EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

April 12th, 2010 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I might’ve talked about this before, but I can’t tell if I’ve ever made a proper post about it.

Anyway, the EarthBound Box is known for its unusual size, but if you look closer, you might see that some of the screenshots on the back aren’t quite right:

click for larger version

It looks like they used the debug menu to take these screenshots, using an early version of the game. Ness can’t be by himself in zombie Threed, for example. And there’s still one of those red crosses on the hospital. Funny how they made sure to get rid of all the red crosses in the game but left one right on the box!

A few years ago I started a really detailed list of all the weird mistakes and weird oddities that the Player’s Guide had too. I doubt I’ll have time to put it together though. But I really love this sort of stuff for some reason 😀

34 Comments to EarthBound Box Weirdness

Bobbyjkl said on Apr. 12, 2010

I do, too! Also, the robot starman with Ness inside is another oddity.

PsiWolf674 said on Apr. 12, 2010

@Bobbyjkl
Ness isn’t inside the Starman–that’s his reflection.

There’s also a cross left in Burglin Park.

Dadalama said on Apr. 12, 2010

off topic but wasn’t Dalaam once snowy?

no name given said on Apr. 12, 2010

one of the worst typo’s in the player’s guide is that they say you can get the gutsy bat from the kraken in the sea of eden,which you actullay get from the bionic kraken in the very end of the game. So tell me how they messed that up!

slate_hazuki said on Apr. 12, 2010

@no name given
I hated that. You have no clue how many hours I pumped into killing the wrong kraken to get that gutsy bat as a kid. When I was older, maybe about 13 I realised it was a typo. Fought a Bionic Kraken… got it on the first try. I was sooooo steamed that I wasted so many hours and possibly days going after the wrong Kraken just because of a typo.

Ninji said on Apr. 12, 2010

Well, almost every guidebook has a typo of some sort so, you can’t really blame them 😛

Poe said on Apr. 12, 2010

^ There’s a difference between a misspelling and completely incorrect information. They could have done a little fact-checking before sending that baby to the printer.

wvlfpvp said on Apr. 12, 2010

FIRST LOL

Hey, can we quit this stupid “FIRST POST” crap? It irritates the hell out of me.

clausman said on Apr. 12, 2010

Me and my friend where trying to get the gutsy bat, and we failed at two things:
1. realizing that you can’t get the gutsy bat from the kraken and 2. getting the gutsy bat.

Murcielo said on Apr. 12, 2010

I already expected there to have been misplaced screenshots and typos (everyone makes those in one way or another), it’s just funny that it was found out about after all this time.

I could probably find tons of pictures in the strategy guide that they used from beta or during translation. I just skimmed over the guide and found 7 so far.

Kyoo said on Apr. 12, 2010

I didn’t read anyones comments so somebody might have already said this. but it looks like the graphics from the beta before Itoi got help from those other companies to finish mother two. you know. before it became a 24 bit game 😀 (sorry for the vagueness of this message, I forget the names of the companies right now because I’m to occupied to really think, also why I haven’t read others comments)

Tess said on Apr. 12, 2010

Couldn’t you visit these places after you get done with Giygas and such? I mean, I’m sure these were taken with the debug menu, but all in all, there are ways to get the shots without debug menu, I believe.

Mato said on Apr. 12, 2010

Definitely can’t get to zombie Threed with only Ness. It’s probably possible to go to Dalaam, even so it’s such a weird screenshot to use either way 😛

I think I noticed something else wrong with the box a while back too, can’t seem to recall what it was.

Kyoo said on Apr. 13, 2010

the bublegum monkey part looks all wrong as well!

Lionpikmin said on Apr. 13, 2010

I found another weird mistake in the Earthbound players guide. If you look on page 111 at the Magicant walkthrough, check out the screenshots, one of them shows naked Ness, although NoA was strictly against that nudity case.
I wonder how they managed to produce such a faulty guide book!

neonix said on Apr. 13, 2010

^Being pressured to put it out as fast as possible because it had to packaged with the game; any delay in the guide would have delayed the game. So obviously they had to play with an early version, probably with a rougher translation which added to the errors.

Gabriel said on Apr. 13, 2010

Interesting find, I suppose, but nothing unexpected. This kind of inaccurate information on box covers or guide books is quite common, I believe.
On an unrelated note, what is it that keep you busy all the time, Tomato? Just wondering.

[…] link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

sdg said on Apr. 13, 2010

Maybe they only had ness as to not spoil the other characters that would be in your party?

Mato said on Apr. 13, 2010

Gabriel: Well, I’m a freelancer so when work comes, you gotta work like crazy. Also, I’m working on a few projects at once, one is basically like a second job right now, so there’s not much time in the day for other stuff lately.

shibaru said on Apr. 13, 2010

Lol at dalaam

Nessario said on Apr. 13, 2010

You have to wonder. Didn’t Mother 2 come out in 1994? And EarthBound, 1995? So why are there prototype screenshots by EarthBound’s time? Maybe they originated from the back of the Mother 2 box or some other publication, and the localizers never noticed? It’s just a little strange to see prototype screenshots and mockups after the initial release, though the same thing happened in the original Super Mario Bros. 3.

Ricardo said on Apr. 13, 2010

Mato, I’m curious… what’s your secret project?
It’s Earthbound Related?

Gabriel said on Apr. 14, 2010

Mato: Thanks for reply. 🙂
Ricardo: The only project I can think of is his EB0 one; however there must be others.

Ricardo said on Apr. 19, 2010

Gabriel: Long ago, Mato said he was working on a secret
project. I’m not sure if was the Mother 1+2 translation.
Anyways, M1+2 translation isn’t done yet…

Davis Pruisman said on May. 2, 2010

mother 3 and mother 2 are awesome games but they are very very hard to get. you should make the mother games unchanged but make them for nintendo DS and DSI and sell lots at places like Target and Walmart. because most people don’t know about the games but if you put them in stores they will get get bought by people and they will be a hit. i love the mother series and so will everyone else will to. i might be only 9 but i can make a differnce! you should check out chuggaaconroy’s youtube videos on mother1 2 and 3 p.s. i live in (my address cut out because I’m not smart)

Davis Pruisman said on May. 2, 2010

what is the secret project everyone is talking about

Pigmask Private said on May. 2, 2010

It’s a secret for a reason, yo

abdul said on May. 13, 2010

Davis Pruisman: Why are you telling people your home address?

Anonymous said on Jun. 10, 2010

@david pruisman
you REALLY shouldn’t post your home address anywhere online. ESPECIALLY if you are 9. Also, I think most people on this website have seen chugga’s LPs.

Omnomnominous said on Jun. 10, 2010

@davidpruisman

If you really are 9(Which I doubt you are, no offense but many spammers claim to be kids just to freak people out or get away with making highly irrelevant posts) It’s not advisable to post your home address and what is most likely your real name online. There are some weird people on the net – this community is probably one of the safer ones, but you need to be careful with information like that.

Ricardo said on Jun. 10, 2010

@davidpruisman Just like Omnomnominous said, you shouldn’t post your address in websites.
Anyways, Mato can’t sell the games, because they are Shigesato Itoi property (Shigesato Itoi is the MOTHER series creator) and selling them would be illegal. That’s why MOTHER 3 fan translation is free.

And…. I’m also waiting to know what the Mato’s secret project is….

Nate said on Sep. 1, 2010

The Dalaam is not a mistake. If you go there after dropping off Paula at the end you can be alone. May be true for threed as well

Robo85 said on Dec. 11, 2010

@Nate yeah you can go to Dalaam after doping off Paula, But defiantly not zombie Threed.