Man’s Ultimate Friend
I’m not sure what magazine this is from, but it’s from way back when MOTHER 2 was released in Japan.
Basically, the magazine people made some Strawberry Tofu for Itoi to try, and he said:
This is really something! It has a profound flavor that makes me feel sad. (laugh) I thought this would be something an American with an unusual understanding of foreign cultures might make, but this is actually terrible!
Strawberry Tofu appeared in all three MOTHER games, but the EarthBound localizers changed it to Trout Yogurt before releasing the game in English. But if you want to see someone actually make Trout Yogurt, see here 😛
I remember Itoi talking briefly about Strawberry Tofu during the MOTHER 1+2 event, though it didn’t get included in that mini-documentary. As I recall, he said he came up with the idea thinking it was so crazy that nobody would ever make it, but years later he found out that some places in France or Italy (I forget) had been making a strawberry tofu dish for some time, just by coincidence.
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Tries Strawberry Tofu
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...