Random Post:

EarthBound Zero Remake

June 23rd, 2010 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

I posted last year about a Japanese baseball chant taken straight from MOTHER 2’s music. It’s very strange and hard to explain, but basically players get cheer songs made for them that the fans and everyone else shout out during games.

Anyway, the chant I posted before was for a guy a good while back. it’s since been passed on to another guy named Takahiro Imanami:

It’s basically the same lyrics as before but with the new guy’s name. It’s still cool (and somehow strange) to hear this classic video game tune being used in this sort of way 😀

22 Comments to EarthBound and Baseball, Again

MG said on Jun. 23, 2010

I think it worked a little better with Furuki, since now they squeeze 4 syllables into 3 subdivisions.

Chatetris said on Jun. 24, 2010

haha funny my name is Chant, haha weird….

LucasTizma said on Jun. 24, 2010

So cool. I wish I lived in Japan, just to discover the little MOTHER treasures here and there. 🙂

neonix said on Jun. 24, 2010

Awesome.

PK Saturn said on Jun. 24, 2010

I don’t hear any Mother 2 music

Kyoo said on Jun. 24, 2010

am I the only one noticing that Mother is so big in Japan that people over there integrate the game into their everyday life, it’s almost seemingly Spiritual over there (so it seems). it makes me wonder, is that how it would be in the USA if it wasn’t for poor marketing? I mean too me, I admit the game is almost spiritual for me. I have no religion, but the game earthbound, I use it much like a bible 😛

(join the earthbound cult http://starmen.net/cult/ )

Gaki said on Jun. 24, 2010

I dunno, I think Japan has a lot more insane people.

Omnomnominous said on Jun. 24, 2010

@PK Saturn
It’s the Eight Melodies!(The Earthbound version, not the EB Zero one)

Robert said on Jun. 24, 2010

Hey guys, does anyone remember the Mother 1 translation? Whatever happened to that, eh?

LucasTizma said on Jun. 24, 2010

Uh, from the first picture in the EarthBound cult link:

WHY hasn’t Fangamer made Mato plushies?! Brilliant idea?!

Omnomnominous said on Jun. 24, 2010

@Robert

I know – it would be a shame if it’s been canceled. I’m assuming it’s just on hold though. I already have Mother 1+2 with the Mother 1 part near-fully translated, but a translation as high-quality as Mother 3’s would be appreciated greatly.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 24, 2010

To be honest, and Mato, please correct me…

Why isn’t something like a rewrite of the MOTHER 1 script as simple as taking the official translation and just sprucing it up? Yeah, I know it’s not as great as an actual re-translation of the original Japanese dialog, but even someone like me who has a pretty strong grasp of creative writing could take the very spartan script from the EB prototype and make it read/flow better.

Just curious… I’d love to take on my own take of the EB0 script, but I imagine professional translators might consider this heresy or something.

Mato said on Jun. 24, 2010

In translating it I’ve come to realize that there was a lot more censored/changed than most of us knew.

Plus I already did do a “smooth the prototype’s text to sound better” project a long time ago.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 24, 2010

Oh interesting. In that case, an uncensored translation would be really cool.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

PK Saturn said on Jun. 24, 2010

Oh I hear it now in the brass overtones near the end.

Roo said on Jun. 24, 2010

I love how in Japan video games are so ingrained in the culture that they can (apparently) easily transcend the boundaries between it and other forms of entertainment. I mean, I’ve seen a few marching bands in the US play Mario or Tetris tunes at halftime of a football game, but that’s nothing like this!

Anyway, thanks for passing this on, Mato. It’s fun to see.

LucasTizma said on Jun. 24, 2010

@PK Saturn: Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you didn’t immediately pick it up from, then I question your MOTHER 2 fan-ness. 😀

Nesskid said on Jun. 24, 2010

Japanese baseball is weird from what I understand it’s more like a pinball game based on baseball, with all sorts of fancy lights and whistles an buzzers.

R7038XX said on Jun. 24, 2010

Not on topic, but I was trying to find an article from some time ago about the path-following of the mach pizza guy, and I can’t find it. 🙁

Mato said on Jun. 24, 2010

Dunno if I made an article about it here, but the original research was here:

Kyoo said on Jun. 24, 2010

@LT, I was thinking the same things

Find Merchandise!