June 15th, 2010 | MOTHER 3, Videos

In the past, I mentioned that an upcoming game called “A Kappa’s Trail” for the DSi had some MOTHER 3 references (see here). Well, the game was finally released the other day, and almost immediately people started sending me e-mails about how the Pigmask mask on the title screen had a surprise of some sort. Not having a DSi, I was left out in the cold about what everyone was talking about.

Luckily, Catson was kind enough to make a video of the game – and apparently you actually get to play as a Pigmask in the game for a short while!

I’m guessing you only play as it during an intro part or something, but still, it’s a really neat addition.

Are there any more MOTHER 3-related things in this game? If you find anything, let us know in the comments!

26 Comments to Playable Pigmask in Kappa’s Trail

Ninji said on Jun. 15, 2010

This looks awesome! I might get “A Kappa’s Trail” for DSi-Ware, if it proves to be good 😀

MG said on Jun. 15, 2010

Man, now I REALLY want this. Hm…my birthday’s coming up. Hopefully I’ll get some DSi points from someone.

Deraj626 said on Jun. 16, 2010

@MG
I’m in the same situation as you.

Ness said on Jun. 16, 2010

Hhhmm…… is Itoi part of this game?

Poe said on Jun. 16, 2010

Ness – it was made by Brownie Brown, the people who worked on MOTHER 3.

neonix said on Jun. 16, 2010

Tiny little things like this are just so great 8)

I still won’t get a DSi though. My DS lite is perfect until the 3DS hits retail.

PK Saturn said on Jun. 16, 2010

I’m sticking with my old, ordinary, gray DS. My first DS broke because I played it so much, and the DS Lite and DSi are essentially downgrades (for multiple reasons) so I got another one off of ebay.
I was tempted to get a DSi, but now I’m glad I didn’t because the 3DS has the DSi shop channel (or whatever it’s called)

neonix said on Jun. 16, 2010

I see no way the DS lite was a downgrade. The look, feel, and portability were all improved. The screens are much clearer and brighter with adjustable brightness. The power switch was also a nice change (still upset they reverted back to the flimsy power button). The DSi is debatable; I personally think it provides some new software features, but is a downgrade mainly because it has no GBA slot.

Anyway, we can all agree the 3DS is where it’s at! That thing in blue and black looks awesome, can’t wait to get me grimy hands on it!

Ginrei said on Jun. 16, 2010

That bubble noise sounds kind of Mother 3-ish too, doesn’t it?

random guardian said on Jun. 16, 2010

When the pigmask-like thing said the word eddy I instantly thought Master Eddy 🙂

Omnomnominous said on Jun. 16, 2010

@random guardian
Oh, you too? Glad I’m not going crazy. XD

Starstormer said on Jun. 16, 2010

No way, I didn’t know it was playable. I wonder how many people will get the reference, well besides us.`

Chosen4 said on Jun. 16, 2010

I dont know how to get it in the begining

Chosen4 said on Jun. 16, 2010

nevermind i got it

@Deraj626: said on Jun. 17, 2010

I can have as many points as i want, but that won’t help me get it as its NOT RELEASED IN DAMN EUROPE! ):<

Anybody knows how to fool a Dsi to make it think its American?

ravenumbreon said on Jun. 19, 2010

Well I do like Pigmasks.
But I don’t have DSi

Yoshiboy64 said on Jun. 19, 2010

I got this game last night and its kinda fun i got the pig mask helmet and the octopus guy and i think you only get the pigmast second run though or something becuse that text that chumfish says is only at the beging of the game. I mean the game is about a mythacal fish creacher who wants to become a human

solidbread said on Jun. 20, 2010

yoshiboy, you can it actually get any time in the game, but it will happen only once a day

Anonymous said on Jun. 21, 2010

don’t get this game it’s gameplay is bad the music makes you want to rip your ears off!

Catson said on Jun. 27, 2010

The music is actually pretty great. And the gameplay is like puzzle-action-strategy, so it’s totally fun if you like any (or all three) of those genres.

~FireEmblem~ said on Jun. 30, 2010

There’s also that mer-guy from Mother 3…well, I never played Mother 3, but my brother did and he also played A Kappa’s Trail. So I’ll believe him when he says that the mer-guy is from Mother 3. Apparently he kisses Lucas to give him oxygen…xD

aipe said on Jul. 2, 2010

I got this game a few days ago and from messing around I found this. If you swim into the giant clam shell at the bottom of the screen it might turn you into something else. One thing is of course the Pigmask, but I have also changed into something that resembles a Clayman and something that looks like a masked wrestler.

Anonymous said on Jul. 8, 2010

if you eat the little red fish in kappa cove they will make something appear like a sea turtle or ocho the taxi octopus or even a pig mask helmet with some sea life on it!

Colonel X said on Sep. 29, 2010

This made me go WTF Seriously WTF

Anonymous said on Jan. 15, 2011

you can also get a gingerbread-like thing

Uniracersrules said on Aug. 8, 2011

@Anonymous (above me)
it’s Putty from Magical Starsign. You can also play as the Japan only Captain Rainbow