RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

June 11th, 2010 | MOTHER 3, Videos

Ross sent this in a little while back. We’ve seen some speed runs of MOTHER 3 before, but I think this is the fastest one so far. Just in case it’s not obvious, this is a tool-assisted speedrun, so it’s more like how the game would be played by a superhuman or someone who’s really, really, really good at games.

This is currently the longest gaming or tool assisted video on youtube. people are astounded by the fact that it’s six hours of tas in one video. It’s 342 minutes missing from the first tool assisted post.

More than anything, I’m amazed that the translation patch holds up that well to a TAS like this. TASs push game code to its limit, so it’s good to see the game is still playable even in situations like this 😀

27 Comments to MOTHER 3 in Under Six Hours

MG said on Jun. 11, 2010

Wow. Can’t wait to find time to watch this. Good thing summer’s coming up.

MarioFan3 said on Jun. 11, 2010

6 hours? Just a 6? Holy cow, I struggle to keep my playthrough time under 26 hours let alone 6. Damn, is that really how much time I spend wandering around?

@MG:
Heh Summer… I almost roasted last Christmas because of that (just so you don’t get confused, Australia has the seasons are the other way to America, we’re getting snow up in the mountains right now)

P Philosophy said on Jun. 12, 2010

Speed runs are always the best to watch. Just when you think you’ve seen the fastest run for a game another one comes by and beats that time. I’ll be sure to watch this soon! Looks interesting…

Batandy said on Jun. 12, 2010

i can’t believe it….
thw whole game in a 6 hours video.
Epic.

PK Saturn said on Jun. 12, 2010

I don’t really care for TAS runs just because they are TAS. For me, there is very little difference b/w TAS runs and “cheat runs” viz. teleporting to the end of the game with 99 stats and killing the final boss in under 10 minutes. Either way, you’re cheating. I prefer real no-cheat runs or runs that abuse a glitch in the original version of the game (e.g. the breadcrumb glitch run of Mother)

JamesBond007 said on Jun. 12, 2010

Let’s make a class-action lawsuit against YouTube. I think they are discriminating people registered from Jan. 1 2007, because they cannot upload videos longer that 11 minutes, even on Director account (YouTube says 10, but is acually 11).

Darien said on Jun. 12, 2010

Turns out you can’t sue somebody just for doing something you don’t like.

Ginrei said on Jun. 12, 2010

Whenever I hear of TAS, I always think of this Duck Hunt parody: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936443
“The player is using a Game Genie!”
“We’ve dealt with that before.”
“Yeah, but he’s also got the gun right up to the screen!”
“He’s got the–! Aah, @%*! The game just started!!”

MarioFan3 said on Jun. 12, 2010

Haha, yeah that was hilarious! 😀

blahmoomoo said on Jun. 12, 2010

PK Saturn: I haven’t watched this video, but I think that Mother 3 is surprisingly robust. I haven’t heard anything about major glitches in the game. The only one I know of is that one map layering glitch that Mato pointed out in the past, but that doesn’t break the game at all. So this TAS is closer to a speed run, other than the luck manipulation in battles (though that just makes things a bit faster).

Hey Mato, just to let you know, this is the same TAS as the one you posted in the past: http://earthboundcentral.com/2010/04/mother-3-tool-assisted-speed-run/
This one just happens to be a single video instead of 35. The times are exactly the same; the titles of the two videos suggest slightly different times, but one of them is wrong.

Rhyselinn said on Jun. 12, 2010

College humor rocks. 😀 Awesome video, Ginrei!
As for the M3 playthrough, I haven’t watched that. I didn’t know youtube videos could be 6 hours long…

Ross Miller said on Jun. 13, 2010

The actual finish time is 5:42:22.3.

Chosen4 said on Jun. 13, 2010

This inspired me to do my own TAS end time 3 hours 23 minutes

Ross Miller said on Jun. 13, 2010

3 hours 23 minutes would be impossible unless heavy glitching/sequence breaking, heavy early leveling or new game +.

Starstormer said on Jun. 13, 2010

As cool as it is to watch I don’t think I would like doing a speedrun. The game loses something for me when I rush through it. I haven’t done any TAS speedruns but I think it wouldn’t be as enjoyable playing especially for an RPG.

sg_06 said on Jun. 14, 2010

mato: do you have any ideas of what /might/ break when TAS-ing through the patched game?

Kirby Phelps (PK) said on Jun. 14, 2010

I’m a little confused. Exactly what is a TAS speedrun? Is it just a speedrun that abuses glitches?

blahmoomoo said on Jun. 14, 2010

That’ll explain everything you need to know about Tool Assisted Speedruns.

This run hasn’t been submitted to TASVideos, by the way. Some people on the forum would like to see it submitted, but that’s really up to the original author.

rcmero said on Jun. 14, 2010

@Kirby Phelps: TAS = Tool Assisted Speedrun.
It is basically a computer-generated speedrun, as in the computer’s playing the game.

Ross Miller said on Jun. 14, 2010

@rcmero a computer doesn’t play the game. I kind of take offense since a computer didn’t spend 2 months+ on this. get your tas facts straight.

Ross Miller said on Jun. 14, 2010

There’s one huge encoding error I just noticed. At the beginning of Chapter 4 right before Lucas goes in the tunnel there is one screen missing. I haven’t the foggiest what happened but I will make sure it doesn’t happen next time. It technically should be 10 seconds longer.

PKSTARMAN said on Jun. 14, 2010

Holy Kraps!
This is the longest video I’ve ever seen in my whole life! But seriously, I can’t believe it is posible to complete MOTHER 3 in under 6 hours. Maybe a Guinnes World record…?

Ross Miller said on Jun. 14, 2010

I don’t think there are Guiness World records for tas runs.

blahmoomoo said on Jun. 14, 2010

Only speedruns.

Dark Kirby63 said on Dec. 7, 2010

I can beat this game in 5 hours webnations!

Dark Kirby63 said on Dec. 7, 2010

And also i noticed this is more than 6 hours!
it is 6 hours and 5 minutes you liar!

Ross Miller said on Dec. 30, 2010

Exclude the ending and you have 5 hours and 42 minutes.