April 30th, 2010 | MOTHER 3

When Jeffman and I worked on the MOTHER 3 translation, we realized there was a lot of 8×8 font stuff going on in the game, so we had to make a modified version of the EarthBound font for those instances. Well, Mirz has taken that font and made it into a real font file you can use on your computer!

Hey there. I have been working on a version of the Mother3 font which is used on the pick-a-name screen. It’s a version of the main font (which is replicated with the Appleboy font), but it features the characters as they appear in the upper name box. The most prominent difference being that the y and other “hanging” letters are condensed so they don’t fall below the baseline. I have also replaced several of the lesser-used characters with symbols included on the input screen, like the music note, etc.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if you or your readers would be interested in it. Took me quite a while to do, but I’m happy with the results.

You can find a link to the font and a downloadable version on my deviantART page.

Now you too can use the custom font we made for the fan translation!

9 Comments to Mini MOTHER 3 Font!

blahmoomoo said on Apr. 30, 2010

Nice, just added it to my font folder.

Too bad this font does not like to scale though… on some letters it chops off most of the last column if the font is not 6pt viewed at 100% zoom.

neonix said on May. 1, 2010

Well, that’s the nature of a pixel font. Nothing much you can do there. 😛

Pretty cool to see. You’re gonna have to add this to the font pack download Mato!

Skye said on May. 1, 2010

I’ll add it to the Earthbound resources on the SVO website 🙂

sticktendo said on May. 1, 2010

Wow, great font! The inclusion of stuff like the musical note is really cool. But I found using bigger sizes seemed to work fine for me, even if it cut off some characters.

SamWibatt said on May. 1, 2010

Thanks! I do a bit of hobbyist GBA/NDS development from time to time and the bitmap preview image of the font is a handy resource for snipping letters out!

Greiv said on May. 1, 2010

Pure secks. Awesome font!

Mirz said on May. 1, 2010

Thanks for mentioning the font on the site. I’m glad everyone likes it.

I wasn’t aware that this was a modified font created by the translators. I would love to get the names of everyone who contributed to the original lettering and give them credit on the font. Just email me the info and I’ll gladly add it!

Poe said on May. 1, 2010

“Earth Momma” nice, hehe

Mirz123 said on May. 15, 2010

I am not sure if anyone had a problem with this font, but I had some reports that certain word processing programs did not render some of the lowercase letters correctly. I have corrected the issue and uploaded an updated version of the font on my deviantART page if anyone is interested. You can also pick this font up at http://www.fontspace.com.