Random Post:

MOTHER Manga: Believe

April 14th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images, Merchandise

A little while back I posted about some EarthBound photo slides meant for magazines and other such stuff. They’re pretty rare, and those two were the only ones we knew of.

But then earlier today Jesse sent this in:

Just won some earthbound slides that I don’t think have ever been found. Feel free to post in the news section!

And here are the slides in question:

click to enlarge

That’s certainly unusual box art for the game, and I’m not sure why it says “HOME BOUND” on one of them. Jesse didn’t give any other information so I’m a little wary, but they at least look somewhat real. It’d be interesting if that was what the game box was originally going to look like, though.

24 Comments to More EarthBound Photo Slides?

Carl said on Apr. 14, 2010

That’s actually really cool. I’ve been an Earthbound fan since the game came out in 1995, and followed it in magazines, etc. even before that, and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that box-art image. What a great find. I’d love to see a higher-resolution image of it.

Ninji said on Apr. 14, 2010

Hopefully this is real, and hopefully I can snag it also! 😉 Also, Mato, I just read a manga called “Pokemon Adventures” basically chronicling the adventures of Pokemon Red and Blue in manga format, something interesting was that the story was by Hidenori Kusaka, and the art was by someone named Mato! 😛 Literally, just Mato, no last name or anything, quite neat eh?

Halloween said on Apr. 14, 2010

Home Bound? Alternate box art? That’s crazy, I wonder just how much stuff is still out there that we don’t know about EarthBound.

Poe said on Apr. 14, 2010

I’d like to see some backstory for these. Like where did Jesse win these (we would have caught it if they showed up on ebay) and what information did the seller give?

KingDarian said on Apr. 14, 2010

:O :O :O

Maybe Home Bound is another prerelease temporary title, kind of like EarthBound NES’s former registered trademark SpaceBound.

Wasn’t that unusual boxart used in one of the ads for the game or a Nintendo Power article? I’m positive I’ve seen it before.

Jesse, owner. said on Apr. 14, 2010

Hey, I assure you they’re the real deal. They came from this auction…

I spotted it way early while doing a virtual boy search…I also collect virtual boy…

anyway the seller was from Washington state and said they were given to her son from Nintendo back in 94/95. I have an entire sheet of different slides from different games. Hope this information helps.

jesse again said on Apr. 14, 2010

oh, I asked the seller if they had a buy it now price in mind and we settled on a price and did everything off ebay.

MoonSide said on Apr. 14, 2010

I saw that box art on a NP ad scan, here. I love the box art better and also the name HomeBound. It sounds more mature and true to the story. Great find Jesse and thanks for the pictures!

Jesse, once more said on Apr. 14, 2010

Just looked through some of the paperwork I got with all them and I found where the “home bound” slide was actually used. Look here…

again, everything is very real. I wouldn’t even know where to start to fake something like this.

KingDarian said on Apr. 14, 2010

D: It went for only $10!?

Whoa, crap! Star Fox 2 slides are included as well? You’ve hit the jackpot.

KingDarian said on Apr. 14, 2010

…and they spent $2million on advertising for EarthBound? New trivia stats to remember!

jesse said on Apr. 14, 2010

haha yeah dude, i learned a lot from this stuff too.

neonix said on Apr. 14, 2010

Why does the auction say 0 bids?

jesse said on Apr. 14, 2010

Because I messaged the seller and asked if she had a price in mind and we settled on something off ebay. She said someone from nintendo gave them to her son. I already asked if she had anything else and she said this was the last of it.

Mato said on Apr. 14, 2010

Man, that’s some really cool info. Thanks for the clarification, jesse.

By the way, on that press release looking thing, does it mention EarthBound anywhere? I’d love to see how they try to hype it that early before its release.

jesse said on Apr. 14, 2010

They mention earthbound a few times in the papers, nothing crazy or too in-depth. I’ll try and find everything and send you some scans!

Anonymous said on Apr. 14, 2010

Jesse,

Get those slides to a pro photo lab (NOT walgreens/CVS)and have them scanned! Would love to see more detail on that box art.

pooppoop said on Apr. 14, 2010

heh, if it was called “home bound” i’d hate to imagine what would happen to king…

because you see king was the dog, and also there was a book and movie series called homeward bound which featured dogs and lots of bad things happening to them.

LucasTizma said on Apr. 14, 2010

@jesse: Any chance you’d be willing to part with those slides for a sum of money greater than you paid for them? 😀 I’m a crazy MOTHER/EB collector, and these are really awesome items. XD

neonix said on Apr. 14, 2010

I already tried LT, and he was able to turn down a hefty offer. 😛

Linkdude20002001 said on Apr. 15, 2010

I think “Home Bound” was supposed to be a joke ’cause he was nearby his home. Or maybe not…

Violet said on Apr. 15, 2010

That unused box art looks very cool actually. Kind of a mix between the Mother 2 logo and EarthBound logos. If the game hadn’t been released in that huge box, I expect that art would have been used instead.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, […]

Nintenario said on Apr. 16, 2010

“Home Bound?” Sounds like it would’ve been the name if the NES prequel Earth Bound was released…

I like the meteor logo, but the final box art kinda reminds me of those old NES box arts that had a blown up mockup of in-game graphics, just jazzed up. So it might be more appropriate.

Find Merchandise!