MOTHER on MSNBC
Super EarthBound fan Chewy recently e-mailed me about her translating the MOTHER 2 novel during Golden Week in Japan.
Here’s what she says:
As some of you know, this week is Golden Week in Japan. The entire country puts down its tools and enters what is basically a week-long national holiday. What this means is that I can’t fly home to America for anything less than $2,500, and that any tourist attraction I take the opportunity to go see in Japan is going to literally be swimming with bodies.
To take advantage of being the only person in the entire country with 11 days off and zero plans, I’m going to challenge myself to a translating marathon and attempt to complete the MOTHER 2 novel translation by the end of my Golden Week vacation. This monster is almost 500 pages long, so my emphasis is on the word “attempt,” but for now this will basically be a live blog to follow my progress over the next week.
You can read more details and see everything else at the site here! You can follow her progress and give her virtual caffeine pills there as well.
I once translated a novel in a similar way many years ago. It’s crazy exhausting and time-consuming. In my case it took me about a month to translate the whole book into a first draft form (the book was The Ring btw). So if she can pull this off, she will be ultra mambo tango foxtrot translation martial artist!
Other Related Posts:
20 Comments to MOTHER 2 Novel Translation-athon!
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...