Silly Nintendo, That’s the Wrong System
May 5th, 2010 | EarthBound
For a while now I thought it’d be really cool if someone could hack an achievement system into EarthBound, it’d be neat and give players a new way to enjoy a game we’ve all played to death by now.
An actual ROM hack of EarthBound to create such a system would take absolutely incredible ROM programming knowledge and huge amount of time, so I don’t think that’ll ever happen. So something like a LUA script for an emulator might work instead. (Here’s an example of how LUA can do a lot for old games.) Or maybe it’d be possible to add it to the MOTHER 1+2 ROM. I dunno, but the idea’s been brewing in my head for a long time now. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to actually implement such a system, but it’s neat to think about.
There could be some simple achievements like “Win the Sword of Kings” and “Beat Frank at XX level”. There could also be some things like “Beat the game in 8 hours” or “Beat 100 Insane Cultists in one battle”. And then really crazy stuff I can’t even think of.
If it WERE possible to give EarthBound an optional achievement system, what kind of interesting achievements do you think could it have?
Other Related Posts:
69 Comments to EarthBound Achievements
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...