May 5th, 2010 | EarthBound

For a while now I thought it’d be really cool if someone could hack an achievement system into EarthBound, it’d be neat and give players a new way to enjoy a game we’ve all played to death by now.

An actual ROM hack of EarthBound to create such a system would take absolutely incredible ROM programming knowledge and huge amount of time, so I don’t think that’ll ever happen. So something like a LUA script for an emulator might work instead. (Here’s an example of how LUA can do a lot for old games.) Or maybe it’d be possible to add it to the MOTHER 1+2 ROM. I dunno, but the idea’s been brewing in my head for a long time now. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to actually implement such a system, but it’s neat to think about.

There could be some simple achievements like “Win the Sword of Kings” and “Beat Frank at XX level”. There could also be some things like “Beat the game in 8 hours” or “Beat 100 Insane Cultists in one battle”. And then really crazy stuff I can’t even think of.

If it WERE possible to give EarthBound an optional achievement system, what kind of interesting achievements do you think could it have?

69 Comments to EarthBound Achievements

bobbyjkl said on May. 5, 2010

128 objects, too

snes101 said on May. 5, 2010

It was possible to beat Giygas by poisoning him in MOTHER 1+2, right? I’d make an achievement for that! =P

SmaMan said on May. 5, 2010

I could see achievements for SMAAAAASSHH!! attacks. One at your first, another at 10 or so… and so on, and so on.

CannibalPineapple said on May. 5, 2010

An achievement for taking Paula home with Ness at the end would be cute. “Meet the Parents”, maybe?

Earthbound-less fan said on May. 5, 2010

I know! HIPPIE BATTLES IN EVERY PLACE!

BB said on May. 5, 2010

Beat the game without a single character dying.

WhatsHerFace said on May. 5, 2010

Cluttered Knapsack: Find the Insignificant Object and carry it with you until you beat the game.

What’s Free Range?: Hatch 5 eggs in your knapsack and let them grow into chickens.

Financial Irresponsibility: Invest in Orange Kid’s Machine.

Courage!: Go through Magicant without a single Flying Man dying.

Hopeless Romantic: Find the two sesame seeds in the Desert.

neonix said on May. 6, 2010

I really like that idea. How about “Talk to every single NPC in the game.”

Linkzcap said on May. 6, 2010

Manage to Buy the Cartridge: Not Achieved Yet

MarioFan3 said on May. 6, 2010

@Linkzcap: Really? Mine would be “Manage to get the cartridge working on your PAL SNES” Now there’s an achievement!

I have an idea for an achievement, implement the anti-piracy hard mode in Earthbound, beating THAT is my achievement! πŸ˜€

@Those who don’t know what I’m on about:
There are talks about extra difficulty in pirated copies of the game due to Nintendo’s anti-piracy measures (bosses have more HP, PP etc), and
*SPOILER ALERT*
when you defeated Porky at the end just before you see Giygas’ true form
*END SPOILER*
the game would freeze forcing you to hard reset, only to find all your save data gone!

See here if your still unsure what I mean:

Obviously, I don’t think it would be nice to have that last bit of evil crashing seen in the video implemented into a hard mode, but it would be nice to have those other changes in the game.

Ree said on May. 6, 2010

Get everyone’s best weapon.
Get all photographs.
Get as few photographs as possible (I think there are two that can’t be avoided?).
Collect every available town postcard.
As mentioned above, the sesame seed achievement would rock.

If this goes into Mother 1+2, there should be three achievements for completing a game (#1: win Mother 1, #2: win Mother 2, #3: win both Mother 1 and Mother 2), as well as an achievement for beating Mother 1 without getting (or maybe just without using) the Easy Ring.

Ice Sage said on May. 6, 2010

Get every item possible from enemy drops (not just 1/128 items). That took me a while…

olo said on May. 6, 2010

buy the house in onett before beating the sharks

get the T-REX’s bat as Jeff in winters the first time .

JamesBond007 said on May. 6, 2010

Get Sword of Kings, Broken Antenna, 3 Star Pendants, Goddess Ribbon and Gutsy Bat.
As Jeff, buy T-Rex Bat and Non-Stick Frypan before leaving Winters.

sticktendo said on May. 6, 2010

Beat the game without taking damage.

Use the Suproma. During a Shattered Mna fight. After you beat Giygas.

Just some ideas.

Kyoo said on May. 6, 2010

I believe i’ve achieved the 100 cultist in one battle πŸ˜€

Dekuben said on May. 6, 2010

We’re actually working on getting this done in Earthbound at the moment.

Murcielo said on May. 6, 2010

Well, the Insane Cultist accomplishment was simple enough (need I say more? I’ve killed too many in the past). Um, how about having more than one copy of Sword of Kings? Like 3 or 5, to be exact.

Darien said on May. 6, 2010

Teddy Bear’s Picnic: Finish the game without ever having a teddy bear turn into a pile of fluff.

Mario Party: Defeat Giygas while all party members are mushroomised

Smokey’s Last Stand: Defeat a Territorial Oak but do not survive the battle.

Livin’ on a Prayer: Use Paula’s “pray” command 100 times.

Crime Fighter: Defeat a Criminal Caterpillar and a Master Criminal Worm.

Anne Noise said on May. 6, 2010

I would kill for this feature.

I’m surprised there isn’t some kind of scripting system built into emulators, or something. That seems… feasible?

Ga said on May. 6, 2010

That would be cool. The outer program reads the ROM’s state as it runs, and keeps a tally of the achievements in the background which can be viewed at any time!

It could even implement a record-keeping feature, like timing battles and then uploading them to a high-score table or something. How quickly can YOU beat Mani-Mani?

Even cooler, even cooler, why not keep track of all the players in one area in a game (or any game) and show this at the bottom of the window? Double click, and it opens a chat window so you can share tips or ask for advice.

Man
Dude
That would be neat

Komaru said on May. 6, 2010

I think this would definitely be pretty cool, although I can’t specifically think of any off the top of my head.

Also, at MarioFan3
“Really? Mine would be β€œManage to get the cartridge working on your PAL SNES” Now there’s an achievement!”
If memory serves me right, if you open the console up, there’s a little metal tab that you can remove. It should work right then, but I would use a surge protector just in case, or look it up online so you don’t damage the game by accident.

Kyoo said on May. 6, 2010

If I was making an achievement system for earthbound. I’d make one for completing game without equipping weapons. (nice little handicap)

ToyStory2WasOk said on May. 6, 2010

The Slot Machine brothers are begging for achievements. I think talking to certain people would be a plus and incentive since you really miss out on the real game just by grinding through it.

ToyStory2WasOk said on May. 6, 2010

Oh, and the Contact Lens and that item.. umm.. the “usless item” was it?

Murcielo said on May. 6, 2010

You mean the Insignificant Item, right? Yeah, some of the items, including a few NPCs need some love…

EmeraldWind said on May. 6, 2010

Unlock your true potential: Got when you defeat Ness’s Nightmare

Unlock Your True Potential… Erm Nevermind: Defeat Ness’s Nightmare at Lvl 99.

TBird said on May. 6, 2010

Is that burger from the trash?: Find or eat (I don’t know if it could tell one burger from another) the trash can burger.

Mr. Anon said on May. 7, 2010

It may be kinda obvious, but how about reach level 99?

Roo said on May. 7, 2010

I think you’d have to have an achievement for leading a Shark up the hill to the meteorite in Onett.

JoyfulSanity said on May. 7, 2010

Hold On!: Save a character from a fatal blow after their HP rolls down for 30 seconds.

No, You: Kill an enemy after receiving a fatal blow. (Does not count self destructing enemies)

Easy Grinding: Auto-win against the same enemy group 10 times in a row

So You Like Poo?: Keep all original names.

So You Don’t Like Poo?: Change everyone’s names.

I Believe in Skies Forever Blue: Beat the game

I could go on, but this is already a long comment.

TwoSheds said on May. 7, 2010

Love this idea, would make play through number 328 more interesting lol.

Long Goodbye’s: talk to everyone after you beat the game.

Momma’s boy: call home 50 times before leaving Onett.

Grand theft banana: steal over 5000$ from the food stand in happy happy village.

Alone in the dark: beat the game with only Paula alive.

On a diet: never eat.

Monkey Master: Meet all the monkeys requests, even the dead ends.

Insistent: Bug the man in the Twoson hotel till he gives you 50$.

Fobby masher: Kill over a 100 Fobbies.

No, its my fly honey, get your own!: beat belch without using the fly honey.

TwoSheds said on May. 7, 2010

Potty mouth: rename each character an offensive word.

TwoSheds said on May. 7, 2010

Ness Campbell: kill 100 zombies.

neonix said on May. 7, 2010

Don’t forget you can trade the Insignificant Item for a Magic truffle. I suppose that could be an achievement called “Meticulous Explorer”. Ahh the little things in EB. πŸ™‚

SurgeSpirit said on May. 7, 2010

I just signed up and wanted to see my avatar

SurgeSpirit said on May. 7, 2010

Wow, Really? WTF? Now I have to register as something else I can’t have my avatar be a robot maid.

ZombieFobby said on May. 7, 2010

It would be awesome if there was someway to make an achievement for recognizing Tomas Jefferson, and not calling him Thomas.

JoeShmoe said on May. 7, 2010

I could see something along the lines of an achievement called “Religious – Prayed 100 times” or something, haha… excluding the very last bit when fighting Giygas, where Prayer actually becomes quite useful.

Skye said on May. 7, 2010

Funny you mention achievements, in Saturn Valley Online we’re going to add achievements to the Earthbound storyline part of the game. So even if you won’t have the achievements in the original game you’ll have them in our version of Earthbound πŸ˜€

EmeraldWind said on May. 7, 2010

There’s Something Behind You: Get your Picture taken while A Party Member is a Ghost.

That’s Not My Picture: Get a Jeff only picture taken during the first time at Winters.

Inconsiderate: Never call your mom.

Teddy Destruction: Have a Teddy killed in a single hit.

I hate the 60s: Defeat 100 Hippies.

How do I measure up: Use the Ruler in battle.

MG said on May. 7, 2010

“Inconsiderate” seems like a really hard achievement to get.

Anzon said on May. 7, 2010

Anybody get the new NP issue? They mentioned something vaguely like this in the mailbox. And they had an article that mentioned Earthbound, too. πŸ™‚

MarioFan3 said on May. 8, 2010

@Komaru:
I tried something along those lines with my friend’s SNES’s a while back actually, one he bought from the U.S and one that he had owned since launch day.
We were testing NES and SNES games to see if we could get them working on the opposite region console (we were bored c’mon we needed something to do right? πŸ™‚ ) and we got a “This game isn’t for your system” message or really bad corruption in visual and/or audio most of the time. We managed to get one the Donkey Kong Country games, a Mario game, and a Tetris game working after an hour or two. πŸ™‚
The sad part is, I never got to see Earthbound at all, he owned the game but we couldn’t find it anywhere (just my luck) my friend told me he’d fill me in if he found it.
Some weeks later I got a phone call, he found the game but not the box. We tried to make it work… unfortunately getting it to work was something that wasn’t going to happen. The world was against us, the PAL SNES broke, we couldn’t fix it and we gave up.
Good times… I won’t be doing that again though that’s why I referenced it as one of my achievements! πŸ˜€

NessLucas.zero said on May. 9, 2010

Law Breaker: beat 100 crazy cops.

Monkey Lover: get the Monkey’s love.

The Beatles Master: answer correctly the pop quiz in Onett.

I pitty the foo!: talk to Mr. T in Twoson.

Rich Boy: buy all the equipment available in Summers.

God, an achievement Sistem would be so awesome.

Grapefruits said on May. 9, 2010

This would be a lot of fun if implemented.

mr.yoshiboy64 said on May. 10, 2010

“OMG a Mr.Baseball cap”- Buy the mr. baseball cap in happy happy village.
“I hate nerds”- get Jeff killed 100 times.
“Mole Masher”- kill 100 moles on the beach
Ill think of more later

Poe said on May. 10, 2010

@mr.yoshiboy64 – You can get the Mr. Baseball cap free in Onett from the guy in the secret clubhouse. Getting that one should be the achievement.

dannykins said on May. 11, 2010

“oh god did i step in it?” : find Pokeys poop in scaraba.

mr.yoshiboy64 said on May. 12, 2010

@ poe How about geting both?
BTW came up with a new one “Food lover.” Get one of every kind of food in the game.

NateHazelnut said on May. 12, 2010

Hard-Boiled 50g: Finish A Boss Battle Without Taking Damage

Tough Luck 100g: Find all 1/128 items

Fai 10gl:Disrupt Poo’s meditation

Not Today 50g: Beat an enemy after taking mortal damage (and dont heal it back in the battle)

Sack o’ Crap 20g:Find all of the insignificant items and carry them to a santuary.

Secret Aclove 10g: Find the hidden clubhouse in Onett

Close Range 70g: Never use a ranged weapon

Livin on a Prayer 30g: Take mortal damage and survive with Paulas prayer.

Addiction 60g: Keep the game running for 10 hours.

The Way the World Ends 100g: Die in the battle against Gygas on the first try.

Marvolus Light 200g: Defeat Gygas on the first try

Don’t Screw This Up 50g: Defeat a santuary boss with your weakest player the only one alive.

If you want more, just say it.

PKRockin said on May. 13, 2010

Ummm…. the sack o’ crap challenge wouldn’t work, there is only one insignificant itemm in the game.

NateHazelnut said on May. 13, 2010

Before I add some achivememts
@PKRockin Really? My friend said there were 3

Sorry, but most of these are storyline acivements
Hometown Hero 20g: Clear Onett
Two For Twoson 20g: Twoson
Third Times the Charm 20g: Clear Threed
Four Times the Fun:Clear Fourside
Moonside Swing:Clear Moonside
Twosons Pride 50g: Rescue Paula
Nerds are Awesome 50g: Have Jeff save you
Poo in the toilet 50g: Meet Poo
Livin It: Accumulate 50,000 dollars
Photo-Op 30g: Find all photo locations

Pls post cuz I’m lonely

PKRockin said on May. 14, 2010

Animal lover:Kill and talk to every animal in the game!

John H. said on May. 15, 2010

Find the “insignificant item” and give it to the person who wants it.
Have your Dad pay off your debt to the ATM guy in Deep Darkness.
Put the Sound Stone into Escargo Express.
Order pizza, but prevent its delivery.
Get the address for HAL Labs.
Speak to everyone after defeating Giygas.
Read every headline for every newspaper throughout the game.
Finish off a boss with the Casey Bat.
Win a battle with all four characters in mortal damage.
Win a battle after a character has hit zero damage but before he dies, so he automatically revives with 1 hit point.
Defeat three Sanctuary bosses with a mushroom on your head.
Achieve level 99 with the experience bonus from finishing Magicant.
Get the free $50 in the Twoson hotel.
Read the funny story from the magazine (“demon child”).
Have stored the following items in Escargo Espress all at once: Mr. Baseball Cap, Bicycle, Hand-Aid, Ruler, Protractor, Pair of Dirty Socks, Snake Bag, Suporma, Pharoah’s Curse, For Sale Sign, Brain Stone, Handbag Strap, Hall-of-Fame Bat.
Use a Ruler and Protractor in the same boss battle.
Win a PSI Caramel from the Sanchez Brothers.
When Ness is alone, get insta-killed by a boss using PK Flash.
Avoid fighting all of the gigantic dinosaurs in the prehistoric world.
Defeat a Criminal Caterpillar.
Defeat a Master Criminal Worm.
Let Picky defeat any enemy in battle.
Don’t let Buzz Buzz get in the last hit against Starman Jr.
Find APE Headquarters.
Satisfy all of the monkeys in Talah Rama’s cave without leaving.
Find the sesame seeds in the desert.
Obtain the Gutsy Bat.
Obtain the Goddess Ribbon.
Obtain the Magic Frypan.
Obtain the Gaia Beam.
Obtain all of Poo’s equipment.
Obtain Meteotite and Meteorinum.
Find all of the photo opportunities.

Grounding said on Jun. 1, 2010

Beat Giygas with the name Giygas “Killed Yourself” matybe?

mother2fan1 said on Jun. 4, 2010

maybe…. psi spamer:never use “attack” but the others are fine. (Ness only)

Link the SwordMage said on Sep. 20, 2010

Hmm… How ’bout Bounce Back: Get 10 bottle rockets bounced backed at you by a Guardian Digger in one battle and healing only once per character.(if this is possible to do in one battle)

Mother Fanatic said on Sep. 1, 2011

Immortal: NEVER die.

Gifted: Open all present boxes.

Romantic Walk: After beating the game, take Paula on a walk on Summers’ beach.

Condi-Maniac: Always use condiments on foods.

Plush Paradise: Everyone holds three of every teddy bear.

PSI Master: Use all PSI moves 100 times.

Millionaire: Have your bank account reach a million dollars.

Jackpot: Have your bank account with the highest ammount of cash deposited possible.

Piece Of Cake: Beat an enemy with one attack.

Smashing Luck: Beat an enemy with one smash attack.

Sneaky Strike: Beat an enemy with one attack after sneaking from behind.

Sneaky Smash: Beat an enemy with one smash attack after sneaking from behind.

Thief Prince: Before doing Poo’s training, open all boxes in Daalam.

Double Dreamer: Sleep in Magicant’s Inn.

Pizzas Aplenty: Order all sizes of pizza at least three times.

School Daze: In Winters Boarding School, talk to everyone before leaving.

How The Cookie Crumbles: Take all of the cookies in Winters Boarding School.

Night Walk: Walk around Onett at night for five minutes without fighting a single enemy.

Desert Disaster: Everyone in the party has sunstroke.

Poison Peril: Everyone in the party is poisoned.

Close Call: Cure a cold/sunstroke/poison just before the party member dies.

Batter Up!: When equipped with the Casey Bat, you never missed in one battle.

Batter Out…: When equipped with the Casey Bat, you always missed in a battle.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Only Paula attacks.

Jewellery Store: Everyone is diamondized except Paula.

Guardian Angels: Paula uses pray ten times when everyone else has fainted.

Genius: Reach an IQ of 100 for Jeff.

Prince Of Sword Of Kings: Obtain a Sword Of Kings.

King Of Sword Of Kings: Obtain two Sword Of Kings.

Sword Of Queens: Obtain a Sword Of Kings, but Paula has to be the one who defeated the Starman Super.

Shooting Stars: Use PK Starstorm Alpha 100 times.

Meteor Shower: Use PK Starstorm Omega 100 times.

Thunder Storm: Use PK Thunder (any level) in Pink Cloud Cave 100 times.

Winters White: Use PK Freeze (any level) in Winters 100 times.

Heat Wave: Use PK Fire (any level) in Scaraba 100 times.

Mother Fanatic said on Sep. 2, 2011

Scarecrow: Only guard against Spiteful Crows for ten battles.

Jeff76 said on Dec. 2, 2011

Here are my ideas.
Pyro-manic:Beat the game with Paula using nothing but PK Fire.
I’m rich!:Carry max money.
Broke:Have no money.
Safekeeping:Keep all your money in the ATM.
PK…STARSTORM!:Have Poo use nothing but PK Starstorm for the rest of the game after he learns it.
Nerdy:Have Jeff fix one of all the broken items in the game.

Phi said on Jun. 11, 2012

I have ideas for more pointless achievements!

Oops…: Have all party members fall in battle.
Girl – Boy: Have Paula be tthe only one not beaten.
This Game Stinks: Have Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo all be nauseaous at the same time.

Hameba said on Jun. 11, 2012

MORE ACHIEVEMENTS!

Onett Resort – 10G/Bronze: Buy the house in Onett

Saturn in Blue – 10G/Bronze: Find the Mr.Saturn in Happy Happy Village

Shark Boy – 10G/Bronze: Return to the Onett Arcade after finishing Earthbound

Addiction – 50G/Gold: Spend $1000 on the broken slot machine in Dusty Dunes Desert

Art Critic – 20G/Silver: Beat 50 Abstract Arts and 50 Dali’s Clocks

Now for Story Line Achievements

For the Motherland – 20G/Silver: Beat Onett

Boy Meets Girl – 20G/Silver: Beat Twoson

Winters Wonderland – 20G/Silver: Beat Winters

Thriller – 20G/Silver: Beat Threed

Saturn’s Rings – 20G/Silver: Beat Saturn Valley

Sand in my Shoes – 20G/Silver: Beat Dusty Dunes Desert

Flashing Lights – 20G/Silver: Beat Fourside (and Moonside)

The First Half – 30G/Silver: Obtain the First Half of the Eight Melodies

Lightning from a Pink Cloud – 20G/Silver: Beat Dalaam

Walk Like an Egyptian – 20G/Silver: Beat Scaraba

Jurassic Park – 20G/Silver: Beat the Lost Underworld

A Melody of Love – 50G/Gold: Collect all Eight Melodies

Dream Wanderer – 20G/Silver: Defeat Ness’s Nightmare

Domo Arigato – 20G/Silver: Enter the Cave of the Past

A Prophecy Fulfilled – 50G/Gold: Finish the Game

Almighty Vincent said on Jun. 13, 2012

All You Can Eat!: buy and chow down on every possible food item.

Ness is the best said on Aug. 14, 2012

Best Player – Complete the game with all items.

nuyfghfedhsgyu said on Aug. 22, 2012

an acheivement when you get party members? or maybe one when you take paula to ness house. or one when you go to magicant and use up the flying men.

edgethelucas said on Sep. 13, 2012

Mature Critic – genuinely beat EarthBound without a strategy guide, allowing you to judge and talk about its quality without keeping subject matter purely to the first 10 minutes of the game , starmen.net, or spoiling the final battle and its appeal for everyone.

…Sorry, I just feel bitter -.-

Vince said on Feb. 8, 2013

I know that some people made a Chrono Trigger-specific program that somehow saw what music was supposed to be playing and played a respective MP3 file.

joe said on Apr. 5, 2013

my ideas:
10 enemies killed in one battle – da powuh
50 enemies killed in one battle – baseball capped killing machine
100 enemies killed in one battle – too much time on your hands
1000 enemies killed in one battle – you are the villain of the game now
3000 enemies killed in one battle – you should stop playing this game for a while now
picking up an item with a full inventory, then tossing an item from your inventory that is the same – fairtrade
thats all i have