June 3rd, 2010 | Auctions, Merchandise

I haven’t been able to do the weekly round-ups for a while now, so I’ve gotten a lot of news submissions about cool EarthBound merch people have found online. I’ll do these Swag Watches once in a while to keep people informed, though in general the automated eBay thing I wrote should catch a lot of this stuff.

First up is another of those EarthBound display cards, also commonly called “vidpros”:

There were a couple of these for sale a few months back, and they sold real quick. I don’t know if this is from the same seller or what, maybe some of the internet detectives here can check it out and see if it’s legit. If it is, this is definitely a good addition to a serious collection!

Next up is a Mach Pizza air freshener:

According to my records, these sell for about $40-$80 on average, so the asking price for this one is a little crazy. But these ARE pretty rare and will only get rarer, so this is a chance to get one if you’re starting a collection. To this day I don’t know why I didn’t enter that contest, I could’ve gotten one of these for free. Oh well.

Lastly, the new Mr. Saturn and Master Belch plushes have started to show up on Yahoo Auctions Japan:

I have no idea what they’ll sell for when they hit eBay. Any guesses? It’ll be interesting to see, hopefully it’s not too much. If they’re cheap enough I might just get myself a Belch one, got enough Mr. Saturn stuff as it is 😛

Update: More Belches and Mr. Saturns are up for auction now. See here.

27 Comments to Swag Watch: June 3, 2010

Umbreonic said on Jun. 3, 2010

Normally you remove two zeroes to go from Yen to dollars, so I’d say probably around $50 for Saturn and Belch.

KingDarian said on Jun. 3, 2010

I noticed that Geppu/Doseisan auction yesterday, but was a little skeptical because it featured a stock photo and a crazy price. I’m hoping for something more reasonable with a little more legitimacy before I bite.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 4, 2010

Do you think that plush auction is legit? Like are they available now, or is this guy just positive he’ll be able to win them?

Andy said on Jun. 4, 2010

i just want the plushes

Lothis said on Jun. 4, 2010

I can’t justify paying $50 for a piece of cardboard, even though other pieces of cardboard went for far more… I would like those plushes though.

KingDarian said on Jun. 4, 2010
neonix said on Jun. 4, 2010

100 yen to $1 is a rough rule of thumb, but it’s not so accurate these days. With the weak USD, I’ve certainly seen the conversion rate as low as 85 yen to a dollar last year. But on average it’s been around 90 to a dollar.

I mention this because it’s very easy to overspend if you don’t be careful.

If you’re importing collectibles from Japan on YJA and such, I definitely recommend not using any estimates and getting your numbers calculated as exact as you can. With middleman services and fees that you don’t recognize at first, it’s REALLY easy to see “5000 yen, ok $50 give or take with fees” and then realize you spent $90 or more with fees and shipping. I’ve done it in the past.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 4, 2010

Wheee! I hope I can snag a couple of each. Thanks for the heads up, KD.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 4, 2010

Mato, if I happen to snag more than one Belch and you can’t get your hands on one, I’ll send one your way. 😀 Everyone deserves at least one ゲップー in their life. Ha ha.

KingDarian said on Jun. 4, 2010

Just don’t buy ’em all, LT. I have my hopes on winning this auction without paying a crazy sum of money.

[…] link Permalink […]

Chosen4 said on Jun. 4, 2010

you know all these promotions of the mother series that have been happening lately could be indicating something big happening for the series in Japan

LucasTizma said on Jun. 4, 2010

KD, I think I definitely bid on that one through Celga already. :-\ Only up to 5000, so if you outbid me, I won’t raise my max.

I’m pretty much going to go for at least one of every new piece of MOTHER merchandise released, MAYBE two. I definitely am not going to hoard anything, especially if they’re in limited quantity on YAJ or Mbok.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 4, 2010

Never mind, I’m bidding on another set from the same seller. You should be okay. 🙂

KingDarian said on Jun. 4, 2010

🙁 Well, someone already outbid what I planned on paying. I’m not doling out $50+ for these things.

Antiprattler said on Jun. 4, 2010

It’s kind of funny what turns out to be really rare and sell for a lot. I’d probably never have guessed 20 years ago that a pizza air freshener would get to be so expensive lol.

scithe said on Jun. 4, 2010

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks for choosing my item for your post (the Vidpro card). I thought they were really cool collectibles to have. The pizza scented air freshener is really cool too!

Thanks,

Nicholas

Acedio said on Jun. 6, 2010

I picked up two Mr. Saturns at the Namco Tower in Kyoto today. You can pay 500 yen (~$5) for 6 plays, and both times I did this I got it on the 6th try! Pretty excellent. They were in a “Barber Shop” game where you control a pair of scissors (like a crane) and try to cut a piece of string that is holding the Saturn’s up. They only had Doseisans, but I’ll keep my eye out for Geppu while I’m still here. I’m crossing my fingers!

Awesome bonus: The Banpresto guys were out front of the arcade with a guy in a giant Mr. Saturn suit. I got a sheet of stickers, too! Should I send pictures, Mato?

Mato said on Jun. 6, 2010

Yeah, sounds good to me 😀

blahblah said on Jun. 6, 2010

Like all EB merchendise, this’ll probably be over $100 in Ebay. Those mr. Saturn plushies are expensive already. So myfinal guess on how much these would be on ebay……………$100-$250.

KingDarian said on Jun. 7, 2010

They’ve hit eBay

BTW, did anyone here snag that Geppu/Doseisan pair on Yahoo! Japan for 4000yen? I see a Celga account bought it up. I was eying that one.

whurz said on Jun. 9, 2010

Nope but just picked up a buy it now auction for 3800 😛

Derrek said on Jun. 9, 2010

am i able to buy the belch off yahoo japan? i cant read of it to know

whurz said on Jun. 9, 2010

yes you can but you need to place your bid through a third party like celga

Derrek said on Jun. 10, 2010