March 14th, 2010 | Weekly Round-Up

This was an interesting week with lots of cool stuff from the old days. Now let’s take a look at what other EarthBound stuff’s happened on the net last week!

Community News

My hair is attacking, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

After tons of awesome and rare merchandise, things were a little quieter this week on the swag front. Here are some of the highlights:

Remember, you can also see all the EarthBound / MOTHER stuff on eBay all gathered in one handy place here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

A set of FIFTY mini Mr. Saturn plushes 😯
– let’s see THEM ladder!

And stuff on Amazon:

What’s Up With Itoi

• Probably the most interesting thing this past week that Itoi talked about was how he’s often felt he’s in the absolute minority when it comes to certain things. One example he gives is that ever since he can remember he has peeled bananas by holding the black tip part facing up and peeling from there. At some point someone saw him do this and they were like, “What? You peel it that way? Nobody does that!” Itoi was surprised, but he only did what came to him naturally. He assumed that it wasn’t THAT surprising though, that probably 30% of people out there peeled it the same way.

But over time he started to realize the ratio wasn’t even close to 10%. Then the Internet came around, so he looked it up and saw that indeed, most everybody peels it the opposite way he does, and that only monkeys peel it the way he does. So he says maybe he’s actually a monkey.in nature.

Final Thought

Do exploding trees actually exist? The concept always seemed so odd to me. Where would someone even get the idea for that?

26 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #61

Ninji said on Mar. 14, 2010

The guy selling EarthBound for $295 called it “THE ALL-TIME KONAMI CLASSIC” People seriously need to do some research on the game before trying to sell it πŸ˜›

Roo said on Mar. 14, 2010

What surprises me (and the wife, who found this out) is the number of people who don’t know how to peel a banana at all without using a knife or somesuch. Just go to YouTube to see what I mean. I don’t know, I just took that knowledge for granted, I guess. Kinda like how toilet paper should always be dispensed from the top of the roll, not the bottom.

PK Mudkip said on Mar. 14, 2010

Trees never exploded in my life….but I still want to see that!

@Roo
People don’t know how to peel a banana!?

santiagoff said on Mar. 14, 2010

Itoi is a monkey, haha.

Reagle said on Mar. 14, 2010

Exploding trees is a real thing, but not in the sense of a big fiery explosion. In places where it gets very cold very fast, the sap inside trees may freeze (thereby expanding) and there have been cases of trees literally exploding from the pressure inside their trunks.

Poe said on Mar. 14, 2010

Sometimes if the banana isn’t quite ripe, it’s easier to peel it from the bottom. But then you get banana crud under you nails.

Jeagle101 said on Mar. 14, 2010

I never heard of a tree that could explode. Maybe one that Woody the Woodpecker lives in, but besides that, probably not…

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

@Roo
I’ve never heard of somebody using a utensil to open a banana. that sounds like their putting to much effort in something. I mean… I peel bananas without even thinking about it. to use a knife or some other tool. sounds like too much thinking involved for something as simple as opening a banana. that’s insane.

J said on Mar. 14, 2010

What about those banana shaped containers to hold bananas? Who buys those things?

Roo said on Mar. 14, 2010

Kyoo: It’s more like they cut the banana in half and then eat each half by peeling it from the middle. I agree, too much work.

Looking through some of the many many YouTube vids on banana peeling, though, it seems like there’s a bit of a war over which end is the correct one to begin peeling. Of all the things to fight over…

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

yeah. just goes to show how insane humans truly are. and when we have nothing real to complain about. we choose stupid meaningless things to fight over. the way I see it. the way you choose to do it is the correct way. and don’t ever let anyone tell you, you’re way is wrong, because it’s your way.

Darien said on Mar. 14, 2010

Aren’t you the same guy who just said it was “insane” for people to cut bananas in half and then peel them from the middle? Just checking. πŸ˜‰

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

@Darien
no, I just stated that I’d never do it that way because it was to much effort and involved to much thinking. but I’m saying it’s okay for them to do it if they want to. I said, “thats insane” that there are videos on youtube about it opening bananas. it was a side note not really connected to content of what I was saying. sorry for the confusion. I’ll try to be more clear with my future messages.

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

about exploding trees, I never come across any. but then again. I’ve never bashed a tree with a bat till it died either. so … maybe…. just maybe they explode if you do that. I’ve never tried. it seem illogical. but then again. I’ve never done a scientific study to prove or disprove such things. maybe that’s a trees natural self defense to death from baseball bats?

neonix said on Mar. 14, 2010

I was friends with the token Chinese kid in my class during high school. I was sitting with him at lunch one day and he peeled a banana from the bottom! I was like “What!? You peel it that way? Nobody does that!”

Seriously, recalling that anecdote made reading that so much more humorous.

Somehow, I’m not surprised Itoi peels his bananas oppositely the majority. He’s a very unusual guy and thinks quite differently from most people. It’s understandable that peeling from the small nub instead of the big easily gripped handle would feel natural to him. πŸ˜›

Shyamalan said on Mar. 14, 2010

The thing I don’t really understand about the bananas is that the top part is shaped just like a convenient handle! When you peel from the bottom, what do you hold on to?

Jupiter-x said on Mar. 14, 2010

At a summer camp I go to, lightning struck a tree in the woods, and the sap boiled or something. two hours later, the tree exploded. Nobody was nearby, but shards went flying.

P Philosophy said on Mar. 14, 2010

I have a hard time peeling bananas, no clue why. So usually I end up just cutting off the stem with a knife and then peel. Rarely eat bananas though, think I should practice more.

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

I think you have to use a knife because you rarely eat bananas I remember when I was a kid I had a hard time opening them. but I have them everyday. and I don’t have to even think about it now.

PK Mt. Fuji said on Mar. 14, 2010

Darn we’re all out of bananas. You guys are making me hungry.

Amos Defamos said on Mar. 15, 2010

Huh, odd.
I actually do peel bananas the same way that Itoi does.
Although, it wasn’t because it came naturally to me, it was because I learned years ago that monkeys did that, and I tried it out and found it easier than the “normal” way.

Glad to know I’m not the only person in the world who does this.

Mato said on Mar. 15, 2010

Heh, I just noticed that the auction for that $295 complete copy of EB says it’s a Konami game πŸ˜›

Mega said on Mar. 15, 2010

yes the trees can explode:
πŸ˜€
LMAO

Nooblet said on Mar. 15, 2010

Hey, guys anyone go the newest issue of nintendo power?

Check page two of the letter section, under “what would make 2010 the best year in gaming”

Yes, one of the letters mentions MOTHER 3 and earthboud anyone here send it?

sammo said on Mar. 18, 2010

it’s easier to peel bananas from the bottom sometimes if the stem won’t ripen

although it is messy, because often the seed gets stuck at the top and you have to pick it off

emobook101 said on Dec. 14, 2011

wow i have something in common with a genius πŸ˜€
and I would love to see a tree explode.