MOTHER 3 in Retro Gamer
May 5th, 2010 | EarthBound
For a while now I thought it’d be really cool if someone could hack an achievement system into EarthBound, it’d be neat and give players a new way to enjoy a game we’ve all played to death by now.
An actual ROM hack of EarthBound to create such a system would take absolutely incredible ROM programming knowledge and huge amount of time, so I don’t think that’ll ever happen. So something like a LUA script for an emulator might work instead. (Here’s an example of how LUA can do a lot for old games.) Or maybe it’d be possible to add it to the MOTHER 1+2 ROM. I dunno, but the idea’s been brewing in my head for a long time now. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to actually implement such a system, but it’s neat to think about.
There could be some simple achievements like “Win the Sword of Kings” and “Beat Frank at XX level”. There could also be some things like “Beat the game in 8 hours” or “Beat 100 Insane Cultists in one battle”. And then really crazy stuff I can’t even think of.
If it WERE possible to give EarthBound an optional achievement system, what kind of interesting achievements do you think could it have?
Other Related Posts:
69 Comments to EarthBound Achievements
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...