May 10th, 2010 | Itoi

Despite being in his 60s and admittedly only able to use computers for basic things like word processing, EarthBound creator Shigesato Itoi now has a Twitter account.

Of course, everything he types is in Japanese, so unless you’re a really diehard fan his posts are probably meaningless to most fans outside of Japan. I doubt he’ll talk about the MOTHER series much, if ever, since he almost never does on his website either. Still, since the word “MOTHER” really stands out in Japanese text, his Twitter messages could be a way to get really up-to-date news about the series if anything DOES happen.

This could also be a way for fans to try to talk to him directly, but there’s the whole language barrier thing and he’s probably too busy to reply to much. But it’s always worth a try 😛

I’ve also come to realize that Twitter in Japanese seems really weird to me – you can say a TON more in a short amount of space in Japanese, so it’s a lot different from how English Twitter posts sound.

32 Comments to Shigesato Itoi on Twitter

DoseiSan said on May. 10, 2010

Awesome! I don’t even follow Twitter very closely, but this one I will =)

MG said on May. 10, 2010

I abandoned my Twitter account, but I’m definitely gonna follow Shigesato. To google translate!

SmaMan said on May. 10, 2010

Hmm, never thought about how the Japanese get an unfair advantage on Twitter! Another reason for me to learn the language.

Kyoo said on May. 10, 2010

I’ve always found twitter to be pointless and a stupid waste of time. I could never find a good use for it. never found anyone worth following. but now that Itoi’s on twitter, I’m glad it exist.

Hejiru said on May. 10, 2010

I can’t read Japanese, but I followed him anyway, just to show support 🙂

Chas Guidry said on May. 10, 2010

Haha, Jeremy Parish once compalined on Twitter that it was unfair how Japanese allows people to say so much more in their tweets than sad, old English.

Derik said on May. 10, 2010

perhaps, mato, you could act as an intermediary between Itoi and the american fans

Vague Rant said on May. 11, 2010

I doubt Mato is at all interested in translating every single minor thought Itoi expresses over Twitter; Itoi has made 10 tweets in the last couple of hours.

In the meantime, here’s a Yahoo Pipe of his Twitter feed which machine translates it into English. Be warned, it’s mostly entirely illegible:

PK Saturn said on May. 11, 2010

What the heck? Itoi keeps talking about farts and “pu-pu”

Poe said on May. 11, 2010

Yeah I saw Kojima’s twitter the other day and I could tell he was saying a lot more with each tweet than we’re able to say in English. I was a little jealous, but maybe it’s better that way 😉

Ffish said on May. 11, 2010

Tried out Chrome’s auto-translate out of curiosity. I’m sort of regretting it, he’s obsessed with farting. 😐

Susan said on May. 11, 2010

Does anyone know what he’s working on lately? I mean, is he working on the Mother games or a whole new series of games?

Vague Rant said on May. 11, 2010

Itoi has repeatedly stated a lack of interest in working on any further Mother games, or any games in the foreseeable future. Keep in mind that it’s only in the west that he’s known as a game creator; he is moreso known in Japan for his writing and as a general TV personality. He has spent the vast majority of his life not making games, it is not unusual for him not to be working on any games at all at any given time.

That said, he has worked on a few small DSiWare apps which wouldn’t strictly be called games, but are about as close to them as he’s gotten.

[…] link Permalink […]

neonix said on May. 11, 2010

@Susan: Itoi has previously expressed his feelings about the MOTHER series and said he does not intend to make any further installments in the series. He did, however, welcome any fans to create sequels (an offer which has already been taken up – http://mother4.dcmsoftware.net/).

I can’t remember if he explicitly said he wasn’t going to work on any new games, but most of the fans believe it’s unlikely that he will, aside from the small app-like ‘games’ his company produces: that digital map of Japan, and his recent DSiWare “Hobonichi no Kenkou Techou” health notebook, and probably some more things in the future, since Itoi has said he really sees the potential that devices like the DS have for these sort of apps.

Mato said on May. 11, 2010

neonix: Careful, don’t twist his words. He never invited fans to make sequels. He said if someone came up to him and asked if they could make a sequel, he might be inclined to give permission. There’s a big difference.

LakituAl said on May. 11, 2010

I’m learning Japanese, and I’m kind of good at it. Yet, the only thing I suck at is Kanji. An his tweet has lots of them! Damn you Kanji! You’ll always be in my nightmares!

random guardian said on May. 11, 2010

The yahoo pipe translation hurts my eyes when I read it.
“Tonight riding, there is no [huji] series, broadcast only of [huji] being seems, the shank.”
I think I will be sticking to google translate.

Wafffo! said on May. 11, 2010

I’m joining Twitter now. Just for this.

neonix said on May. 11, 2010

Agh, I knew I’d get stung by someone for saying that so bluntly, and it had to be you Mato. 😛 I knew it wasn’t a full-out invitation, but I was being quick with my words. Thanks for clarifying. That’s actually a lot more specific than what I thought he said.

I can’t seem to find the original citation of him saying that. I thought I had read it in the subtitles of an interview video, but my memory may be incorrect.

Mato said on May. 11, 2010

It’s from this: http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_10.html and possibly another interview that I’ve only skimmed over.

Ga said on May. 11, 2010

So cool so cool

Ga said on May. 11, 2010

Hirokazu Tanaka-san’s there too! http://twitter.com/tanakahirokaz

Kyoo said on May. 12, 2010

I just realized that the Japanese can say a lot more on Twitter than people using English. (because they have Kanji) why doesn’t English have a shortened down version yet. and I don’t mean text speech like LMAO or gr8, I mean why don’t we have a language we learn in school that is an actual new form of English. it’s an open language meaning we could do it. I understand that there is shorthand. but nobody understand that… I mean look at this.
just looks like a bunch of garbage.

we need something equivalent to Kanji, but for, English and way less cryptic than shorthand.

LucasTizma said on May. 12, 2010

Japanese rules! 😀 I tweeted some rudimentary “Thank you for MOTHER” message to him. No reply yet. 🙁 I wonder if he actually is tired of people associating him with MOTHER…kinda like pigeon holing him? Still, I desperately wish he would continue the MOTHER series. :'(

Poe said on May. 12, 2010

I don’t think Itoi would check his @replies that often, so don’t feel bad, LT.

Ga said on May. 13, 2010

Kyoo: It would be cool to see an adaptation of English to Kanji or Chinese characters with English grammar. It wouldn’t be so hard to set up…
熊 是 可怕 = “Bears are scary”
It should be pretty easy to write an IME that converts typed words to character equivalents, with rollover explaining what they are.

GaGa said on May. 13, 2010

Man, we could call it Twitness English and sell it to depressed entrepreneurs as a kind of secret code for talking about “bonds” and “stocks”. It even has Asian appeal, and we all know how businesspeople love Asia. Get in touch with your inner Zen – TWITNESS the horizons expand!

Damn. This is good. Someone take this idea before I become a millionaire – I will not be giving to charity.

clausman said on May. 17, 2010

great. now all i have to do is figure out how to type japanese on an american computer

FuzzyPicklez said on Jul. 2, 2010

What!? He created three amazing video games and he doesn’t even know how to use a computer!? I guess, since he was a celebrity and actually played an RPG before, they gave him a free pass. Not to say they aren’t amazing games. I’m just saying, from a wannabe producer’s point of view, it makes me a little jealous.

Zoom! said on Sep. 23, 2011

@clausman Copy, paste

Crysisnova said on May. 18, 2012

@FuzzyPicklez
I sort of thought that the programed the first mother game… O.o

That’s what the creator of metal gear solid with the first MGS game on MSX