April 20th, 2010 | MOTHER 3, Polls

On April 20, 2006, MOTHER 3 was released in Japan. It’s hard to believe it’s already been four years since then, or that the English translation patch has been out for a year and a half now 😯

I already sort of covered memory lane stuff the past few years, on here and on the M3 translation blog, so I won’t rehash all that. Instead, I’ll point out these two old forum threads that might rehash those old feelings instead!

Check ’em out and see how in the dark we were about things and how right or wrong our guesses and assumptions were!

And while we’re here, I’ll ask this. What was your favorite chapter in MOTHER 3? Click here to answer!

POLL: What was your favorite chapter in MOTHER 3?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

39 Comments to Four Years Since MOTHER 3

DoseiSan said on Apr. 20, 2010

Hahaha, I remember seeing the announcement and first and screaming to my friends upstairs “HEY GUYS A MOTHER GAME IS COMING OUT THAT WE CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD!”

Good times.

KingDarian said on Apr. 20, 2010

It’s too bad oldforum spoiler tags don’t work. So many good posts are basically lost.

Happy Fouryearversary!

Poe said on Apr. 20, 2010

So who tried to play the game in Japanese and who waited for the translation? ;D

neonix said on Apr. 20, 2010

I love all the chapters. :E

Linkzcap said on Apr. 20, 2010

Very good question Mato. In order for me:

Prologue

Very mixed..

Murcielo said on Apr. 20, 2010

To be very honest, it would be the chapter 1 because that part of the game still lingers in my mind and a few other things I won’t mention because I hate spoilers. I’ve yet to pass chapter 7 and I’m going to restart eventually. I want to do a video let’s play of this game one day, but EB’s still the main project at the moment.

aipe said on Apr. 20, 2010

Chapter 6 was definitely the hardest. Also my favorite

MG said on Apr. 20, 2010

Chapter 4. It’s probably cuz I’m a music lover that I like that Chapter. Also, I got through the dungeon without dying on my first try!

Flaminshrooms said on Apr. 20, 2010

I would totally say chapter 3, but I was horribly scarred by that 3000 HP Pork Tank on hard mode, so I’d have to go with chapter 5, the first time you get the whole party together.

Also, it’s coincidentally weed day and (if the sources didn’t lie) Hitler’s birthday.

ha said on Apr. 20, 2010

Very easily 7, like the majority.

Don’t get me wrong, I love everything about Mother 3 that ISN’T Earthbound, but even so, Chapter 7 was the most enjoyable to me, and very familiar Earthbound-style to boot. It felt like a normal, shorter, more compact, and BETTER, sequel to Earthbound, than Mother 3 as a whole.

All chapters were fantastic.

MarioFan3 said on Apr. 21, 2010

It’s difficult to decide, the question should be “What part of Mother3 ISN’T awesome?” for me y’know? 😉 The game is just wow for a GBA, I’ve played through it 6 times and I still want to play through it again.
Seeing as we’re only allowed a “favourite chapter, I’m gonna go with Chapter 1 as it’s probably one of the best intro’s I’ve seen! It actually drew me into feeling involved with the story, games don’t seem to do that very often. My heart was touched right there in that chapter, it was just beautiful.

[…] Via | EarthBound Central […]

Gon said on Apr. 21, 2010

Wow, hard choice. I’d said 8 for nostalgia and 7 because it’s so quirky (and that’s saying a lot considering) and because of negative man who I found to be an incredibly funny enemy.

me said on Apr. 21, 2010

2 because of funky monkey dance.

EarthBoundRules said on Apr. 21, 2010

My order is probably:

I love 1 and 3 because you’re so involved in the story, I like 7 and 5 because the gameplay rocks, the end of 8 is amazing but I found the character diologue lacking, 2 is kind of fun but doesn’t seem needed, 6 is short but sweet and 4 is too Earthbound-ish and I feel it has the worst original music.

J said on Apr. 21, 2010

This is really hard. I.. I can’t decide!

KingMike said on Apr. 21, 2010

The “Mother 3” topic I remember is where people discussed where they were at in their imaginary version of the game (I think it was actually shortly before the GBA version was announced, when people still thought the cancellation of EB64 meant they’d never really play the game). 😀

Roo said on Apr. 21, 2010

I’ve gotta say 4 was my favorite. Mostly because it was at that point in the game that I truly felt this was a successor to EB. Not that the game before that was bad, but I loved the more “modern” feel of the game from chapter 4 on. I don’t know, maybe it’s a nostalgia attack.

Henk de Vries said on Apr. 21, 2010

I never played it since I cant stand playing (handheld)games on an emulator…

starstormer said on Apr. 21, 2010

I liked chapter 4 the most since it was when you finally got to play as the main character. You saw him grow and develope in earlier chapters but then in four you see the changes in his character and can now play as him.

LakituAl said on Apr. 21, 2010

Chapther 2 and 4 are superlative favorites.

I tried to play the game unpatched at my 5 playtrhough, after a semester of Japanese. Not quite understand everything, but it has its charm.

Commander said on Apr. 21, 2010

When you think about it, didn’t it take a good few years for Itoi to decide on even making 3? Maybe he’ll change his mind, either way (Glances at Chase) We WILL get it someday

PKFIghter201 said on Apr. 21, 2010

Chapter 6 was just awesome

Darien said on Apr. 21, 2010

Chapter 1 was my favourite, narrowly edging out Chapter 8. On the low end of the scale I’d put Chapter 6, which was just an extended cutscene with no game in it at all.

NessLucas-zero said on Apr. 21, 2010

The chapter 8. I really, REALLY loved all the EarthBound references they made there. New Pork City is just Awesome. Every part of MOTHER 3 is amazing, but my favorites chapter are 8 and 1.

spitefulcrow said on Apr. 21, 2010

Man, time flies, doesn’t it? I have to say that my favorite chapter is chapter 4. I loved the transition between old and new Tazmily. There was so much that had changed and it was really neat to go and explore all of the differences. Plus there’s that guy who saves your life by stopping you from entering the train tunnel; he was awesome!

NeonSquid said on Apr. 21, 2010

So, Mother 3 came out on 4/20 eh…..

Bealzabub said on Apr. 22, 2010

Chapter 6 and the ending, because I’m a living angst bucket.

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 24, 2010

Well, for meh, this would be my ranking.

My job is done.

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 24, 2010

My favorite is 2 ’cause of the funky Wess dance and playing as Duster was kewl, I love the Zombeat.

Max said on Dec. 17, 2010

I loved the whole game, even chapter 6… But from least to most its

Being samba was fun but hard… My favorite character was Kumatora

Miche said on Dec. 17, 2010

I loved all the chapters, especially chapters 1 through 4 because those were the most plot-heavy and I enjoyed switching between characters. I don’t think I could put them in order because, honestly, I loved the entire game (and most of the chapters would be tying, anyway).

Ninten3274 said on Apr. 19, 2011

Someone or other said on Jun. 23, 2011

Chapter 6 was awesome, but I still have trouble with the bonus boss…

Of the others, all of them are my favorites, but I’ll go with Chapter 7 for second place cause it’s the only one with Mr. Saturn.

Irama said on Jul. 9, 2011

I finished the game just yesterday, and I’m really happy someone told me about it! Better late than never!

Favourite chapter… Chapter 1, without a doubt. Its memory will haunt me forever. I’ll probably start to cry each and every time I will think about it.

For the others, I am not really sure about any order. I liked the first part (first 4 chapter, plus chapter 6 and 8’s very last part) more than the rest, though. It must be something about the feeling I got while playing these.

Emi said on Oct. 11, 2011

I actually find Thunder Tower to be the most engaging chapter. No depressing stuff, the gang’s all there, and it’s also in the very middle of the game.

Loidrage said on Oct. 11, 2011

Chapter 2 has always been my favorite chapter. It just has that sense of adventure that some of the other chapters don’t. And plus, it introduces Duster and Kumatora(Duster had already appeared in chapter 1, but he isn’t really fully introduced until Chapter 2).

Mr. A said on Jan. 28, 2012

I gotta say 2nd and the 5th one just after it. Because it is in the second chapter when I really started to fell in love with the game (I also grinded Duster alot, so he was extremely cool later on}. And the fitfth one really is just about pure fun (and I love Lucas in Masked Man’s suit). So shortly, for me it was: 2, 5, 8, 7, 3, 1, 4, 6

jinxkatty7 said on Jul. 8, 2012

I’m stuck between chapters 1, 7, and 8. :/ If I had to pick 1 I suppose it would be chapter 8. I like how the feeling of suspense feels when you finally arrive at the REAL 100th floor. Also that chapter includes some of my favorite enemies/bosses!

Find Merchandise!