July 7th, 2010 | EarthBound, Videos

Apparently they’re still showcasing that giant Mr. Saturn in different arcades in Japan – I thought they had stopped a while back. eagle0wl has a nice, high-quality video of it making an appearance so I had to mention it here.

It’s cool to see how much attention it’s getting from everyone there. That and the fact it could barely get out of the elevator 😛

You can also see some pics here and read more here.

Not entirely related, but I’ve come to realize that there are a lot more Mr. Saturn plushes than Master Belch plushes in the arcade machines. I thought they’d be 50-50, but I guess not. I hope that doesn’t mean Banpresto will stop trying to make other characters from the series.

27 Comments to Giant Mr. Saturn Sighting

Anonymous said on Jul. 7, 2010

Wow a lot of those chicks are hot.

Oh don’t mind me 😛

Izumi said on Jul. 7, 2010

That said, the giant Mr. Saturn will be at Taito Station in Nipponbashi, Osaka this weekend. 2 o’clock, 3 o’clock and 5 o’clock on both days. 🙂

MG said on Jul. 7, 2010

Wait, I still don’t get it. Is there a person in there or is it motorized/RC?

blahmoomoo said on Jul. 8, 2010

The whiskers, they move!

Also, whoever’s in there is pretty good at walking, no, waddling like a Mr. Saturn.

PK Saturn said on Jul. 8, 2010

Looks to me like it is RC but I can’t be sure.

Onion said on Jul. 8, 2010

It’s just like the others have said. Sugoi!

neonix said on Jul. 8, 2010

I think there are less Belch plushes because they wanted to see what kind of reception they receive. And it seems like the test results are positive, so maybe that will tell Banpresto to make more other characters.

MrSaturn0099 said on Jul. 8, 2010

The fact that it couldn’t exactly get out of the elevator makes it cuter…

phillipblabla said on Jul. 8, 2010

Mr. Saturn gets all the ladies.

random guardian said on Jul. 8, 2010

I was lmao at mr.saturn trying to get out of the elavator.
I also pray to god that kid in the video knows what mr.saturn is or he might be having weird dreams for a few days 🙂

FuzzyPicklez said on Jul. 8, 2010

It’s amazing that so many young people know Doseisan. There sure is a lot of MOTHER stuff in Japan nowadays.

…Could MOTHER be making a comeback?

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

Anonymous said on Jul. 8, 2010

No, the MOTHER series was always popular in Japan. No comeback, just more plushes until the end of time.

UnfamiliarCeiling said on Jul. 8, 2010

My kids draw Dosei-san in class all the time: on their homework, in their notebooks, etc. One time I asked them “Where is he from?” And I just got a shrug. They don’t understand what on earth he is, only that he’s cute and easy to draw. And that is Japan.
Most people I ask have no idea what Mother is, but when someone knows it, they KNOW it. Feast or famine.

blahblah said on Jul. 8, 2010

wish i was there:(

Joe said on Jul. 8, 2010

I was in Japan for 3 weeks around the end of May, and was lucky enough to take a Mr. Saturn plush, as well as Geppu (Master Belch).
And during those 3 weeks, I kid you not, from all of the Mr. Saturn crane games I went to, I only found one that had Geppu in it. It was the LAST ONE, and on the LAST DAY I was in Japan. Really can’t get any luckier than that, heh. I was staying in Fukuoka, if you were curious.
Basically, the odds of finding a Geppu was 100 to 1. Maybe they even intentionally made the odds 128 to 1, if you know what I mean. ;)

Greiv said on Jul. 8, 2010

Ahahaha the elevator bit is hilarious 😀

Starstormer said on Jul. 8, 2010

I would love to see one of those in person, just once.

Komaru said on Jul. 9, 2010

At UnfamiliarCeiling:
Funny that you say that- I drew a Mr. Saturn as the answer to an extra-credit question on a quiz once, and my teacher was quite confused.

Kyoo said on Jul. 9, 2010

I laughed like a little child when I watched this video

The-Masked-Commander said on Jul. 9, 2010

See that charger slot in the back? And on one of the older videos, when it’s plugged into a wall? I think it’s RC

LucasTizma said on Jul. 10, 2010

AW, he’s so cute! I want one of those to walk around my house!

LucasTizma said on Jul. 10, 2010

@Anonymous: Well hell, I’ll take the endless supply of plushes and stuff. It keeps the series alive, and like I’ve been saying, other video game series, even those that are alive and well, don’t seem to get half the merchandise produced that MOTHER does, so yeah, let’s be thankful.

And another thing… *continues to rant while being escorted out of the building by Mato’s Security Force*

yetikirby said on Jul. 10, 2010

I want one!

Daniel B. said on Jul. 10, 2010

That. Is so. Adorable.

@LucasTizma: Agreed. MOTHER is that one-of-a-kind series that remains popular even when there’s nothing going on regarding another game/rerelease.

JoeWuzHere said on Jul. 14, 2010

STICKERS
THEY GET THEM FOR FREE
WE HAVE TO PAY $100+ TO IMPORT

Mrakken said on Jul. 17, 2010

BYAH! ADORABLE! Myahahahaha, so I’m surprised. My Chemical Romance is still popular in Japan? Also… Arcades! That’s a real Arcade! Like we used to have in America in the 80’s! I wish America still had arcades.