MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

June 29th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images

Over the last few weeks a couple people have e-mailed me about Scott Pilgrim-related EarthBound stuff. The movie’s coming out sometime soon too, so I guess people are really hyped up about it lately.

Anyway, here’s one that talks about the “Chaos Theatre”.

Normally, I’d chalk that up to coincidence, but it’s clear there’s EarthBound/MOTHER fandom involved:

Neat!

Not exactly related, but there’s also a site where you can make your own characters, so
KingDarian made one based on Ness:

Thanks to Chimera, KingDarian, and ozwalled for the tips/pics!

37 Comments to EarthBound and Scott Pilgrim

Chimera said on Jun. 29, 2010

Yayz, I was hoping that would be discussed

Starstormer said on Jun. 29, 2010

This almost feels like a game where’s Mother, since we’ve been able to find it referenced so many times.

rotschleim said on Jun. 30, 2010

Scott who in the what now?

neonix said on Jun. 30, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a series of graphic novels which have been adapted into a film that will be released soon starring the awkward Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim.

I know someone who recently bought the whole series of books and keeps telling me to get them. If the artists are EB fans, then I might just consider it…

SoopaKoopa said on Jun. 30, 2010

I love Scott Pilgrim! The novels are loaded with Nintendo references. For example Scott’s the Bassist for the band “Sex Bob-omb”.

WhatsHerFace said on Jun. 30, 2010

I NEVER NOTICED THE MOTHER 2 SHIRT! What volume is that in?!

asdf said on Jun. 30, 2010

@WhatsHerFace:
I’m not completely sure, but I think it shows up in volume 4? I remember it’s the scene where Wallace tells scott that he’s already purchased an apartment with his boyfriend.

[…] Check out more here Permalink […]

Ninji said on Jun. 30, 2010

F**K YEAH!!! Scott Pilgrim PWNS!… I know I’m acting rational, but Scott Pilgrim is like, my most favorite comic series ever (I would call it manga, but it’s got Americanized artwork, and it’s way too American to be perceived as Japanese property.) Also, I’m excited about the movie, I wonder if the EB referenced stuff will remain in it *fingers crossed* πŸ˜›

Shyamalan said on Jun. 30, 2010

Is there a place to read Scott Pilgrim online?

[…] Check out more here […]

Bobert said on Jun. 30, 2010

Scott Pilgrim is completely awesome, and not just because it’s chock full of references to 80’s and 90’s video games.

@Shyamalan:
No (well, not legally), but the official website has a previews section. There you can also read the 15-page Free Comic Book Day special, which is a pretty good representation of the series as a whole. http://scottpilgrim.com/inside.php?id=previews

JoeShmoe said on Jun. 30, 2010

Oh, very interesting… Never heard of the guy (or his comics) until the announcement of the movie, the movie itself looking rather intriguing.
Guess I’ll have to give his series a whirl, then.

Izumi said on Jun. 30, 2010

“it’s way too American to be perceived as Japanese property”

You mean, “it’s way too Canadian” ;D

Alpha Knight is too lazy to log in said on Jun. 30, 2010

The second pic is from volume 4, page 197.
The previous page also has the same shirt but it is not as readable (it’s zoomed out more so there is less detail)

Chrissii (too lazy to login) said on Jul. 1, 2010

Heh, I adore Scott Pilgrim. I encourage anybody with an ounce of geek in them (so presumably, all of you) to read the comics, and thus see the movie when it comes out πŸ™‚

The avatar I made was Earthbound-themed, too:

…and I can’t believe I didn’t bring up the M2 shirt to anyone sooner. I *squee*’d when I saw it forever ago. πŸ™‚

effigy of starman said on Jul. 1, 2010

Oh wow, I’ve looked at the comics before and decided not to read them, but this might just change my mind…

Animagess said on Jul. 1, 2010

I hope Edgar Wright put the Mother shirt into the movie. That, and the Honest Ed scene, is all that will be required for my happiness.

NeonSquid said on Jul. 1, 2010

I saw the preview for that when I went to see “Get Him to the Greek”. It looked kinda meh, but now I might go see it if it has some Earthbound references in it >_>

MoonSide said on Jul. 1, 2010

Umm..maybe I’ve been sticking my nose too much into manga because I’ve never seen it but, I live in the middle of nowhere.
So, what is it about and when is it coming out in theaters?

freakyboy05 said on Jul. 1, 2010

lol, i noticed the Mother 2 shirt today while reading it on the bathroom since I bought it yesterday, but i hadn’t noticed the Chaos Theatre bit πŸ˜›

Chimera said on Jul. 1, 2010

@moonside
It’s about an average gamer who lives with his gay roommate and he gets a girlfriend named Ramona who has seven evil exes. Scott must fight them in order to properly go out with her. It’s full of video game references so full of them, in fact, that you won’t be able to spot all of them just one time through. It comes out in theaters on August 13.

@freakyboy
Yeah, it was easily overlooked, I just barely noticed it while I was reading through it. The author is very good about hiding references.

Anonymous said on Jul. 2, 2010

There was an article about Scott pilgrim recently where Shigesato Miyamato allowed the use of Zelda music for the movie.

NeonSquid said on Jul. 2, 2010

I bet it’ll be the Zelda Discovery Music >_>

Chrissii (Still too lazy to login) said on Jul. 2, 2010

“Shigesato Miyamoto” XD

random guardian said on Jul. 2, 2010

despite this freaky guy named Shigesato Miyamoto using his music in the movie I am so going to see it.

Ricardo said on Jul. 2, 2010

Shigesato Miyamoto…

Bobert said on Jul. 4, 2010

@NeonSquid: Actually, I’ve heard it’s the fairy fountain/file select music.

Earthbound Wisher said on Jul. 7, 2010

where can I find these comics?! I love it when books and movies reference REAL video games.

destructive cactus said on Jul. 9, 2010

you can find the comics on amazon.com. I am not sure of any better place to order them.

Cap Blackard said on Jul. 14, 2010

The Chaos theater actually becomes a major part of the conclusion in volume 6 when one opens up in Scott’s neighborhood. Pretty sweet. No EB references past the name though, the exterior is different.

chosen4 said on Aug. 1, 2010

@earthbound wisher you can find the books in the manga section at any books a million or barnes and nobles store

darkzzii said on Aug. 13, 2010

kinda dissapointed. just saw the movie it was great but only had the Chaos Theatre as a cameo….

FinalstarmanDX said on Aug. 14, 2010

@darkzzii it’s probably due to copyright restraints or something like that you didn’t see a Mother 2 shirt

Beam said on Aug. 14, 2010

You can’t really trust that a movie based on a series to be exactly the same

Example: The Last Airbender, that movie was NOTHING like the animated series, it looks like the director just axed the series and wrote his name all over it.

Tetra said on Sep. 12, 2010

I actually met the author of Scott Pilgrim at Comiccon and we talked about how we both love EarthBound. (: It was amazing.

Christie said on Jul. 15, 2011

I just re-watched this movie today and squeed (again) when I heard mention of the Chaos theatre.