May 11th, 2010 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

In MOTHER 3, you can heal your party by using hot springs. Sometimes, rarely, an old man will show up in a hot spring. He doesn’t do anything special, in fact he almost acts like he belongs there and that nothing unusual is happening.

Even rarer is a woman bather who’s confused when you talk to her. In Japan (and most elsewhere) it’s common for hot springs to be separated into a male and female area, but sometimes there are mixed gender hot springs. That’s what the lady references when she says her line of, “Mixed gender bathing?”

You can see these hot spring rarities in this video here posted by EblotheHedgehog:

As you can see, when you’re high on mushrooms, the old man and the old lady have different sprites. I thought that was pretty funny, and the choice of new sprites was pretty good too 😀

34 Comments to MOTHER 3 Hot Spring Surprises

Bobbyjkl said on May. 11, 2010

What’s bathing culture like in Japan, Matosan?

LakituAl said on May. 11, 2010

Wait, there is a spring in the mole cricket hole!? Wow, I learn something new everyday…

ebkid199x said on May. 11, 2010

Lol When Ionia is in the tub, it literally IS mixed gender bathing. 😛

Will said on May. 12, 2010

Wow, I never even knew about the lady.

Duh. said on May. 12, 2010

It must be mixed gender if Kumatora gets in with Lucas and Duster.

Kyoo said on May. 12, 2010

am I the only one thinking about Ero-Sennin, when it comes to mixed gender bathing? heck even when I played Mother 3 and I saw that lady saying that. I just couldn’t stop laughing because I was thinking about that pervert.

Ninten said on May. 12, 2010

I found the old man in the hot spring in chapter 5 neer the mole holes.

Roo said on May. 12, 2010

I remember when I first saw the guy bathing in the hot spring in the basement of Osohe Castle – he kinda freaked me out. I didn’t know if he was supposed to give me a bonus item or something.

Knowing Itoi’s humor, I probably should have known he was basically a human “insignificant item”.

Anonymous said on May. 12, 2010

I was aware of Ionia, Fassad, and the old man apearing in the hot spring but I never knew of the woman who appeared.

[…] Direct link here Permalink […]

Father said on May. 12, 2010

I remember the first time i saw the old man in the hot spring I lmao for some time and little things like those events make mother 3 a very unique/awsome rpg game.

Anonymous said on May. 12, 2010

funny i saw the old man in that very spot just a few minutes ago.

me said on May. 12, 2010

Lol mixed gender bathing

Ninten Ness Lucas said on May. 12, 2010

lol i love mother 3! mother3 is the best mother game and i love browniebrown’s graphics… truly the best! ( but since phoenix wright was on gameboy in japan i change my mind)

Rhyselinn said on May. 12, 2010

That last part struck me as funny since I haven’t played M3 yet. “when you’re high on mushrooms, the sprites are different. ” 🙂 That’s an in game reference, right? Right??

TheMetroidMan said on May. 12, 2010

@Rhyselinn
Haha yes, there is a part in the game where you do trip on mushrooms and you start hallucinating. However if you really DID take shrooms before playing the game, I SUPPOSE the sprites might change? Maybe? O.o

Not Giygas said on May. 12, 2010

Maybe they are in there to learn PSI Water Alpha

Kajin said on May. 13, 2010

Whoa, I’ve never even seen the woman…

Rich said on May. 13, 2010

I finished my second playthrough recently, saw the old man all the time, and never encountered the woman once, ever.
On my next game, I’m spending more time on TaneTane.

Kalasad said on May. 13, 2010

Haha, in my first playthrough I had the old man at every spring I visited, except one time before the volcano, so I thought that he was SUPPOSED to be there. Never saw the lady, though.

blahmoomoo said on May. 13, 2010

When I played, it always seemed to me that nobody would ever be in the hot springs when I visited them the first time, but later on in the game if I revisited that spring there would be an old man there.

I might have seen the woman in the hot spring once… I can’t remember though. For some reason I recall seeing a Magypsy in a hot spring, but I can’t recall if that was on mushroom island or if that was part of the plot… (I need to play this game again 😛 )

Big A2 said on May. 14, 2010

I’ve always thought that the hot spring guy’s “What?” in the Japanese version has always been more effective than the fan translation’s “Yes?”.

Violet said on May. 14, 2010

Can anyone explain that whole extra syllable thing? I never understood what that meant.

Mato said on May. 14, 2010

Big A2: There’s a nuance difference between ăȘに and ăȘにか, so it’s not saying, “What?” in Japanese.

Violet: The message boards at the hot springs are supposed to be haikus, but some have extra or too few syllables.

neonix said on May. 14, 2010

Wow, I was always confused by the syllable thing too, but I never caught that they were Haikus. Once agian I learn something new about this game.
That makes two things for today, as I only ran into the old man once and realized it was a random occurrence, but didn’t know about the woman.

Portal-Kombat said on May. 14, 2010

In all the times I’ve played and finished Mother 3 (somewhere close to ten times, I think) I’ve only ever once met the Lady. It was in the Empire Porky Building’s “Hot Spring Powder Hot Spring” on the room to the right of the main lobby on floor one.

Big A2 said on May. 14, 2010

@Mato: Than that mean my year 8 Japanese teacher lied to me! *Flies into sarcastic rage*.

Eblo said on May. 15, 2010

So the signs were haikus? I thought they were meant to rhyme or something, but they didn’t because of the unofficial translation.

And ohlol my video

Matt said on May. 18, 2010

Knowing what that spring on Tanetane Island really was, I really want to believe that anyone the players meet in there are a total fabrication. D:

FuzzyPicklez said on May. 22, 2010

What’s a hot chick doing on Tanetane Island…bathing in sludge!?

Anonymous said on Jan. 11, 2011

the video is gone

Spidey501 said on Jul. 30, 2012

I remember that when a guy appears in the hot tub(or sludge pit) in the Tane Tane Islands he looks like fassad lol

Eblo said on Oct. 11, 2012

Damn, I should’ve saved my videos before closing that account. I had a whole folder of these savestates before I had to wipe my HDD. Oh well.

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

There’s a lady in the hot spring? I’ve only ever encountered the old man. And what’s this about Fassad being there? Also, video is down.