April 3rd, 2010 | EarthBound, Events, Merchandise, MOTHER 1

The Giant Mr. Saturn arcade event in Japan ended not too long ago, and I’ve been watching for reports from eventgoers. I plan to update this post for the next day or so as more info comes in, so check back regularly!

Update #1

From here:

This person (we’ll call him/her “B”) spent like two hours trying to catch the MOTHER 3 Mr. Saturn in a crane game, just as they were almost out. Immediately after, was able to get one of the new mini Mr. Saturns.

Here’s a photo with the giant Mr. Saturn:

B then tried to list the upcoming prizes that were on display to the best of his/her ability:

• MOTHER Character Figures #1: Ninten, Ana, Teddy
  • MOTHER Character Figures #2: Lloyd, Pippi
  • MOTHER 2 Character Figures #1: Ness, Paula, Poo
  • MOTHER 2 Character Figures #2: Jeff, Pokey, Mr. Saturn (maybe?)
  • MOTHER 2 Character Figures #3: Starman, Starman Jr., Starman DX
  • MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #1: Ness, Tracy, Mom, King
  • MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #2: Jeff, Dr. Andonuts, Mr. Saturn
  • MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #3: Paula, Lucky, Nice (another name for Gorgeous I believe), Venus
  • MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #4: Poo, Pokey, Picky, something else?
  • MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #5: Trash Can Mr. Saturn, Ball and Chain Mr. Saturn, Master Belch

Apparently all the figures had the same look and feel as the clay models in the strategy guides. I’m pretty sure they won’t be clay though and won’t be exactly the same as those clay models.

Also, there might be more figures, but B can’t remember. That’d definitely be a lot to try and remember. It’d be a lot easier if they allowed photography, but the event people specifically forbid any photos during the time they were being shown off. But it already sounds really cool, so I hope we’ll get more info soon!

Update #2

I found a lot more pics and stuff, they’ll come later on. For now, enjoy this comparison of the super giant Mr. Saturn with the recent mini Mr. Saturn. It took me a second to even realize it was there πŸ˜›

Update #3

The stickers are already on Yahoo Auctions Japan! See here!

Update #4

Apparently the giant Mr. Saturn runs on electricity; there isn’t a guy in there. I thought that might be the case since I saw the power outlet next to it in the video with Itoi. I also believe the Mr. Saturn is going to be shown at various arcades over the next few months too, so this won’t be the only chance to see it.

As expected, a lot of people showed up for the event. I’ve read that a large percentage of the attendees were couples who were all around the same age, which I guess is an interesting phenomenon.

There were crane games with Mr. Saturn plushes in them, plushes that were no longer normally available. It cost 200 yen per try to get one, and I heard the lines for these crane games were insanely long. That’s a pretty awesome business model for Namco/Banpresto πŸ˜›

All in all, I’ve only read positive things about the event and the upcoming figures. So even without any new games or anything, fans are still really attached to the series!

Pics

If new info ever comes in I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated!

56 Comments to Giant Mr. Saturn Event Round-Up

Linkzcap said on Apr. 3, 2010

It’s really a bummer that stuff that people in Japan could get just by playing a crane game is worth so much to us in the US as well as other countries… I really wish Nintendo gave the fans more of what they wanted.

Poe said on Apr. 3, 2010

Ohhh man, this is so cool. So much stuff! ebay is gonna explode in a few months :B

Onion said on Apr. 3, 2010

Oh woooowwwwwwwwwwwwww. I’m going to fight tooth and nail for the full size figures, that’s for sure. I’ll do whatever it takes if they end up looking like the clay models!

That giant Mr.Saturn is AWESOME! I wish I had been able to get a picture with it. Ah well maybe in the future.

JoeShmoe said on Apr. 3, 2010

Aw, no Giygas/Giegue/Gyiyg. We’re in dire need of some official art for that sucker. ):

Poncho said on Apr. 3, 2010

How big are the figurines? Full sized?

Satsy said on Apr. 3, 2010

AAAAAAAAAAAA I can’t wait till these hit the auction sites — I’m going to spend so much but it’s gonna be so worth it

Ninji said on Apr. 3, 2010

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ˜›

kindafunky said on Apr. 3, 2010

mmm… Starman figure!

neonix said on Apr. 3, 2010

Woot! Trash can Mr. Saturn!

I’m gonna go broke getting all of these, but at least I’ll have them to draw my attention away from my bank account.

On a questioning note: I wonder why they have them listed in sets. Maybe they are going to come in those sets all bundled up, maybe packaged? (I would hate that, because I would never want to remove them, but I’d want to put them in poses and stuff) Or maybe they come attached in sets like that (would terribly suck), or possibly they just revealed them in parts like that. Hmmmm…

Onion said on Apr. 3, 2010

Maybe they’ll be released in waves?

TheBatFax said on Apr. 3, 2010

Guess I’ll go ahead and start saving now. I sure hope that those are sets, since it’d be a lot less stuff to buy.

Pigmask Private said on Apr. 3, 2010

Yeah, so um… I’m gonna go get a job… like now.

BottleRocket said on Apr. 3, 2010

Yes! This stuff will be amazing! I’ve wanted to see the clay figures in person, but getting to buy a model of them is even better! Guess I’m gonna have to start saving up.

IWANNAPIZZAAIRFRESHENER said on Apr. 3, 2010

I’d really like all of the upcoming prizes to be honest with you, but do to ravid fans on Ebay, I’m better off buying a plane ticket and trying my luck at said crane game.

IWANNAPIZZAAIRFRESHENER said on Apr. 3, 2010

Oh and Mato, you made an error

“β€’MOTHER 2 Mini Character Figures #5: Trash Can Mr. Saturn”

It’s Dr. Mr.Saturn

neonix said on Apr. 3, 2010

Actually, it’s just “Dr. Saturn” if you want to be anal about it. πŸ™‚

Kyoo said on Apr. 3, 2010

my mind figuratively exploded when I read all that.

IWANNAPIZZAAIRFRESHENER said on Apr. 3, 2010

@Neonix- That’s Doctor Professor Mr.Saturn to you πŸ˜›

Mato said on Apr. 3, 2010

I’m just going by what that site said. I know it’s Dr. Saturn.

Vanasto said on Apr. 3, 2010

Strange how they aren’t making anything from Mother 3? Maybe it’s not as ‘classic’ (yet) or something? Nonetheless, these Mother 1 and 2 figurines are like 10 years overdue and sound like they’ll be a hit! I hope they’re not doing them in really limited quantities… need some quality merchandise where the value doesn’t skyrocket and exclude less-wealthy fans such as me!

KingDarian said on Apr. 3, 2010

Banpresto has invented a vacuum…that can instantly suck all the money out of my wallet. :O

I’ve gotta find a way to get them all~

LucasTizma said on Apr. 3, 2010

Hm. Interesting. Stickers already acquired. I hope the figurines will be easily obtainable on YAJ! I want them alllllll!!!!!!!

santiagoff said on Apr. 3, 2010

I so wanted to be there >:

P Philosophy said on Apr. 3, 2010

Wow! Such a cool event! Happy to know that the Mother series is still alive and kicking in Japan.

The figures I hope become available. Though I wonder if they’re limited edition or will be mass produced. Bet also giant Mr. Saturn got lots of love that day. He’s like a monument. Hee hee…

WhatsHerFace said on Apr. 3, 2010

Urrrrrrghhhhhhh Stuff like this makes me so jealous! I mean, even for games popular in the US, we don’t usually get events like this! The last one I can think of was the Punch Out event at the Nintendo Store, but that was more of a tournament than a cool event like this…!

Kyoo said on Apr. 3, 2010

I’m so jealous, I wish I was Japanese. why? for mother!

NO OTHER REASON!

that would be a good enough reason to completely alter my culture…

change my culture. for a game πŸ˜›

whurz said on Apr. 3, 2010

Kyoo, you wouldn’t be the first to do that!

Ginrei said on Apr. 3, 2010

Wooow~! I didn’t expect this! How neat… but expensive. It’d be cheaper to buy crochet dolls from me. πŸ˜‰ If I had time, I’d SO make myself a Mother 1 set… sigh…

Onion said on Apr. 4, 2010

@Lucas – You already got a set of stickers? Wow that’s impressive! Was there a ‘BIN’ auction or do you have an insider?

Violet said on Apr. 4, 2010

It’s kinda sad that they’re not doing Mother 3 figures… I’m not aware of any, but I’d kill for a Kumatora or Violet figure. Then again, I’d kill for a Starman figure too.

Poncho said on Apr. 4, 2010

I don’t think we’ll see Mother 3 characers. Only because there are no clay models of them or 3d models in brawl…I hope though.

This is still fantastic news. I think you can find cheaper options than ebay though.

Satsy said on Apr. 4, 2010

Poncho’s already said what I was gonna say.

It’d be kinda cool if they were doing something in secret, though. πŸ˜‰ Just not likely.

Ice Sage said on Apr. 4, 2010

MOTHER 1 FIGURES DO WANT.

Too bad I probably won’t be able to afford any, though. And yeah, eBay and YAJ are going to explode pretty soon.

SHYKOOPA said on Apr. 4, 2010

Hey Tomato, this is going to be off topic I know, but do you know if Earthboudn got released here in South America?

Mr. Beefy said on Apr. 4, 2010

^LOL WUT

SHYKOOPA said on Apr. 4, 2010

What? I’ve never encountered a site which says if the game got released in the rest of America or not. Even if I were wrong, where’s the funny part?

Johnwalt said on Apr. 4, 2010

OMG!!! That Mr. Saturn is HUGE!!!!
I want it πŸ˜€

Chewy said on Apr. 4, 2010

What, no bloggers mentioned the two lonely foreigners that showed up at the event? πŸ˜‰ I managed to make it into Tokyo for the event and plan on writing up a blog post for it tonight. It probably won’t have as much information as the posts you already featured, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to have more pics and accounts.

Pigmask Private said on Apr. 4, 2010

Alright, Chewy! I figured you’d make it to the event.

While you may not have pics, could you describe the way the figures looked?

Kyosuke said on Apr. 5, 2010

Glad you were able to make it, Chewy! Can’t wait for the pics. Really wish I could have too.

neonix said on Apr. 5, 2010

Hey Chewy, did you get any extra sticker sheets? I’d like to buy ’em. πŸ™‚

[…] Event details here addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

[…] Earthbound Central has some pictures and coverage of the event, so check it out. […]

Maya said on Apr. 5, 2010

Oh man! I can’t wait to see pics of these surface. They sound great, and of course I want them all. πŸ˜›

I hope I can afford at least one.

Felipe said on Apr. 10, 2010

Anyone knows if someone on Ebay is going to sell the clay models?

I just NEED them!

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 14, 2010

I’ll pay 5 grands for one of those Mr. Saturn plushies. No, I’ll pay any amount of money for one!

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 14, 2010

Kyoo, I would change my culture for MOTHER stuff and exclusive Pokemon events! And, your username is Articuno’s cry before the battle. I’m such an RPG nerd…

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 14, 2010

I want exclusive MOTHER 2 Mr. Saturn stickers! πŸ˜› I WANT THEM…! :p (Drooling)

Poe said on Apr. 15, 2010

Why is it that most of the pictures of people with Giant Mr. Saturn are edited to hide their faces? I understand being too embarrassed to show yourself in pictures, but the edits up there are a little weird and extreme.

neonix said on Apr. 15, 2010

I’m assuming the same person censored all the faces. And their method was just to make it funny, which I think they succeeded in doing.

Mato said on Apr. 15, 2010

Poe: Japanese people are really sensitive about privacy and their identities out in public. It’s just the way things are there.

neonix: I got most of those pics from different places, so they all covered themselves up, not just one person.

Poe said on Apr. 15, 2010

Man, if I had the chance to be photographed with a giant Mr. Saturn, I’d throw privacy out the window. I would use the picture in my presidential campaign.

VOTE FOR POE
she hugs aliens

Allison said on May. 4, 2010

Why did they not make a lot of mr. saturns? im just sayin’ cuz they would sell like hotcakes!

iwata kicks you know what said on Jan. 4, 2011

What I would pay for a giant Mr. Saturn!

Matteomax said on Apr. 3, 2011

WTF!!! THAT IS NOT FAIR!!!!! WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THESE PLUSHES AND FIGURES AT AN ARCADE AND THIS EVENT!!I guess we can only wait…..

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

World need more Mr. Saturns, ding!