April 25th, 2010 | EarthBound, Images

Floisonkeya posted these scans over on the Starmen.Net forums recently. Here’s what she said:

Well, a couple of days ago, the Official Nintendo Magazine of Australia and New Zealand, May 2010 was mailed to my brother and I, as so for every month. I was a little busy during the week, so I didn’t get around to reading it until today.

For the first time, in the 2 ½ years I’ve been collecting the magazine, there was a snippet in the “Virtual Unknowns” section, Earthbound-related. It was a tiny review on Earthbound. This is when my jaw dropped

(Note that the review is not 100% accurate, a meteor fell in Onett, not a meteor shower. And from what I remember, no dogs had yo-yos.) But that isn’t the thing that is literally jaw-dropping. It was the title of the two-page spread.

So, Nintendo of Australia and Nintendo of New Zealand would love to see Earthbound on the Virtual console, or at least the person who wrote the magazine would.

Any comments on this?

I guess Nintendo Power isn’t the only official Nintendo magazine to talk about wanting EarthBound on the Virtual Console – other countries’ official magazines want it too. Which is cool, because the game was never released in those other regions, yet it’s still wanted.

48 Comments to EB in Official Nintendo Magazine

Nin10dude said on Apr. 25, 2010

Something makes me think the intent of the article was “using yo-yos as a weapon with which to thwack dogs,” not “thwack dogs which are in possession of yo-yos.” 😛

But awesome article, nonetheless. I wonder…if Nintendo of Australia and Nintendo of America, and perhaps even more Nintendo brances, team up against NCL, maybe they’d be a little more willing to change the game a bit to help with the lawsuit scares.

slu said on Apr. 25, 2010

he said whacking dogs WITH yo-yos. As in using a yo-yo as a weapon to whack dogs with. Not whacking dogs WIELDING yo-yos.

FinalstarmanDX said on Apr. 25, 2010

Some way somehow nintendo is going to have to give into fan pressure…. hopefully it’s soon.

Earthbound-less fan said on Apr. 25, 2010

Ahh i hope it comes on to Virtual Console!

RobertHMayfire said on Apr. 25, 2010

*sticks his fist in the air* Power to the Earthbound Fans!!!

Floisonkeya said on Apr. 25, 2010

Please forgive me guys,I have rather a lot of of ‘conprihension troubles’ I though it meant like Wacky dogs with yo-yos, as in the dogs have yo-yos.
But nonetheless, lets just all wish that this does mean Earthbound is closer to virtual console.

Mother 4 said on Apr. 25, 2010

It said “THWACKING” not “WHACKY”… Which still wouldn’t make sense. *Comprehension*.

Mr-J said on Apr. 26, 2010

This stuff really gets to me..Even the nintendo magazines are in support of Earthbound on the Vc, but still nintendo doesn’t do it…let us hope for a bright future! 😀

Floisonkeya said on Apr. 26, 2010

And for anyone who was wondering, there were two other games under the ‘Why are we waiting?” segment, Super Mario Kart SNES and Ducktales NES. The magazine should be out in stores in AUS pretty soon, you can recognise it by the huge Scribblenauts 2 picture on the front. The Earthbound snippet is on page 49.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

Mother 4 said on Apr. 26, 2010

North America has Super Mario Kart… Doesn’t Australia have it aswell?

Kyoo said on Apr. 26, 2010

I understand your comprehension troubles, as if I would have read that 3 or 5 years ago when my English wasn’t so great, I would have imagined it had the same meaning.

Anonymous said on Apr. 26, 2010

Strange – here in the UK, the two main Nintendo magazines(Official Nintendo Magazine UK and NGamer) have mentioned Earthbound several times within the past few months or so – despite EB never having been released over here.(I’m working on scanning some of the sections and will send them in shortly.)
In this month’s NGamer, I found 1)a section on EB’s Stonehenge, in a feature called ‘Around the World in 8-bit Days, and 2) some stuff about Giygas in a feature on final bosses. Of course, one day I’d like to see a huge article about the Mother series and its history, but unless I end up working there that’s probably never going to happen 😛 There’s a regular section on various fan-made things related to Nintendo(Mario mushroom hats, etc) where you can send stuff in – Perhaps I should say something about the M3 Handbook…(apologies for my poor English XD)

Omnomnominous said on Apr. 26, 2010

^ That’s me BTW. I forgot to put my name at the top >_<

Assorted Astrology-Related Names said on Apr. 26, 2010

I, an Australian, have also found snippets of Earthbound in our magazines. My favourite one, Hyper, has done a review of Mother 3 (It got 92 out of 100), and in another issue they lamented that it wasn’t Earthbound 64 and they thought it would’ve been cooler that way. They also did something on EB0 but I can’t remember what it was. Another gaming magazine had an Earthbound fan lamenting over why we didn’t have Earthbound here, and I remember getting confused as to why the response referred to it as “Mother 2”. I’ll see if I can’t scan them if I can find them in my library’s back issues. It’s mostly good to see that there are people interested in Earthbound here… I’ve only met two.

Dlakii said on Apr. 26, 2010

On that note, I vaguely recall an inquiry about MOTHER 3’s a few years back in a magazine; said magazine line are among the few I kept when I purged my stock thereof, so I’ll give it a look soon enough. I could be wrong, though; my memory sucks.

At any rate, it’s fantastic to see EarthBound support in an official magazine from around here. Whenever I mention EarthBound among friends – said friends being really into Nintendo products and Japanese culture in general – the first comment I get is always “is that the game Ness and Lucas come from?” Eh, I was like that not long ago.

Andy said on Apr. 26, 2010

I hope nintendo can work on the legal problems.

MarioFan3 said on Apr. 26, 2010

As a fellow Australian Mother series fan, I must say that Mother 2 / EarthBound would sell great on VC. 🙂 The style in which it’s in is really “out there” in the way that makes you wish more games were like it, such a shame though as it also has characteristics of it’s fellow RPG’s from the era eg. Final Fantasy I-VI Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, (list other RPG’s here) of either being poorly translated and/or unreleased outside the Japan and/or U.S regions. 🙁

Games like Sin and Punishment and Mario’s Super Picross managed to pass off the VC list though, so it makes me wonder “Why haven’t said RPG’s been seen on VC yet?” I really don’t get it, it’s things like “We got Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. on VC, but we DIDN’T get Final Fantasy IV itself… That’s a bit weird don’t you think?” :S

@People who want to read on 😀
It’s understandable why things didn’t get released back in the day, but I’m annoyed at the fact that they are still doing the kind of crap of not releasing things in certain regions today, take ExciteBots for example, we suck at getting games. 😉

I can’t possibly buy it “legally” according to them, they don’t allow games from other regions to run on my Wii, so I installed HomeBrew long ago to run imports, now they want to charge me $220 to ever fix my Wii just because I have HomeBrew installed? Sorry, I’m starting to get sick of Ninty for pulling all this crap. 🙁 If they want me to get the game but won’t allow me to do so “legally ” then uhm that thing they’re trying to stop called “piracy” will just have to grow (of course, I import games I can’t get) I guess they don’t want my 100 bucks (AUD) for a Wii game right? I’ll wave it all day and they still won’t get it, cool! :p

PK Mt. Fuji said on Apr. 26, 2010

Dog with Yo-yos, eh? QUICK! To the Fanart-mobile!

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 26, 2010

Holy crap, I remember reading this issue on the day it came out. It gets delivered in the UK as well.

neonix said on Apr. 26, 2010

This is good to see. Even if it doesn’t make enough impact, it spreads the EarthBound name to more regions and to readers who may not otherwise know of the game. Hopefully this is a sign that the popularity and demand is only growing larger and larger.

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 26, 2010

They kind of got that wrong. At the start, it says “The greatest game never to come out of Japan.”
WRONG!
It was released in North America!

Nessario said on Apr. 26, 2010

I can think of a perfectly logical explanation why they might’ve said that. See, they might be referring to the series as a whole, and… Nah, they just messed up.

But hey, it’s good to at least see EarthBound is still in demand. Sad to see Nintendo won’t budge.

Germ said on Apr. 26, 2010

When considering the statement: “The greatest game never to come out of Japan.” one must keep in mind the target audience of the publisher.

That is, to readers in these regions, the game actually never did come out of Japan. To residents of the United States, however, the game did come out of Japan.

Yoshimad123 said on Apr. 26, 2010

Oh hey, they sell this magazine here too.
I might buy it later this week.

And I think they meant thwacking dogs using yo-yos to thwack ’em with, not the actual dogs having yo-yos themselves.

starstormer said on Apr. 26, 2010

That had to be the best question I’ve heard all week. Why are we waiting? I know a lot of people have said its legal issues but I’m still not convinced thats why we’re waiting.

DaGamer64 said on Apr. 26, 2010

ever since i pressed the A button to kill Giygas and found out about the VC I`ve been going mental about the Earthbound series. I was THREE YEARS OLD WHEN I KILLED Giygas. I <3 Ness.

Ninji said on Apr. 26, 2010

It’s good to see some good-willed nature on EarthBound from SOME franchises, businesses, or branches of the Nintendo Company *gives NoA a bad look*

Ice Sage said on Apr. 26, 2010

I don’t know how many times that people have said that NoA can’t be held totally responsible for whatever happens to the MOTHER series, but I’ll say it anyway before potential bashing starts:

NoA is not responsible for EarthBound (or MOTHER) not being released on the VC.

Japan doesn’t have it on the VC either, so the decision to not release it is from NCL, not NoA. While NoA is responsible for not releasing M3, nothing else really was. They released EarthBound, and the only reason MOTHER wasn’t released was because of the bad marketing stage for RPGs at the time in the US – not because they had no intention of doing so.

Just wanted to clear that up.

LakituAl said on Apr. 26, 2010

Maybe if they had shown dogs playing with yo-yos in the add campaign instead of the “This game stinks” thingy they could have sold Earthbound just fine in the U.S. I mean, it was the nineties, anthropomorphic animals sold well in those times (just ask Disney…).

@Omnomnominous
If that is poor English, half of my classmates in my High School Biology class communicated by bonking each other on the head.

Kendall! said on Apr. 26, 2010

I really wish this would bring NOA, well, Nintendo in general to bring Earthbound to the virtual console!

chaobreeder20 said on Apr. 26, 2010

I dont have any VC games but i would download this in a heartbeat.^_^,that and Sonic the Hedgehog 4

MG said on Apr. 26, 2010

If only Call’N had been longer than a week…

Joel said on Apr. 27, 2010

YAY GO AUSTRALIA

Pkhypernova said on Apr. 27, 2010

If it goes to Australia I”M GOING WITH IT!!!!!!!!!! I NEED MAH URFBOUND 1111111 NEED IT!!!1

PKJovis said on Apr. 27, 2010

There has been a lot of these recently in ONM. My favourite was the “What Kind of Gamer Are You?” quiz where the 3rd answer was “Porky Minch. Oh, you’ve heard of him? Then it’s someone more obscure”.

neonix said on Apr. 27, 2010

Ice Sage, thanks for reiterating that point. It’s true, everything that has kept the MOTHER down are all unrelated unfortunate events. The series is seriously cursed. 🙁

8BitWalugi said on Apr. 27, 2010

Buh? I posted this a week ago. Well, I agree, it was surprising to see the game receiving some form of love from Australia, considering it wasn’t released here!

Paul said on Apr. 28, 2010

@Starstormer: It’s been said before, but it bears repeating that Mother 2 isn’t on the Japanese VC either, and I agree with you that that has to be because of more than just legal issues. (Or at least, bigger legal issues than we’ve heard about so far.)

I suspect that Sakurai was expecting it to be released on the VC a while ago, considering that it was a demo in the Japanese version of SSBB. And if so, that has unfortunate implications for the series even in Japan, let alone elsewhere.

Paperchris said on Apr. 28, 2010

In the English ONM this feature was included as well!!!
(it still made the dogs with yo yos and meteor shower mistake though!)

yut said on Apr. 28, 2010

It doesnt say diogs have yo-yos, paperchris.

PKSTARMAN said on Apr. 30, 2010

WTF?! Well, I would kinda say that the police really knows Kung-Fu but… Dogs… with… yo-yos?! This guys didn’t play the game. -_-

MarioFan3 said on May. 1, 2010

When it says “hit dogs with yo-yo’s” I knew what it meant, it literally means you’re hitting dogs with yo-yo’s. Where does “Your hitting dogs that have yo-yo’s” come from? :S
I don’t understand why that’s been misinterpreted but it happens I guess. If I said “I hit a guy with a baseball bat yesterday” would you think I said “I hit a guy yesterday who had a baseball bat”? Nin10dude, slu, Yoshimad123, and yut have also cleared this up so I’m just reiterating what they’ve said to make it a bit clearer… maybe. 😉

MotherMACDANCE--- said on May. 3, 2010

You’re thwacking (as in whacking) dogs with your yo-yo as a weapon. That’s pretty much cleared up.

Omnomnominous said on May. 5, 2010

Little things like ‘whacking dogs with yo-yos’ can easily be misinterpreted if you’re not a native English speaker, actually. It takes time to grasp certain forms of grammar/sentence structure if you’re not familiar with the language.
Also, I just found this article in the UK ONM – I always think it’s nice to see references to cult games in the main gaming magazines(it’s surprising, actually, how many small Earthboundy snippets there are in the UK magazines. I scanned a whole bunch of things like this, and will probably send them in eventually.)

blahblah said on Aug. 14, 2010

Whoever wrote that must’ve never played Earthbound.
Dogs with yoyos?

BigDream said on Sep. 6, 2011

Nintendo you dont liek this game you said! You dont want it on VC! So you lied!
YOU LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe the worlds largest nerd said on Oct. 9, 2012

if that is in the UK version of ONM, please send me a copy of the issue. also send ONM issue number 1 over too.