March 7th, 2010 | Weekly Round-Up

Gonna be another short weekly round-up this week, I’m mighty busy indeed. We did have some interesting stuff happen this past week, though. Here’s some other stuff from around the net that was EarthBound-related too:

Community News

I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

Things were a little slower this past week merchandise-wise. There were still some neat things and good deals, and here they are!

Remember, you can also see all the EarthBound / MOTHER stuff on eBay all gathered in one handy place here!

BTW, I’ve also noticed that MOTHER 3 Deluxe Boxes are getting very scarce on eBay and on Japanese sites. I checked, and the average price for them on eBay rose quite a bit in the past month. If you ever come across one for cheap, be sure to get it. They’ll probably only get more expensive as time goes on, much like EarthBound has.

Anyway, here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And stuff on Amazon:

Interesting how the game’s guide can fetch as much as the game itself!

What’s Up With Itoi

• This past week Itoi and everyone at his office went on a big trip. I didn’t pay too much attention, but it sounds like they might’ve gone to Kyoto this time. Last year they spent a lot of money and flew out to some islands. The trips are for letting off steam but also meant to give the employees ideas for stuff to write about or do projects about in the upcoming months.

Final Thought

If you haven’t yet, check out the Postcards for EarthBound thing!

And of course check out the new EarthBound Central forum!

Yesterday I hooked up my Super NES and played a little bit more of my game of EarthBound (using my crazy save file of course) and once again noticed how much better it felt playing the game on an actual system rather than emulation. I don’t know why that is, though. Anybody else been struck by this feeling? Or just the opposite?

22 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #60

BaG_2.0 said on Mar. 7, 2010

I’ll agree with you to an extent Mato, I have a hacked Wii with an Earthbound VC on it, and if does feel better on that than on an emulator on the computer. I never owned a SNES, but I did own an Earthbound cart that I grabbed from a garage sale (people never know what they have, I got it for 50 cents!). Til a “friend” sold it on ebay… he got $60 for it… and a black eye, heh heh heh.

Gummidge said on Mar. 7, 2010

Mato, I’ll know for sure when the game finally arrives here. It’s already a week late, but I guess that I should expect as much as I am emporting it from America

WhatsHerFace said on Mar. 7, 2010

I think that playing old videogames in general on a console (more so for the console they were meant for) than on a computer. When games from the SNES era were first released, were emulators widespread or even in existance then?
When many of us were young we grew attached to favorite games on those consoles. There’s a subtle kind of nostalgia that comes from hooking up an old console, plonking in your favorite game and playing it the way it was meant to be played as opposed to loading it up, and playing with a keyboard, able to save and load at any point.

Darien said on Mar. 7, 2010

Emulators definitely existed when Earthbound was first released, though they weren’t as common — nor as usable! — as they are now. Keep in mind that 1995 was pre-World Wide Web; they were sort of a technology looking for a scene.

P Philosophy said on Mar. 7, 2010

I feel the same way too. Nothing beats playing games on a console over a computer. I just find when I play a game on the computer I get distracted by the internet. Plus it kind of takes away from the moment when your computer interrupts with updates or decides to power off for windows updates. Just my thoughts. I’ll always love consoles for game playing.

BroBuzz said on Mar. 7, 2010

I’m glad I got my earthbound off of ebay a some motnhs ago. Beats playing it on a Emulator.

JoeShmoe said on Mar. 7, 2010

EarthBound was made for the SNES… which is a console game. For the television. The experience is NOT intended for a small computer screen. It’s the difference between watching a movie on YouTube, and watching a movie in a theater. Which would you want to see it on?

darkzzii said on Mar. 7, 2010

i stick with my hacked wii and mother 1+2 cart to play earthbound without a computer

Roo said on Mar. 7, 2010

I was just thinking about that the other day. Though it’s so much easier to just pull up a rom on the PC, I’d rather pull out the SNES (or NES, or whatever) in order to play a given game once I get the hankering.

I think at least for us older gamers, there’s a definite nostalgia factor that increases the fun factor for these games. We first experienced them on our big honking TV’s, so it’s like going home again or seeing an old friend to play them like that. In our mind, that’s how it should always be played – any other way is like a pale imitation.

SmaMan said on Mar. 7, 2010

I’ve played Earthbound on my computer for many years, and I’ve never been able to finish it because my hard drive will crash and I’ll have to start over. (I blame Giygas) Even when I brought it to the next level and used a special HP cable to hook my computer to my TV, something was missing.

Years later I did that VC hack… but something was still missing. So finally last week I shoveled out $74.75 for a copy of my own, to play in not exactly original hardware (Retro-Duo) but pretty dang close.

Kyoo said on Mar. 7, 2010

I fill gross. (really like i need to take a shower and usually do shower) if I play earthbound it has to be on the snes I even tried hooking up my computer to my TV and playing with an actual snes controller… it’s just not the same. I can’t figure out what’s different. but it feels like it’s lacking something. it’s like … I’m lying to myself. hard to explain.

? said on Mar. 7, 2010

I feel like the actual SNES produces a more bassy, rich sound, i’m probably wrong. Also, my pc speakers can’t compete with my stereo setup.

FuzzyPicklez said on Mar. 7, 2010

That’s why I use Homebrew Channel.

SuperBlooper057 said on Mar. 7, 2010

The reason it took me as long as it did to beat EB0 was because I hated having my eyes burn out of their sockets looking at a CRT. When I got around to playing it on my Wii however, I couldn’t stop!

Ninji said on Mar. 7, 2010

Hey guys, another VGA graded copy of EB is up on Ebay, now for only $2,999! 😀 Although it’s only an 85, it’s almost gold level! 😀

Portal-Kombat said on Mar. 7, 2010

Well, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. I have the actual Mother 3 cartridge, and it’s really cool to see on the Game Boy Player. However, the combos feel really awkward, and while the animation flows smoothly, it is rather jagged. Also, I can’t understand a word of it- except for WELCOME TO MOTHER3 WORLD.

On the translated version I have, the animation does not flow as smoothly, but the graphics come out smoother than the actual game, to the point where it almost looks like Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Also, I can combo very easily- and understanding all the text is definitely a plus. There’s also Hard Mode.

Overall, I prefer the translated one, but I still like having the actual game as well.

JeffMan said on Mar. 7, 2010

Man, am I glad I snagged my DX box when I did. I got the complete set for $185, including shipping.

Anonymous said on Mar. 8, 2010

Yes, I definitely prefer playing on a legit system. Absolutely NO emulation for me.

pooppoop said on Mar. 8, 2010

i can feel the attraction to play on the original systems, but honestly with my set up i don’t miss the old consoles.

i’ve got a nice old fashioned monitor, not lcd, so it looks and feels like an old tv. i’ve got a couple of usb plugs that let me use snes, n64, and playstation controllers. and most of all i’ve got savestates that make playing many games so much more pleasant.

it might take a bit of settings adjustments to make them look and sound like they would on an old system, but i feel it’s a small price to pay.

pooppoop said on Mar. 8, 2010

as for people who say “something is missing” from playing an emulator – my guess would be that settings adjustment i mentioned. on emulators graphics and sounds usually don’t match what they would be on a real system. there’s no emulator that’s a perfect match to an actual system. it can take a variety of plugins and messings with various levels. it’s made harder by the fact that the combination that is perfect for one game is rarely perfect for any other game. plus different emulators for the same system handing things in different ways.

like i said it can take some work to make each game right, but i consider it a trade-off for the various hassles of playing games on real consoles. a few examples would be the weeks or months it would take to find the games in real life, dealing with 20 year old hardware, dust screwing everything up, etc.

neonix said on Mar. 9, 2010

Damn, I had a $250 snipe set on those pogs, but it looks like LT had a max of $250 as well and he got sniped by an even higher roller, heh.

Jotokun said on Mar. 9, 2010

There is some magic behind playing with the real hardware instead of an emulator. I didnt have an SNES growing up nor did I know anybody who had one(the console of choice was the gameboy) and found one about a month ago. Its way better than emulation, every game I’ve ran on it feels more natural. Its not the TV either, because I’ve ran it on an LCD HD TV and while its a little pixely it still felt different.