March 10th, 2010 | EarthBound, Food, Interviews, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

I’m not sure what magazine this is from, but it’s from way back when MOTHER 2 was released in Japan.

Basically, the magazine people made some Strawberry Tofu for Itoi to try, and he said:

This is really something! It has a profound flavor that makes me feel sad. (laugh) I thought this would be something an American with an unusual understanding of foreign cultures might make, but this is actually terrible!

Strawberry Tofu appeared in all three MOTHER games, but the EarthBound localizers changed it to Trout Yogurt before releasing the game in English. But if you want to see someone actually make Trout Yogurt, see here πŸ˜›

I remember Itoi talking briefly about Strawberry Tofu during the MOTHER 1+2 event, though it didn’t get included in that mini-documentary. As I recall, he said he came up with the idea thinking it was so crazy that nobody would ever make it, but years later he found out that some places in France or Italy (I forget) had been making a strawberry tofu dish for some time, just by coincidence.

19 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Tries Strawberry Tofu

KingDarian said on Mar. 10, 2010

πŸ˜€ This is hilarious

Roo said on Mar. 10, 2010

Forgive my ignorance, but does tofu have much of a flavor on its own? I thought it might be something like soy milk – a bit of a blank slate. And strawberry soy milk actually sounds kinda appetizing…

Dang it, now I need to find out if that exists.

Poe said on Mar. 10, 2010

Tofu basically soaks up the flavor of whatever it’s cooked with.

[…] Link addthis_pub = 'cortjezter'; addthis_hide_embed = false; addthis_options = 'delicious, digg, email, facebook, google, live, myspace, slashdot, stumbleupon, twitter'; Permalink […]

PK Coffee said on Mar. 10, 2010

Next to Itoi’s picture, it says “korewa sugoi.” But “sugoi” is in katakana. What’s up with that? Is that emphatic, like all-caps in English? Like “this is AWESOME!!!”? I’ve only known katakana being used for hiragana words when a robot is speaking or the word is written/spoken in the future.

I do wish they had kept it as Strawberry Tofu in EB. Or I wish that it had been Trout Yogurt in EB0 and the M3 translation. I just like continuity…

Mato said on Mar. 10, 2010

Yeah, it’s just emphasis, like all-caps or italics for us.

BroBuzz said on Mar. 10, 2010

Mmmm Tofu yum.

skyrunner14 said on Mar. 10, 2010

Now I’m envious… I really wish I could find a recipe for Strawberry Tofu. πŸ™

Darien said on Mar. 10, 2010

You could make a strawberry tofu smoothie. They’re not terrible uncommon, and they’re decent enough. Here’s a recipe that sounds about right: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Tofu-Smoothies

Note that it’s very important that you get *silken* tofu for this. Unless you like gritty chunks in your smoothie.

As for the flavour of tofu, it surely does have a flavour of its own, but it’s very mild, which is really what one should expect from bean curd. It is readily disguised by other flavours.

Mega Manβ„’ said on Mar. 11, 2010

Without knowing what it was, the picture made it look pretty tasty, actually πŸ˜€ I’d try it sometime…

santiagoff said on Mar. 11, 2010

If it sounds horrible, then it’s only natural for it to taste horrible xD

PK Mudkip said on Mar. 14, 2010

I wanna try now!

Kyoo said on Mar. 14, 2010

can anyone remind me who this was. somebody on starmen.net made his family eat strawberry tofu. he made a video of it on youtube. it was for pk tube N (I think)I believe… I could be wrong. either way the video… I believe was just pictures of what he did for christmas. but it was hilarious. that he forced his family to eat tofu with strawberry’s on it. no prep. just raw tofu. it looked so gross. and I couldn’t help but laugh at his family suffering.

Anonymous said on Jul. 28, 2010

I ate mango tofu once and it was fine. So surely strawberry tofu is ok.

PSI-Paula said on Dec. 12, 2010

Yummy~

Anonymous said on Oct. 17, 2011

Haha, poor Itoi. I remember on nicodouga a few fans had videos where they made their own version of Strawberry Tofu. It actually looked rather delicious to me!

RadicOmega said on Oct. 17, 2011

@Anonymous, Starwberry tofu is actually pretty good to me. It tasts like a foemy strawberry. And look at your comment in the recent comment thing. IT says you said it March 10th 2010 :D. But I wouldn’t try it though If I were you. A lot of my friends don’t like it.

Earthbound912 said on Nov. 2, 2012

Now give him trout yogurt. XD

Erin said on Jan. 16, 2013

While watching Iron Chef back in 2004, one contestant made Trout Ice Cream. While not exactly Trout Yogurt I wished that Itoi was a judge on that show!