April 28th, 2010 | EarthBound, Events

Super EarthBound fan Chewy recently e-mailed me about her translating the MOTHER 2 novel during Golden Week in Japan.

Here’s what she says:

As some of you know, this week is Golden Week in Japan. The entire country puts down its tools and enters what is basically a week-long national holiday. What this means is that I can’t fly home to America for anything less than $2,500, and that any tourist attraction I take the opportunity to go see in Japan is going to literally be swimming with bodies.

To take advantage of being the only person in the entire country with 11 days off and zero plans, I’m going to challenge myself to a translating marathon and attempt to complete the MOTHER 2 novel translation by the end of my Golden Week vacation. This monster is almost 500 pages long, so my emphasis is on the word “attempt,” but for now this will basically be a live blog to follow my progress over the next week.

You can read more details and see everything else at the site here! You can follow her progress and give her virtual caffeine pills there as well.

I once translated a novel in a similar way many years ago. It’s crazy exhausting and time-consuming. In my case it took me about a month to translate the whole book into a first draft form (the book was The Ring btw). So if she can pull this off, she will be ultra mambo tango foxtrot translation martial artist!

20 Comments to MOTHER 2 Novel Translation-athon!

Poe said on Apr. 28, 2010

Neat! I’ll be following her progress~

Seifer said on Apr. 28, 2010

Cool. I can’t wait to see the finished product. I’d imagine she’s got a major advantage since she already knows the story of Mother 2 like the back of her hand.

Ninji said on Apr. 28, 2010

Nice. *Hopefully* This beauty will go on sale once It’s finished! 😛 I’m very fussy when it comes to having the real product, rather than having a virtual copy!

Anonymous said on Apr. 28, 2010

That’s incredibly awesome

Ninten said on Apr. 28, 2010

Sweet, I’ll be sure to follow her, I hope she finishes it!

Violet said on Apr. 28, 2010

So very awesome. I admire her dedication so much! Best wishes, Chewy!

Roo said on Apr. 28, 2010

That’s pretty awesome. I’ll have to follow it.

I vaguely remember reading through a novelization of EB that someone did on Starmen.Net back about 10 years ago that I found very impressive. I wish I could remember who wrote it or find a link to it, because the characterization of Ness, Paula, and the rest really added a lot to the already great story.

Hmmm, guess I better start digging now…

Mr.J said on Apr. 28, 2010

Oh wow this is great! I’ll definitely be reading this if she finishes this!

I’m impressed somebody would take on a challenge like that.

If your reading this Chewy, GOOD LUCK!

Kendall! said on Apr. 28, 2010

That’s so awesome! It’s such a project to tackle! I’m really glad you’re doing this! 🙂

MoonSide said on Apr. 28, 2010

Chewy, Good luck!!!

Thank you for at least attempting this novel but, I Believe In You!

SamWibatt said on Apr. 28, 2010

Huge round of applause for Super Fan Chewy!

Onion said on Apr. 28, 2010

Awesome. Go, Chewy! Go-go-go!

Ricardo said on Apr. 28, 2010

Awesome!
You can do it, Chewy!
We believe in you!

KingDarian said on Apr. 28, 2010

This is a novel idea.

get it?

I’m looking forward to this, not just because it revolves around as of yet unavailable in English MOTHER content, but because I really enjoy Lindsays’ translations. Check out the short stories she has posted in her other blog if you haven’t yet: http://yomuka.wordpress.com/

neonix said on Apr. 29, 2010

Wow, I will be really impressed and grateful if she manages to translate the whole thing in 11 days! Good luck Chewy!

JoeShmoe said on Apr. 29, 2010

Hoho, sweet! Much inspiration and luck to ye for taking up this behemoth. We will most definitely be behind you, 110%. (:

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Kyosuke said on Apr. 30, 2010

Yayy! Just hope she doesn’t die from translation exhaustion in the process!

Please make it through alive!

Maya said on May. 2, 2010

Ahhh, I am so excited about this! I’ve been wanting to read this for ages! Good luck to Chewy!

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

Hey, I call writing MOTHER 3!!!!

Find Merchandise!