June 13th, 2010 | EarthBound, Videos

A good while back a bunch of EarthBound fans got together and made a whole bunch of fonts based on fonts used in EarthBound.

Apparently the main font was cool enough to be used in a professional setting, as it showed up on an Adult Swim show some weeks back:

Have you seen the many EarthBound fonts used anywhere else? Who knows, maybe this could be the next Comic Sans 😛

Thanks to Adam and Derik for the tip!

52 Comments to EarthBound Font on Adult Swim

Greenzsx87 said on Jun. 13, 2010

Damn, Tim and Eric ASGJ is one of my favorite shows, and I missed that detail. I love this bit and it’s very surreal to see that font on national television!\

Great Job!

Chosen4 said on Jun. 14, 2010

worthless coment FTW

Anonymous said on Jun. 14, 2010

Man, I’m a bit dissapointed, they’re also ripping off this http://tane.us/

LucasTizma said on Jun. 14, 2010

LOL Funny clip.

But SERIOUSLY… WHAT THE **** is with the Windows 3.1 interface they’re pulling? Have they not seen a modern OS interface in 20 years?!

Anonymous said on Jun. 14, 2010

Did anyone notice the GUI on his computer is based on Windows 3.0?

Anonymous said on Jun. 14, 2010

oh nvm lol

Darkzzii said on Jun. 14, 2010

Wow… We are slowy taking over. Soon we will take xbox and ps3. Earthbound will be on xbox !!!!!!

rotschleim said on Jun. 14, 2010

…Was that supposed to be funny?

Kirby Phelps (PK) said on Jun. 14, 2010

I hate Tim and Eric, but the fact that Earthbound font was used on tv is amazing! 😀

Darkzzii said on Jun. 14, 2010

rotschleim said:
…Was that supposed to be funny?

Wahhh…. you made me cry!

rotschleim said on Jun. 14, 2010

I didn’t mean your comment, Darkzzi, I meant the clip of this Tim and Eric Show. I didn’t find it funny at all.

Lola said on Jun. 14, 2010

I don’t watch the show (and I’m once again reminded why I don’t), but it’s still very cool to see the font in a real TV show that a lot of people watch. I wonder if the people that picked out the font have actually played EB, or if they just found it someplace and thought it was neat?

PK Saturn said on Jun. 14, 2010

Wow. This is the crap that comes on TV nowadays? This isn’t funny, its STUPID.

honeymustard said on Jun. 14, 2010

The ambient sound at the start (computers whirring) is from Team Fortress 2. Don’t know if its royalty free, but it could make sense, seeing as the EB font was used.

neonix said on Jun. 14, 2010

If you don’t like Tim and Eric, you just don’t have the same weird sense of humor for it. It’s a 15-minute show that comes on late at night on one of hundreds of cable channels. It’s not on at any prime time hours, so you can’t complain about it being “the crap that comes on TV nowadays.”

Besides, the show is meant to be STUPID, campy, cheesy and dumb, and a parody of many things. That’s what makes it funny. If you disagree, then it’s just not your sense of humor. But your opinion doesn’t make it an awful show. Time and Eric had 5 seasons and was only ended so the team could work on their new show, which started airing last month. That means people are definitely tuning in and like the show. Fact is fact.

Anyway, it’s cool to see them use the font, etc. Like everyone else has said. That means there’s a fan in there somewhere. 😀

Poe said on Jun. 14, 2010

Like Lola, I too am wondering how they found that font. Are the fonts hosted anywhere besides here and Starmen.Net? Either way, pretty neat catch.

Zaxtur said on Jun. 14, 2010

I love Tim & Eric and I watched this episode when it first aired. I can’t believe I missed the EB font. The fact that it uses the name “Paul” helps make it really easy to identify because of how many times I’ve seen the name “Paula” spelled out in that exact same font.

darkzzii said on Jun. 14, 2010

um that didnt make me cry… dont use my name. get your own. i did not say that made me cry. get your own name.

Andy said on Jun. 14, 2010

Cool.

random guardian said on Jun. 14, 2010

#1-WTF!
#2-Paul is dangerously close to Paula…so,yeaaa…

Staarf said on Jun. 14, 2010

Freaky, considering I always named Jeff, “Paul”.

PKSTARMAN said on Jun. 14, 2010

Oh man! I laughed so hard I cried! However, this si interisiting information. Who would ever imagine that the EarthBound font was kind of professional.

LakituAl said on Jun. 14, 2010

I do not think it will be the next Comic Sans, because CS is hated by 75% percent of the people, including its creator itself!

Dlakii said on Jun. 14, 2010

…What in the name of Mani-Mani did I just watch?

Ninji said on Jun. 14, 2010

Nice! 😀 But, the Tim and Eric show isn’t really comparable to what adult swim airs, or at least USED to air! (Shin-chan+ MOTHER reference *nudge-nudge-wink-wink*) But, this is cool that the EarthBound font is now somewhat professional!

Greiv said on Jun. 14, 2010

This is so awesome! Tim & Eric is one of the most trippiest shows ever, its’ hilarity and brilliance is truly unexplainable, love it. Nice find, wonder how the editors stumbled upon this font.

TGP said on Jun. 14, 2010

…Sweet, although I’m somehow not surprised by this since perhaps the special effects developer was an Earthbound fan and just thought nobody would notice if he used the font, which is a pretty likely scenario. Otherwise that’s a pretty freaky coincidence. Reminds me of the naming screen because of the blue background and the black behind the text.

I could have sworn I’ve seen the Earthbound font being used in public before, but I completely forgot. This just refreshed my memory of it. Dang it…

Vonyco said on Jun. 14, 2010

XD Tim and Eric is great, one of my favorite shows. Its sense of humor is perfect for me.

This is a great find. Never noticed the font my first 10 times watching the video.
Now I really feel like using the EarthBound font for something.

PS3D said on Jun. 14, 2010

Less impressed that they used the EarthBound font was the fact they used a “Macintosh II” startup sound.

TGP said on Jun. 15, 2010

Oh, I remembered another thing, the font is also listed on a few “free font” sites. I was looking for the CheapSign font there and instead I found OrangeKid, which I immediately recognized as the Earthbound font. I thought it was called Apple Kid in the .zip here, though… Odd.

That’s probably where they got it.
Oh yeah, and the site was in sections. It was listed under “pixels”.
They chose it out of all those fonts. I don’t blame them.

They probably have no idea what it’s from.

TBird said on Jun. 15, 2010

Tim & Eric…they’re funny sometimes. I love their Absolut Vodka ads. It took me some time to “get” the show. It’s hit or miss, but the show is willing to try anything. The Jim & Derric MTV/G4 parody episode is one of the best things I’ve seen on cable television ever. I’m not even kidding.

Poe said on Jun. 15, 2010

TGP – Orange Kid is the font that was made over 10 years ago and it doesn’t exactly match the font found in EarthBound. Apple Kid is the more recent font that fixes the mistakes in Orange Kid and looks exactly like the font used in EB.

NeonSquid said on Jun. 15, 2010

Oh ****! That’s Paul Rudd!

Anonymous said on Jun. 15, 2010

I totally noticed this…

Starstormer said on Jun. 15, 2010

It looks very similar but I think its just a coincidence.

jeffy05 said on Jun. 15, 2010

i bought season 1 of tim and eric awesome show.
and i turned it off about 10 minutes into it. hated it. sold it.

SamWibatt said on Jun. 15, 2010

I have only watched enough Tim & Eric to see that they have exactly one joke: HAW HAW HE’S ACTING GAY! If there’s more than that, they buried it pretty deep.

hytone said on Jun. 16, 2010

Sam, you clearly haven’t watched T&E, then.

Mr. Crosser said on Jun. 16, 2010

I actually use the Apple Kid font on some of my school papers…

Kysafen said on Jun. 17, 2010

“Nude Tayne.”

John said on Jun. 19, 2010

I guess I’m in the minority, but I found that pretty funny.

The Great Morgil said on Jun. 25, 2010

First of all, I hate that show with a passion. Second, the clip is gone so i can’t see it. Which font was it?

anonymous said on Jul. 3, 2010

can someone host the clip somewhere OTHER than youtube? i’d like to see it, but they removed it

motherman said on Jul. 3, 2010

not there…but ooh,annoying orange!

Poe said on Jul. 4, 2010

Morgil – it was the main font used all throughout the game in the text boxes.

rogueofmv said on Jul. 10, 2010

Now TAYNE, I can get into.

James said on Jul. 13, 2010

Since Cartoon Network is being really dumb, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giCUHdsq7mU

Anonymous said on Aug. 6, 2010

****, video got removed cause of copyright 🙁

FuzzyPicklez said on Aug. 8, 2010

The font is also on the ad for Cladun: This is an RPG. It’s a PSP game by Nippon Ichi.

Dark Kirby said on Mar. 11, 2011

First,what in the name of Omelets is
The Tim And Eric Show.

Secondly,WHY DID THEY PUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT ON TV!
Adult swim should get sued!

Dark Kirby said on Mar. 11, 2011

sorry for being that a… sorry
it happened again.

if you press Dark Kirby there will be a link
to google.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 2, 2011

Adult Swim isn’t the only thing that is having refrences to Earthbound. I’ve heard two refrences on Cartoonnetwork that I have said in other comments.

Find Merchandise!