or re-releasing any Earthbound games soon… and if they were they most likely won’t be doing any in America Let alone my own country- Britain

PK Saturn said on Jul. 22, 2010

Banpresto is making the merch, not Nintendo

Super-Flint said on Jul. 22, 2010

In that case, i’m not as suspicuos as before but still a bit…

LucasTizma said on Jul. 22, 2010

If I were you, I’d be suspicious rather than suspiscous or suspicuos. 😉 Just playin’. Yeah, Banpresto apparently must love MOTHER. Therefore, I love Banpresto.

neonix said on Jul. 22, 2010

Banpresto sees a good market and an easy one too. They had already made plush dolls to promote MOTHER in the past, so they already know how to market them, and getting licensed to make more merch should have been an easy process.

New games are not necessary. MOTHER’s reputation precedes these figures, so they will sell obviously.

Mr. Anon said on Jul. 22, 2010

Maybe Earthbound will come out for the VC in Japan?

PK Saturn said on Jul. 24, 2010

I think that’s a possibility now that you mention it…

Dlakii said on Jul. 24, 2010

I’d love to think that this abrupt glut of EarthBound merchandising, especially one which is sorta larger-scale than the Mr. Saturn plushies of the past few years, is a prelude to some form of new release in the series. Then my common sense kicks in. 😛 Regardless, while not as interesting to me as the figures are, I do quite like the idea.

Mr. Anon said on Jul. 24, 2010

I don’t think Japan has the same copyright laws we do, do it is a possibility. Why else would they suddenly start making merch about an obscure, very old game that is in desperate need of a revival?

Saturn Ladder said on Jul. 26, 2010

That giant Mr. Saturn sticker has gotten my attention.
But where would one put these big stickers?

Gabo said on Jul. 29, 2010

Wow, I’m seeing this and seeing the MOTHER figures, i should be ready for some heavy ordering when they both come out!
Mato, if you can, make an update of your translation and i’ll make sure to see ebay in a few months to see if they have the stickers and figures in sale!
Keeping it Cool B@InG