MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

June 7th, 2010 | EarthBound, Merchandise

Been a lot of news about those new MOTHER 2 plushes in Japanese arcades lately, and here’s another. Both Chewy and Izumi visited different arcades there and got some pictures and information for us!

First up is Chewy’s detailed report. It’s full of details as always and lots of informative pics. It sounds like the arcade she visited made it especially tough to win stuff πŸ™

Next is Izumi’s report. She got a lot of pics and a few videos. Here’s what she says:

I went to the event in Kyoto this weekend (the next stop on Saturnzilla’s tour) and I took a few pictures and videos including some of it in action.

The girl at the arcade said there -was- actually someone inside of it. It was out for 20 minutes at a time, and made 4 appearances per day on Saturday and Sunday.

So someone actually has to get in that thing? Weird :O

Here are some photos she took from the event at the arcade in Kyoto:

And here are some videos!

Thanks for the info and media guys!

As mentioned before, you can find these all over Yahoo Auctions Japan now, and they’ve even started to show up on eBay. They’re around for a limited time only, I think some new MOTHER 2 stuff is going to replace it soon probably.

31 Comments to Master Belch and Mr. Saturn Details

MG said on Jun. 7, 2010

That first picture: how DO you win something from that? Stuff like this sometimes makes me wish I was Japanese and could freely commute from there and here. Oh well, Chinese is good enough.

Leirin said on Jun. 7, 2010

It may not be my country, but there’s something thrilling about seeing EB stuff on store shelves again.

Onion said on Jun. 7, 2010

OMFG at that poster in the back of the claw machine! I’d kill to have that thing!

Tetra said on Jun. 7, 2010

Okay, am I hearing this wrong? Is there someone actually inside of the giant Mr. Saturn…?

Oh, and I like the guy dressed as Duster! πŸ˜€

EBP said on Jun. 8, 2010

DO WANT! and I plan on it next month.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 8, 2010

Whee! I may not have them in hand, but they’re sitting in Celga’s dungeon waiting for me to pay for their rescue eventually. ^_^

Derrek said on Jun. 8, 2010

why cant we get another seller who has a shipment of these things? It was so much easier than battling over a blob on ebay

LucasTizma said on Jun. 8, 2010

Ack, yeah, I want all those stickers and posters and stuff! I wonder if Itoi requests that 3 of every item that is produced be sent to him so he can keep them. I know I would if I created something so awesome!

neonix said on Jun. 8, 2010

Onion, man, I was about to make the same comment.

I had the same reaction when I saw that poster. I REALLY want one of those. Something about it is very appealing.

It’s too bad pretty much none of the posters and materials from these claw games EVER show up. I think these arcade owners either horde them, or more likely… *cringe* crumple them up and throw them away when the promotion is over.. :'(

Chewy said on Jun. 8, 2010

The arcade employees undoubtedly hoard them. They did, after all, apply to work at an arcade.

That’s so bizarre though. I thought I remembered specifically hearing that big Mr. Saturn is electronic. How did the person walk forward in the Itoi youtube video when the thing’s only big enough to curl up in a ball inside? Oh, as if Mr. Saturns weren’t mysterious enough already..!

Seriously though OMG IZUMI I’M COMING TO YOUR ARCADE i want to break the glass off mine’s :'(

Acedio said on Jun. 8, 2010

Awww, Chewy beatγ€€me to sending in Kyoto pictures and videos! My video was super short, anyway. We must have been there within a couple hours of each other. I didn’t see any Master Belch plushes there when I went, though. They were really stingy with the Geppus here at the Taito Station in Osaka as well, though I did actually see them. They had one per game, and it wasn’t actually reachable with the crane :'( You would have had to pull out several Saturns before it was freed from it’s Mt. Doseisan prison.

I was able to get two Saturns from Kyoto. Thankfully the “Barbershop” type game was fairly easy to win at. I ended up using 500 yen for each and freeing them on the final round in both 6 round games I played. Lucky!

Andy said on Jun. 8, 2010

I am the highest bider on both of them πŸ™‚

Satsy said on Jun. 8, 2010

Well since I’m missing out on this wave (partly through choice, partly because a monster ate my savings), all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that the next wave haven’t got such awkward ring machines like the one Chewy faced. πŸ˜‰

Dlakii said on Jun. 8, 2010

Heh, it’s almost like – regardless of outward appearance, which makes it all the more devious – Japan is also trying to get in on the act of making EarthBound stuff generally inaccessible. πŸ˜›

Kinda disappointed that Belch isn’t substantially larger than Mr. Saturn, though I guess that’s inevitable. I’m wondering, can the ball-and-chain be removed from the Mr. Saturn?

jeffy05 said on Jun. 8, 2010

Does anyone know if there are planned releases of other Mother 2 plushies? Like Ness, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Venus, Buzz Buzz, etc, etc…..?

mitsu said on Jun. 8, 2010

I guess Tokyo is more difficult then Kyoto.
Some people tried this machine,but,they paid over1000yen per 1Mr.Saturn.
Probably,they gave it up for about over3000 yen.

Izumi is lucky.

mitsu said on Jun. 8, 2010

I heard the doll of the character of Mother1&2 is planned in this summer.
maybe,I should learn the usage of eBay.

WhatsHerFace said on Jun. 8, 2010

HHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Agh! Stop teasing us Japan!

In any way, these are really cool! More than the items themselves I wish we had EVENTS like these in the US. ;A;

Wait, so is there someone inside it? But wasn’t it plugged into a wall in that first video of it with Itoi? I mean, even if there was someone in it, wouldn’t that be horribly awkward? I mean, would they just crawl around? And there’s nowhere to see from it!

DoseiSan said on Jun. 8, 2010

I am the man inside the Mr. Saturns.
Now the secret of my username is out.

[…] Direct link and more videos, screens and info here Permalink […]

J said on Jun. 8, 2010

The staff girl in the first video is wearing heels. Heels! She won’t be able to chase you down. Gaijin Smaaaash, Loot & Cheese it. (I’m kidding…. or am I?! No, I am.)

Eman: said on Jun. 9, 2010

Aw…….why is that only in Japan……

Churly said on Jun. 9, 2010

Ugh, why is this always in the news now? Plushes (ESPECIALLY the Mr. Saturn ones) are nothing that needs this much coverage.

neonix said on Jun. 9, 2010

Why are you complaining Churly? It’s not like space for EB news is at a premium or anything. Any news is nice news and the more the merrier. If you don’t care about it, you don’t have to pay attention to it. 😐

CMB said on Jun. 9, 2010

That man in the second pic…he is epic

Izumi said on Jun. 9, 2010

Acedio, I was the one who sent the Kyoto images. πŸ™‚ In there literally ALL day Saturday! I got there at 10 and left at 4, when they put away the big Saturn for the last time πŸ™‚ Plenty of Belches left when I headed back to Osaka…but they were supposedly gone the next day. πŸ™ Do you know of any Osakan arcades that still have Geppu? I called both Namcolands last night, and checked Kyoto Wonder Tower/Nijo/a-break/Rikojizo to no avail. :\

Chewy, I realized yesterday after hitting THREE more arcades in Kyoto looking for another Master Belch plush, that we had it totally easy with the scissors game at Wonder Tower. Gah. πŸ˜› Also, our big Saturn wasn’t plugged into the wall, so I asked an employee if there was someone inside, and they said “yes.” So maybe the setup depends on the arcade, or there are several big Saturns…

Acedio said on Jun. 10, 2010

Izumi, we had it SUPER easy with the barbershop game. Not only is it way easier than the crane game, it’s way cheaper (6 plays for 500 yen rather than 3 plays for 500 yen). I’m in Kobe now, just checking to see if there are any arcades here that have them.

Acedio said on Jun. 10, 2010

Just checked at the two places in Kobe and no dice on Geppu. There was one in the “Magical” building, but he was buried under a few Saturns. I really want one, but I leave Japan tomorrow :'( Ah well, I did get Doseisan so not all is lost πŸ™‚

Izumi said on Jun. 11, 2010

Acedio, great that you happened to be in Japan at a time like this! Thanks for the Kobe info. I guess I lucked out huge showing up when I did on Saturday, I managed to net two Belches in the barbershop game, hehe.

Mini said on Jun. 11, 2010

This is the best prize game I’ve ever seen! They really need to revive arcades in the US πŸ™

Matteomax said on Mar. 30, 2011

Dang it!!!!!! The prize game “Barber Cut” is in US!!!!!! I won a freakin Ipod Touch, Yet they have it in Japan with Mr.Saturn and Belch plushies?!?!?WTF!