May 4th, 2010 | Images

Claremonster posted these a while back on the Starmen.Net forums. I thought they were pretty cool so I was going to post about them weeks and weeks ago but kept putting it off. At last, here they are!

I made sprites in Minecraft.

For those who don’t know what minecraft is, it’s like a first-person lego construction game online. Took me about four hours to produce this, but here you go.

I don’t really know anything about this game, but it looks like it was probably a lot of work to make these!

22 Comments to 3D EarthBound Sprites

Bobbyjkl said on May. 4, 2010

Oooh, what’s your username on Minecraft?
I’m Bobbyjkl :3

Those look really, really good. I once tried to make some sprites, but 3 hours later I regretted attempting in the first place.

Gon said on May. 4, 2010

I spent about 5 hours making sprites on minecraft, took me an hour and a half alone to make a giant donkey kong sprite. Then the server was griefed and I gave up.

GON said on May. 4, 2010

Minecraft’s fun, but there’s an insane amount of griefers…

These are pretty awesome, though.

GON said on May. 4, 2010

>=O Heyy…another Gon? But I’m GON. So it’s okay. I guess…

Kendall! said on May. 5, 2010

That is so awesome. It’s like a Godzilla sized Ninten, Ness, Mr. Saturn, and Lucas. Rampaging some dessert island.

hurdur said on May. 5, 2010

I sent this in but it never got posted so I thought now is the perfect time to complain!

neonix said on May. 5, 2010

@hurderm that’s pretty cool 8) I have to ask though, why did you make Mr. Saturn yellow?

And a question for the Minecraft players, what is “greifing”? Sounds like trolling/clogging up the server to prevent others form getting anything accomplished. Am I close?

neonix said on May. 5, 2010

*hurdur.. I have no clue why I wrote -derm… It’s late. Goodnight.

blahmoomoo said on May. 5, 2010

neonix: In Minecraft, anyone can host a server and the average server is a complete sandbox. Therefore, a griefer would be somebody who comes over to what you are making and starts destroying it, block by block. Admins can help prevent this by constantly monitoring activity [with their special noclip privilege] and making backups of the entire map, but obviously that does not always stop the greifing.

Some servers lock unauthorized users from building or destroying areas on a map, but I am not aware of servers with admins that are nice enough to reserve sections of their map to strangers.

JudgeDeadd said on May. 5, 2010

He wasn’t the first to do something like this though… Look what I made…

Kyoo said on May. 5, 2010

I’d like to see these made to scale of what you made on that game. but you know. in real life. gigantic towering mother characters.

hurdur said on May. 5, 2010

@neonix
he’s yellow because in minecraft the skin colored blocks are sand and they don’t float in the air like the other blocks

Gon said on May. 5, 2010

Saturn looks like he is made out of the sand blocks and not the yellow cloth blocks. I mean compare his coloring to Lucas’ hair.

starstormer said on May. 5, 2010

This reminds me of a ninten sprite I made out of legos. Mine didn’t take nearly as long since it was just one sprite and in real life.

PKSTARMAN said on May. 6, 2010

Kewl…

PKSTARMAN said on May. 6, 2010

It also reminds me of the Ness sprite I made with Legos and stuff. It was huge!

Yoshi221 said on May. 6, 2010

Never heard of this program before but that looks awesome! This is a good reference for making a Mother-based microgame on Warioware:DIY. Thanks!

YAOMTC said on May. 7, 2010

Oops, previous comment was mine.

Here’s the server it’s on (restricted to premium users or those who’ve commented on an access thread on reddit):

YAOMTC said on May. 7, 2010

Okay uh I guess comments don’t go through if there’s not a name. Here’s what I meant to post:

Made by hand, without scripts or the flying hack.

oncheonche said on May. 29, 2010

3hours ? I can build 64*64 sprites in 15min

alek214 said on Oct. 22, 2010

this isn’t really as impressive as it may seam. sprites in minecraft are easy, they just take a while.

alek214 said on Oct. 22, 2010

And no, I don’t use flying hacks when I make pixel art.