May 1st, 2010 | Hacking, Interviews, MOTHER 1+2, MOTHER 3

I’m not much for doing interviews, so whenever a magazine or someone asks me for an interview I usually decline. After the MOTHER 3 translation came out, I got a lot of requests but sent most of them Reid’s way instead. I thought I did only one or two in 2008, but I just remembered I did do a very quick interview for Retroaction sometime last year when I randomly came across the page for it today. I had totally forgotten about it 😯 It’s nothing special, but this one is about the MOTHER 3 translation and the super-slowly-going MOTHER 1+2 translation:

If you can’t get that to work, it’s page 60 here.

While we’re on the subject of the MOTHER 1 translation, I mentioned it a few times in the past few months, but right now it’s basically on hold while I tend to more important things. I really want to work on it but priorities come first. Of course, I’ll post more updates here about it when stuff starts happening again.

Also, I just remembered that someone had also asked about doing a documentary about the translation. I declined, but I passed them along to Fangamer, so something cool should definitely come out of that!

11 Comments to A MOTHER 1+2 & 3 Interview

Someone said on May. 1, 2010

Wait a second. A DOCUMENTARY!
I mean I know alot of work went into the project and people want some of the beind the scenes stuff, but really.
Oh well. Interesting news as always.

Roo said on May. 1, 2010

Excellent interview. It’s nice to get into Mato’s head once in awhile. 🙂

Kyoo said on May. 1, 2010

yeah I feel the same way, at first I thought the interview ended kind of oddly, then I realized you could turn the page of the magazine then I was happy again. plus, I didn’t know about mother12.net and I’ve always wanted all the feedback on that, so it’s nice to finally know where I can easily find all the feedback.

I used to be a hacker and a cracker, so I’d be super interested in anything and everything that is done with the reprogramming and translation

it always fascinates me, the way I see it, the more I can be informed on such matters, the better.

Anonymous said on May. 2, 2010

Awesome interview Mato, professional as always.

yut said on May. 2, 2010

[…] Link Permalink […]

Roo said on May. 2, 2010

“LOL the mag says the mother one transation was by fans, it was a translated beta cart…”

I’ve just come to expect that pretty much every media-written story on the Mother series will have some sort of factual error like that in it.

Of course, the number of errors quadruple if we’re talking about an review of EarthBound done by a gaming magazine in the 90’s (other than Nintendo Power, of course).

Retro Ninja said on May. 9, 2010

I think its stupid that they don’t even work on the mother 1 and 2 translation i think it would be great if they actually freakin worked on it! Think about it you buy a blank GBA cart and you could have all the mother games on one cart

Retro Ninja said on May. 9, 2010

i suppose i am not a help either because its not like im working on it

Milla the Icecarl said on Jun. 5, 2010

Good luck with the Mother 1+2 translation! I need to play the rest of the series not in engrish!

Labrynian Rebel said on Jun. 5, 2010

Do you think that in the Mother 1 retranslation you could put the lyrics to the Eight Melodies song? I don’t know why, but I would like that in the game, since it is official and all that.

I was also disapointed you have all the answers to the plot that only hinted at in your hands (GGF’s Diary) but you only ever read one line of it (that doesn’t make sense at all) but I guess that can’t be helped, now can it?